close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chicago firearm registration?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by musclegto, Dec 4, 2012.

1. musclegto

musclegto

Questions for anyone in the city limits. Do you have to register a handgun/shotgun with the city police? or am I fine with my foid? Reading online did not help much as I got different answers. Seems like confusion is part of the game in trying to keep the city unarmed.

2. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

4. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Wow, I thought it was bad here in CA.

5. raven11

raven11

To put it in perspective, that is only Chicago , the rest of Illinois has ok gun laws

Now excuse me while I take my AR-15 with a 30rnd detachable magazine , pistol grip, and magazine release button to the range :whistling:

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Tell me what the range is like in a few weeks when you're butt deep in snow :rofl:

There's more to life than an AR15.

7. raven11

raven11

:crying:

8. Scott3670

Scott3670

So lemme see if I have this right. In order to own a gun in Chicago I have to get both a Firearm Owners' ID card AND a Chicago Firearm Permit? No thanks... I'll think I'll stay right where I am, thank you. Nothing personal.

9. WarCry

WarCry

I don't have all the specifics, but in the city of Chicago, to even have a handgun in your home, you have to have a state FOID (which I'm okay with, BTW, but that's a different discussion), then you have to have a Chicago permit, you have to take a safety and training course (which, at this point, you have to leave the city for because ranges aren't allowed in the city limits pending the outcome of litigation) then you have to pay to register the handgun with the city, and renew (and pay) for that registration every year.

But, yes, as was stated, that's Chicago-specific. Outside of carry-laws (we're working on that), IL gun laws are actually pretty damn nice. No registrations, no "purchase permits" or anything like that. The waiting periods can be annoying, but it's only three days (and not really even that....if I buy a rifle tonight at 5pm, I have a 1-day wait, but I can pick it up tomorrow at 8am because it's a different day). Overall, things could be far, FAR worse.

As long as you stay out of Chicago.

10. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

MmmHmmmm, you mean the only state in the USA that refuses to issue Concealed Carry Permits? That Illinois? :dunno:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  11. casualoffender

casualoffender JAFO

That must be the safest city in America :upeyes:

12. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. BlownFiveLiter

BlownFiveLiter

I'm not OK with the FOID, but I have no choice. I'm of the opinion that I should not have to pay for my constitutional rights, they are guaranteed to me. That goes for the Chicago registration and permit, as well.

14. musclegto

musclegto

Well thats some bull**** isn't it. I feel like not registering the gun in the city and saying fudge it. But it will probably come back to bite me in the ass.

15. musclegto

musclegto

I need to get out of this state.

16. WarCry

WarCry

There are numerous constitutional rights you have to pay for.

In most places, if you want to have a gathering - say, having a band playing in a park and invite people to come watch - you have to pay for permits. That's 1st Amendment stuff, right?

What you're paying for with the FOID card is the system to maintain background check information. While the system is flawed, it's DESIGNED to keep people from getting firearms that shouldn't have them - like a mental health history. You pay $1 a year and carry the card saying the state has cleared you rather than paying a service charge to run your background every time you go in to make a purchase.

The money is for the background check. Pay in advance with the FOID or they'll charge you on a per-purchase basis. Which do you prefer?

Unless you're advocating that taxpayers should be footing the bill so you don't have to pay more when you want to buy something? Looking to spread that expense out to everyone?

17. TK-421

TK-421

I don't know about what it's like in Illinois, but I didn't have to pay one extra cent to have my background check. Maybe the store already built the cost into the price of my firearm, maybe the store doesn't get charged. Either way, there was no extra fee to have a background check done when I got my firearm, but there is an extra fee to get a FOID card.

What would I prefer? The government having a record of every single gun owner, and every single gun the person has, or paying a nominal fee to have my background check done every single time, because they don't keep a record and need to recheck everybody every time they buy a firearm? Gee, that's a really hard decision.

The government should not have any record of who owns guns and who doesn't. Because if the government ever decides they want to forcibly take their guns, I don't want them to be able to go house to house going "Here is the proof that you're a registered gun owner, here is the proof of which guns you own, hand them over."

I don't care if the FOID card costs $5 and gives me unlimited free background checks, and a background check is $15, and I have to have 1,000 background checks done a year, I'll pay the $15 each and every time.

18. raven11

raven11

yes because California's open carry with no rounds in the handgun is soo much better :upeyes:

19. musclegto

musclegto

That is what bothers me, I don't want the government much less the city know what firearms I own. I just feel like it's none of their dam business.