close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chinese Physicists Smash Quantum Teleportation Record

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OctoberRust, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

Can't be done... over a distance of 100km, it's not meaningful to identify a particular particle.

3. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

And the Earth is flat. And the center of the universe. And God is real. :rofl:

4. Geko45

Well, it would be if it's the particles of your transporter beam!

:tongueout: :wavey:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  5. devildog2067

devildog2067

Scientists have not believed the Earth was flat... well... ever. Depends on when you decide to start calling folks scientists, I guess, but folks have known the Earth was round for at least 2500 years.

That's not even a sentence.

You cannot teleport "a particle" over a distance of 100km, because it's simply not meaningful to talk about "a" particle in those terms. Elementary particles are identical. You can't talk about "this electron" or "that electron" and in fact when you look at the math, a lot of interesting behavior comes about due to the fact that the particles are indistinguishable (the difference between fermions and bosons, the Pauli exclusion principle... there are many real, physical effects that come from this mathematical oddity).

So to say that it can't be done isn't a matter of blind faith in anything. It's more a recognition that the statement is in a way nonsensical. You cannot teleport "a" particle over a distance much larger than the size of the particle, filled with other stuff, because it's not possible to keep track of "a" particle over a distance that large. It may someday be possible to make an electron disappear "here" and have an electron appear "there" but there is no way to know if it's the same electron. It's simply not definable that way.

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

The comments section over on Wired has devolved into a debate about whether, if a teleporter were to disassemble your atoms here and reassemble different atoms somewhere else, if that counts as "dying."

Clearly they have a handle on the important questions :)

7. Geko45

However, I can think of one meaningful application. I realize this is nearly complete science fiction, but suppose you could tunnel particles with enough precision to reliably assemble hydrogen and oxygen atoms on the other side. You could, theoretically, tunnel those to a spaceship enroute and it would not have to carry fuel mass onboard and it would never run out (as long as the supply was not cut off at the source). You could also spend the entire first half of your trip accelerating and the entire second half decelerating which would allow for tremendous speed.

Of course, that all relies on the very questionable ability to reliably send multiple particle types to a known point in space through tunneling.

8. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Are you saying that when an electron tunnels through the gap in a tunnel diode, it is not the same electron that comes out? The original electron is destroyed and a copy of it is created on the other side of the gap? That's probably not a good idea to teleport people using this principle. :whistling:

9. Geko45

More precisely, he is saying the question would have no meaning as the answer would be unknowable. They are all alike. If you're an economist then electrons are a fungible asset.

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

I'm saying that it's not a meaningful question. All electrons are identical. Who's to say whether the "same" electron came out, if you can't tell two electrons apart?

11. devildog2067

devildog2067

Geko beat me to it. That's exactly right. Money is a good example, in fact.

If I give you a dollar bill, then ask for a dollar bill back, we can talk about whether I've gotten the "same" money.

But if I send you a wire transfer for $100, and you send me back a wire transfer for $100... is it the "same" money? The question has no real meaning.

12. Geko45

Which, ironically, also involves sending electrons to another location.

13. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Actually, no. Even when two places are connected with a piece of electrical wire, electrons are not sent from one location to another. They are moving way too slow (fraction of an inch per hour) unless a particle accelerator gives them a kick. It is the electromagnetic wave that propagates near the speed of light.

On the other hand, I think Bank of America wire transfers are sent using the actual electrons. :rofl:

14. jbutenhoff

jbutenhoff

I find the more interesting part the entangled pairs over distance. Perhaps in a decade or so we won't have to wait 14 minutes to see our rover on Mars, rather it will be a real time instant link. That would open up all sorts of possibilities.

Of course the first place it would be used is the stock market. The worlds fastest fiber lines are being replaced to shave off a miliseconds. There is a $300,000,000 project to cut down the speed of trading by 0.005 seconds... (http://www.businessweek.com/article...ed-trading-my-laser-is-faster-than-your-laser )

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Prove he's not.

16. ray9898

ray9898

Seems like that is backwards.

17. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

I need a beer. Someone wanna teleport me one? I don't give a rat's ass where the fermentations come from.

18. Altaris

Altaris

Yeah they would. I used to sell server/storage/networking to the large financial firms and wall street groups. They were pretty much printing money to buy newer/better/faster data center gear. Price was basically a non-issue with them, as long as it was super fast. They would love the instant transmission of the entangled pairs over a distance.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  19. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Because.....TA.....DAH....Time is money and money rules.