Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of observations of mine:
1) The morale of the Chicago PD is very low, due to the actions of the mayor and police chief. Go to secondcitycop.com and read some of the posts. The apparent feeling is that the CPD should only do their job and answer calls. No proactive actions. The chief and the dept. will not back the troops.
2) None of these killings occured at school. In fact, many of them occured late at night or early in the morning. Many of the victims were involved in gangs. Their postings on Myspace showed them flashing signs, or guns.
3) What exactly is THE ONE supposed to do, to solve this? More midnight basketball?
4) Anything Michael Pfleger is for, is probably bad for our country. He is of the same thinking as THE ONEs church pastor.

Chicago Student Killings Spark Appeals to Obama
By DOUGLAS BELKIN
CHICAGO -- Community activists here are calling on President Barack Obama to address inner-city violence after a sharp increase in the number of killings of school-age children.

Total homicides in Chicago are down but with three weeks before the summer vacation, the city has tallied 37 killings of public-school children since fall, compared with 21 homicides during the 2007-08 school year. By contrast, 23 students have been killed this school year in Los Angeles, which enrolls nearly twice as many children in public schools.

Most of the Chicago victims were black and Latino students who lived on the city's south and west sides. None were killed in school.

Mark Allen, who helped teach Mr. Obama how to organize communities 20 years ago, is joining other activists in calling on the president to show the same passion he brought to the issue as a young man.

"He's not the same Barack," said Mr. Allen, a 47-year-old community activist. "He's not doing what he said he would do when we were walking the streets together and talking about what we would do if we were in charge."

About two-thirds of the city's homicides this year have been drug- or gang-related, according to police. But students are getting caught in the crossfire, along with cases of mistaken identity.

Many of the community activists who worked alongside Mr. Obama in years past are calling for stricter gun control, more money for gang intervention and summer jobs programs, as well as a presidential summit.

"When the swine flu came up, it was a national priority and every governor, every mayor, every school board was talking about it in 24 hours," said Rev. Michael Pfleger of St. Sabina Roman Catholic Church on Chicago's South Side. "People are dying and he needs to use his bully pulpit to get this moving."

Mr. Obama's senior adviser Valerie Jarrett says the president is trying to jump-start the economy with his stimulus plan, "which will do more to combat the crime problem then just about anything else." The stimulus money contains "an unprecedented level of support" for law enforcement as well as a broad array of programs aimed at keeping children safe, she said.

"But the people have to take ownership too and be willing to report crimes, and when they see them, to testify," Ms. Jarrett said. "This is a partnership."

Frustration with the growing number of young homicides has prompted some people in Chicago to protest by displaying the U.S. flag upside down, a symbol of distress.

The campaign began with Spencer Leak Sr., 72 years old, who owns a South Side funeral home that has buried 10 children in recent months. A U.S. Army veteran and former executive director of the Cook County Department of Corrections, Mr. Leak first proffered the flag idea during his weekly commentary on a gospel radio show.

"With the metal detectors and police guards, the lobbies in the school look like the lobbies in the jails," Mr. Leak said, "I want to fly the flag to show the country we're in distress. We need help."

Rev. Pfleger then raised the idea with his congregation.

Last week, the congregation sold T-shirts imprinted with the image of an inverted flag and the words, "Gun Violence: An American Emergency!" Rev. Pfleger is now urging his congregation to wear American flag lapel pins upside down.

The not-for-profit Black Star Project, which tutors inner-city students, distributed posters displaying inverted flags with the names of the Chicago school children killed this year beneath them.

Phillip Jackson, Black Star's executive director, has been circulating a map of the locations of where the children have died in relation to Mr. Obama's Hyde Park home. Most of the homicides occurred within an eight-mile radius, Mr. Jackson said. His point is to draw attention to the crisis and highlight Mr. Obama's responsibility to address it.

Reaction to the map has been mixed. "People are protective of [Mr. Obama] in the black community," Mr. Jackson said. "They don't want to embarrass him."

The split tends to cleave along class lines, said Mr. Allen, who worked with Mr. Obama in a South Side neighborhood shortly after Mr. Obama moved to Chicago in 1985. Middle-class blacks in safer neighborhoods are more likely to counsel patience, he said.

"But we don't have any more patience," Mr. Allen said. "This is an emergency."

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since Chicago has banned handguns for the last quarter century, how have all of these murders taken place? I guess they used clubs and spears.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Reaction to the map has been mixed. "People are protective of [Mr. Obama] in the black community," Mr. Jackson said. "They don't want to embarrass him."
He's doing just fine on his own.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
When will people ever learn?

I grew up in a lousy gang infested part of Phoenix and realized that I wanted the hell out. No one gave it to me and no one is going to give it to them.

G-d helps those who help themselves.

·
Chaplain of CT
7,470 Posts
Let them kill each other off...
Seriously? Liberal politics aside, don't you have any interest in trying to prevent homicides and gang recruitment?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Seriously? Liberal politics aside, don't you have any interest in trying to prevent homicides and gang recruitment?
Nope because you can't change human nature. As long as there has been man there have been gangs and murders. Why should it stop now?

