Chicago Police Sergeant Takes Own Life While On-Duty

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by MAG40 Student, Sep 4, 2018.

1. MAG40 Student

MAG40 Student Silver Member

janice6 and larry_minn like this.
  2. El Pistolero

El Pistolero bene vivere Silver Member

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    May G-d wrap this Officer and all who cared for him in His Everlasting Love.

fla2760, Potrillo, janice6 and 2 others like this.

3. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Prayers for the soul of this officer who succumbed to the darkness that threatens all of us who go forth every day to make the world a safer place for others , and prayers for his family, who are left behind to wonder why, and how this happened.....

Ajon412, UncleDave, fla2760 and 4 others like this.
  4. Bourne911

Bourne911

+1
    [​IMG]

janice6 likes this.
  5. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

[​IMG] Requiescat in pace.

janice6 likes this.
  6. tic-tok-GLOCK

tic-tok-GLOCK

A very sad incident, I know LE is a stressful occupation.

janice6 likes this.
  7. Ftttu

Ftttu

Prayers sent.

janice6 and n2g like this.
  8. Morris

Morris CLM

It is tragic and it's understandable, unfortunately. I'll explain.

We are in a business in which we are expected to be strong and prevail throughout all things, on and off duty, even when exposed to the worst of humanity and the worst anything anyone can say about us or our families. We are told to be human, yet told not to feel emotions and be emotionless when we do the work we do. We have shops/agencies where the command staff treat rank and file like crap, espouse those magic words about "getting help" and then we we seek help, get sent to a corner by the same command staff and worse, shunned by peers who see those who did right by getting help as inferior. We work for government and civic leaders who look at us as nothing more than another gardener for their nice house or the source of their own political failures. We do what many cannot or are unwilling to do.

How many who read this can quietly nod in agreement because they know that if they seek help for the problem(s), they will either be pulled off the line or worse, be castigated as weak?

This is a post from Secondcitycop.blogspot.com:

[​IMG] Anonymous said...

SCC, you hit the nail right on the head. Your health and well-being are far more important than anything this job can give you.

With that being said- there is at least 1 CPD who needed help, reached out, and got stripped because of it. Obviously he/she was in a position and needed help, and it’s commendable recognizing that and reaching out to get it. But now imagine dealing with whatever issues were already on the table, and now facing the financial hardship of being stripped, the stigma from your peers, and all the additional problems. I know a lot of cops are nervous or afraid to ask for help, but it should definitely be a situation where they should never feel afraid to ask for the help they need. Something needs to be done about that, the potential cost is too great to make people afraid to reach out.

9/04/2018 12:09:00 AM

This is a fear many have in this business. I've personally witnessed guys seek help only to get shunted out of a career they love because management and peers destroyed them for seeking help. Often, we are our own worst enemies to those who seek help.

9. 1L26

1L26

You may all go to Hell and I will go to TEXAS!
    Prayers sent for the officer and his family! My God rest his soul!

janice6 likes this.
  10. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

11. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Lord knows that I am the last to defend the admin pukes or make excuses for their decisions, but in all seriousness what should they do instead when somebody comes forward and says they can't handle **** any more and are thinking about ending it all except to pull them off the line, place them on restricted duty, and remove all their department owned firearms? Yes, its stigmatizing and all, but what else can you do?

And if they don't get better or can't get better without doses of psychoactive medications that may impact their ability to perform their job, what can the admin do but put them out? Hopefully it's on a medical pension, but I realize that's not an option everywhere and in those cases, yeah, it sucks to be forced out, but liability to the public at large is what it is.

My personal solution would be a generous mental health retirement benefit that most of us would probably qualify for after a full career, if we're completely honest. But the taxpayers, by and large, aren't going to actually put their money where their mouths are.

I know I sound pretty calloused and, frankly, I am. I am 100% certain that if I was required to sit for a psych eval, after 21 years of service and over 15 years in the "dead baby unit," that I would be diagnosed with God only knows what strain of PTSD. I am dark. I am cynical. I am blunt in my manner and my speech and, consequently, am unfit to be around most normal people most of the time. Hell, I'm unfit to be around most cops. I can't tell you the number of times I've realized half a second too late that my sense of humor has freaked out a veteran street cop.

But you know what? It's on me to deal with it. It's on me to recognize it and to find ways to shield my loved ones from it. Ultimately, it's on me to suck it up and carry on.

So I don't drink more than two beers at a sitting. I don't run around on my wife. I do try to run or walk every single day. I take days off. I work really hard at keeping my family shielded from my job and the worst aspects of my personality. And when it finally gets too much for me, I'm going to walk away.

This comment has turned into a bit of a rant and looking back over it, I'm pretty sure a few folks will be pissed. I'm supposed to be emoting over this poor guy who offed himself, but I don't feel it. I didn't know him and, frankly, screw him for doing it like he did and putting the memory of it on his coworkers. None of us, none, have the market cornered on bearing witness to human misery. If you can't deal with it, then walk away and do something else. Don't lay some lifetime of survivor's guilt on your squadmates, your family, and the law enforcement community at large by proxy (which is what this thread is) by killing yourself.

JDD7, fla2760 and Dragoon44 like this.
  12. texmex

texmex

I pray that he finds the peace in rest that he could not find in life. Thoughts and prayers for the ones he leaves behind.

13. Current Resident

Current Resident

I cannot find the words, RIP Officer

14. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Police work is not for the faint of heart or the sensitive.

JDD7 and fla2760 like this.
  15. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

Prayers for the Sgt and his family.

fla2760 likes this.
  16. ironhead7544

ironhead7544