close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chicago Electric Power Tools

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rdbjr57, Jan 11, 2010.

1. rdbjr57

rdbjr57

I'm looking at a flyer from Harbor Freight (we have one fairly close to where I work.)

They have a 3000 lb remote controlled portable winch made by Chicago Electric Power Tools. I know this is not professional everyday-use stuff. But has anyone on here ever ordered one of these Chicago winches?

I'm interested in your opinion of it for occasional use.

The winch is on sale for $49.99

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Based on the rest of the Chicago electric lineup, I'd steer clear.

Cheaper to buy the good one the first time around, vs. buying the cheapy, burning it up, and having to buy the good one anyway.

3. 540mope

540mope

that company could not have picked a more revealing name. expect nothing but low quality chinese crap on their shelves

4. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

I have the 3000lb with wired control for two years. I've used it to pull barbed wire, and load logs onto trailers. Never a problem. The only down side is the mounting holes are not standard and I had to drill the holes in a mounting bracket for my ATV. I also don't have any experience with similar sized winches to compare to either.

I recently purchased their 5500lb winch to haul some 16 ft logs up a steep slope.

5. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Oops I forgot. Keep in mind you are buying cheap knock offs and if it doesn't last long don't get upset. I don't buy harbor freight expecting a lifetime of service. My winch did what I bought it for and anything after that is gravy. The 5500lb winch is going to save me several thousand dollars in lumber so if it survives the day I'll be ahead of the game.

6. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I would certainly use it to load something on a trailer or pull something along the ground... but no way would I trust a cheap winch to suspend something in the air or lift anything expensive or fragile.

7. goatranch

goatranch

I bought a manual 55 gallon drum pump. Didn't last 2 days.

Bought a liquid pump for your drill motor. Did not last 1 hour. You can only go so cheap.

8. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

+1 to that. I bought one of the Harbor Freight $20 sawzall knock off to cut up a sectional sofa prior to carrying the pieces up out of the basement. It looked like a sawzall, problem was the motor could barely move the blade. It stalled as soon as I touched the blade to wood.

I pitched the sawz-none and bought a Milwaukee, now that is a sawzall! What a brute, it feels like I could cut a house in half with it.

9. volky

volky NRA Member Millennium Member

Harbor Freight=single use, disposable

10. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Harbor Freight tools are hit and miss. Many of them are junk, but those that work are great for the money.

11. RDW

RDW BTDT

Imho - total garbage!

12. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I just bought the 4.5 grinder that was in Sundays ad. Very powerful and works as advertised.

Their battery powered tools are only good as a door stop, but the electric the sander I bought has lasted two years of light use. Same as the Rotary tool, works great.

Hand tools have all been great (From them I've bought, a multi-meter, mini scale, calipers, flashlights, pliers, screwdrivers, hammers, drill bits, wrenches, Allen wrenches, pry bars, bolt cutters and clamps), plus they have a lifetime warranty on hand tools. They exchanged my bolt cutters right across for another pair, no questions.

Buyer beware, but over I've been happy.

13. HarlDane

HarlDane

I have a $17 Chicago Electric 4 1/2" angle grinder that has more than paid for itself. It wouldn't hold up to daily use, it shakes your arm numb and the ball bearings make a horrible racket, but for the occasional times I need to cut or grind some metal it's great. In my experience the Harbor Freight tools are as good as the entry level brands you would find at a big box store and cost less. But if you plan on using it with any regularity or want it to last, buy something else.

14. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I had a sheet rock job to due and bought that 1/2" drill just to use to mix up the s/r mud up. Went through 3 before the small job was over. Go to Sears.

15. RenoF250

RenoF250

It really depends. Some of the stuff is trash some is a good deal for the money. I don't buy much of the electric stuff though. I have the 4 1/2" grinder, cutoff saw, tile saw, and Fien ripoff. All work well for what they cost but you cannot get crazy with them or they will burn up. The grinder is about worn out. I don't know if they do this on purpose but the stuff made out of the bright orange plastic is almost all junk.

If I can get a American made tool I will but for many things MIC is it and if I am going to get MIC quality I will pay MIC price.

16. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Harbor Freight makes a good anvil and a good hammer, just don't use them on eachother. HH