Chicago politicians conference call during riots, audio

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by BlueBacker, Jun 9, 2020.

1. BlueBacker

BlueBacker Previously BengalBacker

I haven't been able to listen to much of this yet, but apparently they're taking it down off of the internet. I downloaded it too. Sounds pretty intense. Hopefully it stays up here for a while.

https://news.wttw.com/2020/06/05/wh...-community-aldermen-react-panic-sorrow-unrest

As unrest swept the city Sunday, aldermen pleaded with Mayor Lori Lightfoot to help them protect their communities from roving bands of criminals clashing with police and looting businesses.

WTTW News obtained a recording of an online conference call held by the mayor’s office to brief all 50 aldermen on the city’s response to the unrest touched off by the death of George Floyd in the custody of Minneapolis police.

While one alderman wept, others grew angry with the mayor, demanding to know what her strategy was to stop the violence that began in earnest late Saturday.

The call provides a snapshot into the city’s response as of midday on Sunday to the most widespread and damaging unrest since the uprising after the murder of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and the police riots after the Democratic National Convention in 1968.

The recording begins with Ald. Michelle Harris (8th Ward) wondering how she could convince businesses like Walmart and CVS to rebuild on the South Side after the destruction.

“It’s like, what are we going to have left in our community?” Harris asks her colleagues before answering herself. “Nothing.”

The Chicago City Council’s Black Caucus criticized Lightfoot’s decision to use 375 members of the Illinois National Guard to block off the Loop and the central business district starting Sunday morning, making business corridors on the South and West sides an “easy target” for looters and criminals because they “did not have the same level of protection.”

More in the link.

2. Timmy bigtime

Timmy bigtime Previously Timmeh

There will be many mass exodus's coming from liberal cities once everything stabilizes. Most do not want anarchy. Most want to go to store in their neighborhood for groceries. They do not want to drive 35-40 minutes. I have a feeling they will mess with a trucker before too long and other truckers will no longer haul cargo into an area. Real trouble then.

3. CAcop

CAcop

These politicians put themselves in a bad spot.

"Cops shouldn't protect property using violence."

"The business people in the city don't want their life's work up in smoke."

Actions have consequences.

B C and jr24 like this.
  4. "Doc" Cavalry

"Doc" Cavalry MAJ (USA Ret.)

I’m not hearing anything on this call that I would call leadership.

I think every large chain (Walmart, Target, CVS Etc). should rebuild, only after 2021.

B C likes this.
  5. Schrag4

Schrag4

I saw this on another forum and came here to post about it. If you can spare the time, you should listen to the audio. I found it interesting that the mayor says that bringing in the NG only causes more issues when asked by the aldermen why they’re not using them.

As a poster on that other forum states:
    The juxtaposition between their public and private comments is staggering. In public, "it's mostly peaceful protest". In private, "It's a ****ing war zone".

CAcop and BengalBacker like this.
  6. Glock45Lover

Glock45Lover

"Elections have consequences." - Barack Obama

CAcop likes this.
  7. as400guy1

as400guy1

Lopez telling the mayor.."FU, then!"
    Absolutely hilarious.
    She is way over her skis on this.

CAcop, BengalBacker and BobbyS like this.
  8. Pythonman

Pythonman

"Mayor, you need to check your attitude!" LMAO..

CAcop likes this.
  9. Vic Rattlehead

Vic Rattlehead

Everyone, please listen to the audio and share it with everyone you know. Very educational!

BengalBacker likes this.
  10. Dirty bird

Dirty bird

05A9B34A-C0A5-4779-B840-C31BA3FC056C.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020