·
Chaplain of CT
7,470 Posts
It will never stop completely, but "let them kill each other" isn't an appropriate or ethical human response. It is a dehumanizing response. To murder is to go against human nature. It is depraved.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
It will never stop completely, but "let them kill each other" isn't an appropriate or ethical human response.
I usually agree with your postings and, I don't want to be argumentative, plus, I'm sure, from reading your reponses, you are a considerably kinder person than I am. But, I gotta agree with the let them kill themselves off school of thought. This country has the opportunity for ANYONE to do whatever they want for themselves and, go as far as they want. They choose not to. Most of them are likely third generation welfare recipients that are already draining the life out of this country. They are outbreeding the decent people of this country of all races and walks of life. There are loads of poor people, black, white, hispanic and every other ethnicity you can imagine that are being decent human beings. The people we are talking about choose to be a part of the culture that glorifies drug dealing, raping, robbing and murdering other people. They have chosen to dehumanize themselves and be depraved. Let them. As long as all of the participants want to join in the fray, its thier choice.

Yes, it may be because of poor parenting...single moms..father (if known) in prison...I can't fix that. What I know, is they are very unlikely to change. Better they kill each other off than keep going and killing innocent people that did not chose to be a part of thier culture.

I understand how you feel, but, my sympathy meter for alot of people is pretty much pegged at zero.

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
It's no different when I bartended in an area heavily populated with Native Americans. Night after night I was told how it was my fault their ass was parked on the bar stool, because quote "Your ancestors brought mine that awful firewater to turn us all into alcoholics!"

Never mind mine came here in 1900 and immediately went into farming or the mines, and that the local treaty was signed in 1854. Nope. My ancestors travelled back 46 years to oppress them.

I finally had enough and told one that if he was so concerned with the state of himself, his relatives, and friends, then it was HIS duty to rise above the **** he hated and be the better person.

·
38,473 Posts
Yep, as long as we empower these so-called race pimps aka community organizers or whatever, we will never get away from the white guilt they need to push their agenda. Notice nobody ever said a word about Bill Cosby and his speech about helping yourself and getting yourself out of the ghetto. He made sense, but was decried by all the black race pimps who said he sold out. I don't think so. I think he is telling it like it is.

My family came with nothing. My dad worked any job he could and built his own construction company from ground up and made some good money. I almost ran with gangs because it was easy and we were poor but he talked sense into me and I went the other way. Nobody gave us nothing. We never took government assistance. I never blamed anyone for anything we had or didn't have.

I don't owe them anything and I sure ain't gonna be apologizing because I had a family that cared. That's their problem if they didn't have a stable family but that doesn't justify anything they do. Rise above it, suck it up. Life's not fair, it wasn't meant to be. Grow up.

·
Zippy's Friend.
6,662 Posts
To murder is to go against human nature. It is depraved.
Not really. How long did humans exist before they started killing each other?

No. Not killing each other is a learned response to further societies. I think it is the basic human nature to kill one another. That is why we are so adept at it. You leave people together in large numbers and without rules or education, and they will start killing each other off pretty quick.

·
38,473 Posts
Not really. How long did humans exist before they started killing each other?

No. Not killing each other is a learned response to further societies. I think it is the basic human nature to kill one another. That is why we are so adept at it. You leave people together in large numbers and without rules or education, and they will start killing each other off pretty quick.
Now you get into the theoretical differences between killing and murdering. There are many legitimate reason for killing, not so much for murder.

Killing is justified or legal in relation to:

WAR
SELF-DEFENSE
DEFENSE OF OTHERS
WHEN YOU SEE GANGBANGERS BREATHING
TERRORISTS WHO ARE STILL BREATHING
******** WHO DEFEND GANGBANGERS & TERRORISTS
PARENTS WHO ABUSE/NEGLECT THEIR CHILDREN
SEXUAL PREDATORS
WASTE OF HUMAN SKIN/FLESH (HABITUAL OFFENDERS)
WIFE BEATERS
IF YOU COVET HIS WIFE
ACCIDENTS (DUI IS NOT AN ACCIDENT)

Murder is different. Murder has no justification and cannot be acceptable in any orderly society lest the rule of law means nothing.

·
Chaplain of CT
7,470 Posts
I usually agree with your postings and, I don't want to be argumentative, plus, I'm sure, from reading your reponses, you are a considerably kinder person than I am.
Thanks brother, you think more of me than I do. :rofl:

·
Registered
374 Posts
obxemt you are a kinder person than I am to. Personally what I would like to see happen never will, that would be a shoot on site order for all known gang members.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Just a liberal rag reporting on liberal tards whining about liberal crap.

Too bad the black race pimps (I like that term lawman and am going to start using it) are now considered legit since one of their own got elected POTUS (Pimp of the US).

·
Registered
981 Posts
On the topic of killing being part of human nature:

Does anyone here really think crime can be lowered in urban American cities without massive imprisonment?

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
On the topic of killing being part of human nature:

Does anyone here really think crime can be lowered in urban American cities without massive imprisonment?
Yep. By massive implementation of capital punishment. Short of that, no.

Although I know a certain forum member who has an idea. It involves a 24 hour amnesty, and unlimited ammo for the weapon of your choice. :whistling:

·
Cool Cat
12,111 Posts
Start by making sweeps of the "bad" parts of the city and lock the bastages away who are the causing of the problems.

Lock up drug dealers, pimps, etc for a long, long time. And make the parents pay the price for letting their kids run wild.

Dry up the drug supplies by locking up the perps responsible for importing the stuff for a long time in Federal tent city environments. No TV, weight rooms, simple meals, restricted visitor rights, etc.

Make hard time hard time not a freaking social club!

:steamed: :whistling: :dunno:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts