close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chevy TrailBlazer?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock19Fan, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

I found a 2004 TrailBlazer locally for a great price, great shape, and nothing seems to be wrong with it. 100K miles on it.

But I just wanted to get a general opinion on the vehicle here before buying it. I am thinking daily driver since my other vehicle is terrible on gas.

EDIT Post 1234

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Terrible on gas.

Electronics are a nightmare

shoddy interior quality

They eat tires.

I'd pass.

3. strack350

strack350

If the body/mechanical aspects are OK, then I think you would be good to go. I assume it's a 4.3 V6, or did they put the 3.5 I5 in those? The 4.3 is fairly bullet proof, and should be trouble free as long as maintenance is kept up on, as for the mileage, it's an SUV, you can't expect 25mpg. As far as normal wear items, tires, brakes, etc.... it should last just as long as any other midsize SUV/truck, think Colorado, 4 runner, pathfinder, etc.... And as far as electronics go, Chevy has had it's share of electrical problems, but at 100k if nothing has broken yet, chances are you should be OK. I say get it, it gives you room to haul things, and haul them in covered space. You can also tow, and if it's 4x4 it should take you anywhere you need to go.

4. amorican88

amorican88

My wife had a 2006 Trailblazer - Royal POS!
    Just my .02 though.

5. OUSooner

OUSooner

6. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

It's a 4.2 INLINE 6 cyl... Not a v block. Extra torque, less efficient, bad mileage, and google Trailblazer Fan Clutch for the $800 repair you will be making soon after buying that vehicle. They also eat water pumps and radiators...but you have to pull the rad to change the fan clutch anyway so if you can get them all to break at the same time you can save some labor.

Some people like them, I'm not a fan. Better vehicle would be an Equinox if you want a Chevy mid SUV.

7. Paul_J

Paul_J

If it's a LS2 SS go for it!

8. Restless28

Restless28

I have owned a 2004 since 2006. I have driven it to Maryland and back and drive it every day. It had had the infamous cam sensor issue and the timing is still off. It gets around 15MPG in daily city driving. Mine is an LT with cloth interior.

Since its my work truck that I depend on, I'll be gentle...

It's too damn narrow inside for adults despite its size outside. The seatbelts suck. I hate the placement, but I have grown used to it. My 4WD Tahoe with a 5.3 gets the same MPG, but is roomier and more powerful, and, despite the Tahoe having over twice the miles on it, it runs twice as good.

I will say that it's easy to get in and out of, and it beats the 305 Caprice that I previously had.

There is no way in hell that I would own one for a personal vehicle. I can do much better and so can you.

9. sglock45

sglock45

my wife drives one everyday only issues I've had so far is a bad gas cap and normal wear items oil changes and tires runs like a top

Sent from my DROID X2

10. sglock45

sglock45

oh it'd an 03 also

Sent from my DROID X2

11. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

2004 was the worst year for electronics problems with GM. It's got a 4L60E transmission, which had it's fair share of problems at that time period. Search for "sun shell" and you'll get an idea. Fan clutches were already mentioned. If it's AWD, the transfer case viscous clutch is nearing the end of it's useful life.

The number one issue, for me anyways, is the cylinder heads on those inline engines. The valve sealts get beat up and show up as a random misfire when cold. A proper repair is to replace, not rebuild, the cylinder head. There is also a shortcut method in dealing with the timing chain, but the proper method is very time consuming. The front differential has the come out, to get the oil pan off, to get the front cover off, to get the timing chain tensioner off, to get the cylinder head off. You're looking at 26.4 hours of labor.:faint:

12. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

800? no way. More like half that. And no, you dont HAVE to pull the radiator. You can pull the radiator, but you dont have to take it out.

Lot of poor info on the Trailblazers on here. I have worked on them since that body style came out and we sell many of them at my dealership. I owned one for three years. Mine did not eat tires, nor do any of the ones we have sold. The plastics on the console and seat surrounds are junk, no doubt, so are other manufacturers. The 4200 does not get the greatest gas mileage but i was able to get 20-21 on the highway with mine.

Good luck OP, and if the price is right get it. This mechanic and service manager will disagree with the people here calling them junk.

13. Restless28

Restless28

If the OP could find a Tahoe or Yukon for the same price, in similar condition, which would you recommend?

14. ilgunguygt

I would rather have the tahoe or yukon and would recommend such. The 5.3l is a great engine package in those and gets decent mileage itself.

15. Restless28

Restless28

I love mine. Love it. I also think its a better Tahoe than the 2007 and up ones. Mine has chrome bumpers and no plastic on the lift gate.

16. ilgunguygt

Im a big fan of them too. I like all of the chevy lineup of trucks and suvs a little more in the slightly older body style. I picked up a very lightly used 2004 chevy 1500 4x4 from my dealership about two months back. Sharp looking truck, no doubt, and I love it.

Like I said though, the trailblazer is a more than decent vehicle, I would prefer a full size though, myself too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  17. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

I bought a brand new one in 2006 and I loved it but i had a few problems with it even though I never beat on it. Biggest problem was that I lost my transmission at about 10K miles. Running board seperated from its frame just from normal use. Motor chirped from day one and the dealer said it was a pulley out of alignment. Luckily it all happened while under warranty. Those are the things off the top of my head but there were other problems as well. The 4.2L got me about 16mpg and was great in the snow but I got rid of it in 2009 because I couldn't deal with spending time at the dealership so many times with a relatively new vehicle. Traded it in on a new Silverado which I still have.

18. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

This.

I miss mine.

[​IMG]

19. pspez

pspez

I have an 2002 with 113,000 mi and it has been a dream. I have had very little problems with mine. Love it

20. TransAm-98

TransAm-98

I have a 2002 I use for a daily driver. 140,000 and I haven't had any major problems with it. Only real issue was a broken rear axle, but I'm pretty hard on it and I like to have fun with it off road. Axle was a cheap fix anyways. Aside from that nothing has broken yet. I swapped the front axles out for preventative maintenance when I did the lift and that was it. It doesn't eat tires, it's GREAT in the snow with good tires, and it does amazing in tight parking lots. I think it has a tighter turning radius than most cars I've owned. Gas mileage isn't great, but isn't horrible either. If you get a good deal I say go for it.

Here's mine.

[​IMG]