Chevy/GMC Suburbans and Tahoes.....who has them?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I'm looking to dump my 1997 Cadillac for one of these. The Cadillac is just too damn unreliable, and it's hella expensive to maintain.

I have zero use for such a large SUV, but I've always loved them. I grew up around them in Scouts when I was younger. I was thinking that if I get one, I'd hire myself out as a rideshare, or hire myself out to pull something for someone, or truck skiers who don't have 4WD up to the mountains for a sum. I love driving, and it would pay for gas and any basic maintenance.

So who here has these, and what should I look out for? Right now, I'm looking on Craigslist in the $5,000 and lower range. There are some nice K1500s and even a 2005 Denali Yukon XL as well. Is there anything I should be aware of with these cars, or are they pretty reliable past 200,000 miles? Is there any years I should avoid? I don't really have a preference as to the year, however, I wouldn't mind one with leather seats.

Thanks!

Dr. Bill and powernoodle like this.
  2. powernoodle

powernoodle

My 2009 Suburban 5.3 4x4 is doing very well at 215,000 miles. I paid about $30K for it in 2010, with 30,000 miles on the odometer. But prices on low mileage used ones have really gone up since then.

At 180,000 miles, mine started to burn oil at the rate of 1 quart per 1,500 miles, but that's not the end of the world. I set the trip odometer and put a quart in at that interval. Otherwise, a highly reliable vehicle. Just had a new ignition switch installed, and previously a rear main seal, tranny cooler hose and an idle air control valve (free). I do like the vehicle and would get another used one with 30K miles on it, but they are too dang expensive. So I am driving this one until it turns into powder. Rides and drives great, with tons of room for people and stuff. Good view of the road, especially several cars ahead of you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019

3. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Yeah, the oil is a problem with my Caddy too, but it also has a lot to do with the poor gaskets on the oil pan, which can be fixed but it involves removing the entire engine out of the bottom of the car. Not worth it. I just spent $106 on an oil change....if a quart of oil in a Tahoe or Suburban is the most I have to do, then I'd say I'm doing okay.

Thanks for the input!

Dr. Bill likes this.
  4. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

We were a Suburban family for many years. Never an issue.

glock1097, Dr. Bill and Jade Falcon like this.
  5. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Owned a ‘99 Tahoe for 7 years...bought it with 30k miles, had engine rebuilt at 149k and finally sold it with 159k as it had become a money pit. Big vehicle, excellent in 4WD, but for my money, all these years later, I’d never switch from a 4Runner.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  6. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

GM...oil leaks, electrical and fuel system problems..

7. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Yeah, a 4Runner is also another one I'm looking at. But damn they are spendy!

8. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

They aren’t cheap that’s for sure, but Toyota’s just run and run. Don’t get me wrong, I want to support the US manufacturers but they just can’t compete anymore when it comes to engines. For as much as Ford/GMC/Dodge SUVs cost these days, they just don’t seem to hold up like they should.

Benchrst and Jade Falcon like this.
  9. 87'vette

87'vette

Iv'e had a '90, '99 and an '07. All super reliable. Keep it lubed, and do routine maintenance and it will give you 300k plus miles. I don't have one currently (kids are older and don't want to do jack with us), but I've been thinking about getting another as well. Currently just cruise in my '95 K2500 regular cab long bed diesel 4x4. :flag:

10. 87'vette

87'vette

Look around and be patient. You should be able to find a nice '00 to '06 Subu for your price range... 4x4 of course.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  11. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Looking at a 2005 GMC Yukon XL Denali right now. 188K miles on it, $4,495. Looks very clean. Damn that's a nice rig for that price!

Dr. Bill and 87'vette like this.
  12. 87'vette

87'vette

Decent price. You may be able to do better than that (price wise). Good luck!

Jade Falcon likes this.
  13. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

We have a 2001 Yukon with 273,000 miles on it. Had 60,000 on it when purchased in 2005. Been a very good car for us. Seems like we're always filling it up with groceries, luggage, etc. Has the 327 Vortec engine, which has been reliable.

87'vette and Jade Falcon like this.
  14. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

4runner only gets 18-17 mpg but I do like mine.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  15. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

If your plan is to hire yourself for ride share or towing be sure your insurance covers that.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  16. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I work on many GMs and Chevys.... it's practically all I own with a single Isuzu exception.

GM engines are close to. Bulletproof with correct and timely oil changes. GM fro t ends .... a lot of them .... have front suspension and steering gear are grease gun lubeable.

GM transmissions... same thing.... service them yearly..... DO NOT FLUSH THEM.... and use reputable ATF.

Their computers are pretty much rock solid.
    Many body and trim components are year to year interchangeable.
    GM runs the high-end model wiring in the low-end models, so you can do a surprising amount of customization.
    I think GM puts creature comfort into their seating, lighting and accessories.... mch better than Ford and most foreign SUVs.

I do some engine rebuilds on the 4.2, 4.3, 5.0, 5.7, 6.0 engines... mostly 'way over 300,000. miles usually.

Weaknesses.
    1. DO NOT RUN INTO THE LAST 1/4 OF FUEL. It takes the pump out of the cooling and lubricating quality of the fuel, and ruins a VERY EXPENSIVE fuel pump.
    2. Only use a DROP CENTER radiator cap and change it every two years or so. If you need more info.... ask me about this.
    3. Only use the ORANGE coolant. If the radiator is not full to overflowing when you take off the cap, you have to find out why! Air (oxygen) in the radiator.... creates a bad chemical reaction in forming brown slime in the engine and cooling system.
    4. Use your parking brake ALWAYS. On many drum-type rear brakes, you are then also adjusting the brakes to compensate for wear and can save the master cylinder major grief... and expense.
    5. Use the SAE multi-weight of the oil specified for the engine.

The K-Model (4wd) versions of GM are particularly rugged and hard to destroy (just ask me!)... but you can kill anything if you ignore small problems.

When replacing undercar parts, try to physically upgrade.... eg: urethane instead of black rubber, upgraded shocks (remember that some K-models have dual shocks on each corner)..... TRW and AC DELCO parts are good OER parts.

Make sure the cooling fan clutch works! Test it at warm-idle.... ask me how. It's somewhat dangerous... but not deadly nor digit removing if you follow my instructions. Psst... don't tell OSHA.

GM/CHEVY is always a good choice.... enjoy it.

mj9mm, PhotoFeller, 87'vette and 5 others like this.
  17. Clips N Glock

Clips N Glock

I have an 03 escalade that's fully loaded and I love it. Comes with the 6.0l, which the Yukon Denali comes with as well. She's got 220k on it and it runs great

Both upper ball joints were smoked on it so I just replaced those. Keep an eye on the oil if you decide to get a high mileage one, some burn more than others.

Attached Files:

Jade Falcon likes this.
  18. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

The problems you describe are usually from inferior oils.

I always had engine repairs as your because of Pennsylvania based lube oil. Pennzoil made me rich.

Bad oils if your the owner, and good oils to me if the vehicle is a customer's.....
    Pennzoil,
    Quaker State
    Kendall GT,
    Wolf's Head,
    Royal Triton,
    "House" oils (Kmart, Walmart, Sears, etc)

Just sayin'.... but you can pay me now..... or you can pay me later.

pr

Jade Falcon likes this.
  19. jmohme

jmohme

I don't really care for them but the people that do, love them.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  20. cruz lee

cruz lee

my brother leased a 2012 tahoe fo 4 years. it never had trouble. it was great for his growing family.

Jade Falcon likes this.