close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

chem lights

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by RWBlue, Aug 13, 2012.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I need a few new chemlights. Who has them at a good price?

They have their purposes, but I unless there is a real SHTF, these will probably expire in the bag. (like the last ones)

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Amazon? Quite a choice, and free shipping once you pass $25:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007A6IGDU/ref=biss_dp_sa1"]Cyalume ChemLight Military Grade Chemical Light Sticks: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Rx7h3KzjL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Rx7h3KzjL[/ame]

You could get two 10-packs of 12-hour green sticks for less than $29, delivered.

Looks like you can also get them through Emergency Essentials for about the same price for 20 ($1.25 each and $6 shipping; pretty close), but you don't have to buy 10-packs to get that price (better for mix-n-matching):

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CL S101_A_name_E_Red 6 Inch Lightstick - 12 Hour

I've seen two-packs and singles in the camping departments of some big-box stores and sporting goods chains; you might look around locally. Although they'd almost certainly be more costly, you could check the dates prior to purchase, if that is a concern. The carded blister-pack two-packs were sold under the Coghlans brand (less-expensive camping supplies), but they appear to be Cyalume sticks packaged under the seller's name. Here's a link to those:

http://www.campingsurvival.com/coli.html

No way to check expiration dates on shipped orders, though.

I bought a few packs of the Coghlans Snaplights when the local Sportsman's Warehouse went out-of-business; I think I still paid more than the Amazon price, dangit. The single lightsticks/snaplights I've seen were displayed/sold from a bucket, and I only bought a few of those (and used them immediately, as they were close to expiring). Not sure of the brand on those. All have worked just fine.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

3. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

4. RWBlue

I tend to shop Amazon first, but .... It is sad that Amazon has best pricing and there isn't a S&P store with better pricing. Oh well, if I have to use my Amazon Creditd card and earn point...... :)

BTW, what is the difference between MIL-SPEC and CONSUMER GRADE for chem lights?

5. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Its hard for me to change from old practices but I ditched the chemlights for APALS.

APALS are compact leds that easily run constant for 35hours according to the packaging but youtubers are running them constant for more than 100 hrs of useful light. (3 settings)- on constant /off/ blink

These are basically used for a marking device and will stick to anything but people have been using them like you would a chem light.

check em out. I dig mine! (green)

I got my brite-strike APALS (10 pack) for $33

I have velcro'd a green one to my messenger bag and have already used it several times. I plan to run one non-stop just to see how much useful light i can get out of one.

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

APALs are more for marking/safety than for actually providing useful ambient light output, no? Then again, are chem lights in general very useful for ambient light output?

7. RWBlue

The main reason for Chem lights for me is if I have to drop a light that I don't care about retrieving, having some kind of light if there is an EMP, having a light if there is a gas leak, having a light which is 100% water proof to 120 feet.

For other lights I think I am better off with my other LEDs with replacable batteries?

Where are you planning on using APALs?

8. RWBlue

Red or Green?

9. ric0123

ric0123

i get mine from Amazon. White box, black labels. I buy the white and the red ones. End up being about a buck a shot. I also frequently find them at gun shows or army surplus places for about the same

10. racerford

racerford

Try Walmart, 2 for 1.97 IIRC. In the camping section.