Chinese Broccoli - the best vegetable?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by fnfalman, Jan 26, 2005.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I am a meat kind of guy but I do realize the importance of eating vegetables albeit I'm not too crazy about the tastes of most veggies...except for the Chinese Broccoli, that is. Also known as gai-lan (phonetically speaking) in Cantonese, you can cook this thing in a multitude of ways: steamed, broiled, sauteed, dipped in peanut oil, etc.

It tastes quite good with a wonderful texture. And supposedly it has a lot of good "green" stuff that makes vegetables good for your body. Hey, I'm an engineer, not a biologist or a dietician. But I do know that it has lots of fiber because it really helps "clean" you out in a very good way.;J

And it doesn't look or even taste like Broccoli.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

I read about the benefits of eating one vegetarian dinner a week, and by far my favorite is stir-frying gai lan with oyster sauce over sesame oil, then pushing it to one side of the pan to cook slabs of tofu. It is definitely one of my favorite veggies too.

Mmmm... hungry ^7

3. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

P.S. Why do the Asian markets sell vegetables so much cheaper than say, Albertson's and Ralphs? I don't imagine that Gai Lan or Bok Choi is harder to grow than broccoli and lettuce. Marketing?

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

They are smart. They make profits in selling massive quantities.

5. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

The Eyetalians call it Broccoli Rabe...

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/BroccoliRaab.htm

Broccoli Raab [rob] or Rapini [rah-PEE-nee] – Commonly known in the United States as broccoli raab (also spelled broccoli rabe). It is truly a vegetable with many names around the world. A few of the many names are raab, rapa, rapine, rappi, rappone, fall and spring raab, turnip broccoli, taitcat, Italian or Chinese broccoli, broccoli rape, broccoli de rabe, Italian turnip, and turnip broccoli.

Originating in the Mediterranean and also China, it is actually a descendant from a wild herb. Today, Rapini is found growing in California, Arizona, New Jersey, Quebec and Ontario. It is one of the most popular vegetables among the Chinese. It is probably the most popular vegetable in Hong Kong and also widely used in the western world.

Although it has broccoli's name, broccoli raab is not related to broccoli. It is, however, closely related to turnips which is probably why the leaves look like turnip greens. Lots of broccoli-like buds appear here and there but a head never forms. It is grown as much for its long-standing, tasty mustard-like tops as for their multiple small florets with clusters of broccoli-like buds. Good-quality broccoli raab will have bright-green leaves that are crisp, upright, and not wilted. Avoid ones with leaves that are wilted, yellowing, or have dark green patches of slime.

;c

6. nathanenge

nathanenge

chinese brocolli (gai-lan) makes my gas really really stinky. Something about leafy greens.

7. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Thank you Nathan Rosannadanna!

;c