close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chicken + beer in Crock Pot- What else?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tbhracing, Feb 8, 2010.

1. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Today I am putting a whole chicken in the Crock Pot along with some beer. Any other suggestions to add?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. pack-indy

pack-indy Emissary

Hoppe's 9 for the aroma

3. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Apples and onions...maybe some oregano or something...doesn't sound to appealing to me though.

Greg

4. RustyShackelford

RustyShackelford > OD Glock 32

Ton of minced garlic, salt/pepper, and can of "Hot" Rotelle. What kind of beer are you using?

5. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

The juice of two lemons and all of the zest as well as a good dose of salt, pepper (inside and out of the bird) and 8 garlic cloves (cloves cut into eighths and placed in the cavity along with the lemon husks).

6. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

Add some rosemary as well.

7. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Starting with high heat is important as the slow mode of a crock pot could induce serious bacteria growth.

Put a few strips of bacon and oil and brown, remove and chop the bacon, then add chopped onions, garlic, celery, ginger, carrots and parsley in the bottom of the crock pot set on high heat sweating them until tender, then add the bacon, salt and beer heating the stock to a slow boil.

I strongly recommend cutting the chicken up, splitting the breasts, for more even cooking to reduce the possibility of cold/raw spots. Searing and browning the chicken fast, for flavor, before you add it to the veggies and the beer, cook for about an hour on high heat then turn it down to slow/low. Good recipes are on the food network.com and other web sites focusing on crock pot slow cooking techniques.

Bon Appetit! :supergrin:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  8. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

Guard it well.

[​IMG]

9. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Thanks for the ideas. I actually bought Bud Lime beer just because I thought it might be a little better than average beer.

I will cut the chicken up, good idea. I have some garlic to chop up and will add the salt, pepper and other suggested spices.

Thanks! :wavey:

10. Steve0853

Steve0853

What a coincidence!

This morning before I left for work, I put 15 thighs in the crock pot in layers with BBQ sauce and a little salt on each one. Low heat all day. Should be some GOOOOOOOOD supper.

11. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

chicken with beer? You will have to let us know how it is. Dosnt sound very tasty but thats just me.

12. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Sure will. I got the idea from "Beer Can Chicken".

13. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

I've found that everything in the crock pot tastes better if you brown it first.

14. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

I know when cooking turkey in beer, the general rule of thumb is "the darker, the better." I've used Guinness every time, as a result, and since both my wife and my mom officially handed over turkey cooking duties to me after trying it, it must work pretty well. ;)

Not sure if a Bud Lime's going to give nearly the same flavor, but then I've been oven-cooking (not crockpot), so maybe the desired end result is totally different anyhow.

15. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

C- That was recommended to me last night. I will do that next time. Thanks!

As for browning the chicken first, I just read that and will try it next time. This is just an experimental run right now.

Pictures to boot-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come... :)

16. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Oh, I didn't realize you were going to stew the chicken in beer. I thought you were going to pour a beer in the crock pot and suspend a chicken over the liquid to roast.

Let me know how your method works out ... seems a little ... wet ... for my tastes.

17. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

I appreciate your willingness to try new things. Personally, I just cant stand the taste of anything cooked in beer. It was done to death in the last 10 or 15 years, and I can smell it on the meat. Its just damn nasty to me. Although, I would be anxious to see how it turns out.

If it were me I would take that chicken, put it in the crockpot with some water, and a healthy dose of powdered chicken stock. Cook until the chicken is done. Take it out and debone it. Then add the chicken back to the stock in the crock pot and add chopped celery, carrots, and whatever else floats your chicken boat. Then add some noodles and cook until noodles and veggies are tender. Good stuff man, good stuff.

18. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

I like that idea too. I am thinking that the beer is going to evaporate pretty quickly. So far it is. We will see....

19. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

As long as you keep the lid on, you should have little evaporation.

20. 84S

84S

If was cooking a whole chicken in a crock pot, I would brown it first in a pan. I would then add, onions, celery, and carrots with fresh thyme and a bay leaf. Salt and pepper and the beer if you like. I would probably finish it with sherry vinegar or lemon, something acid.