close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chef's Choice sharpener

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Short Cut, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

I've put off buying one of these for a long time. I've been interested in the ease and speed of use of this type of sharpener, but held off for fear of a sharpener that might remove too much metal and heat the knife while sharpening it.

clic pic

[​IMG]

Ad copy:

The newest breakthrough in sharpening technology, the M130, presents all your sharpening options in one compact appliance. It professionally sharpens, steels or strops all brands and types of knives; straight edge or serrated, kitchen, Asian style, sports and pocket knives in seconds. Three stages make it possible to obtain a "better than factory" edge quickly and effortlessly. Stage 1, using 100% diamond abrasives, sharpens the edge. Stage 2 is a super-hardened miniature steel that develops a shaving sharp edge with ultra-sharp microscopic teeth, providing a superior edge "bite". In stage 3, a revolutionary flexible stropping disk polishes the edge to hair-splitting sharpness. Using these stages in different combinations produces custom edges, suited to a particular cutting task. Built-in, high precision, user friendly elastomeric angle guides guarantee fool-proof sharpening.

I'm not about to give up my Spyderco Sharpmaker, because sometimes I like to sharpen by hand and some knive shapes require it. However this sharpener really works well. The first sharpening station, which uses diamond abrasives, will remove a a lot of metal if one isn't careful, however the instructions and a label on the machine clearly instruct that this station is only to be used with dull knives and even then using a pair of draws (two draws on left, two on right).

From there one uses either the steeling station #2 or the stropping station #3. The #2 station give the edge a little more bite while the #3 station gives it a nice polished edge. These two stations remove very little metal at all. For maintaining a sharp knife you would just go back to #2 or #3 as the greater cutting action of #1 is more than is needed for maintenance.

The best thing about this sharpener is that my wife can now maintain her own kitchen cutlery. She's quite a chef and has two full sets of high quality kitchen knives. I've always maintained them for her, which she appreciates, but it's a pretty big job as there must be a good dozen and a half knives to sharpen.

The machine is very easy to use and it delivers on it's promise of making a hairsplitting sharp edge.

The cost was $139 and shipping was free.

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Wow!
    I've used, and love my #120 that I've had for 7-8 years...

[​IMG]

Still works and looks like new...

I'll have to see what this does differently than mine...
    Looks nice tho...

This thing gets my knives as sharp as I need them to be, in 7 seconds...

Good choice!!

;c

3. noway

noway

I bought one and took it back. You have to get a diamond stone if you want a fine edge. A quick shortcut doesn't get you close .

4. Short Cut

Diamond abrasives is exactly what is used in stage #1. At least on the Model 130.

5. dubltap

dubltap

I have the 320 Pro and it uses diamond sharpening. They work exellent.

6. Mild Bill

Any sharper than what I get would be too sharp... Like surgical...
    These use diamond abrasive...

;c

7. KYglockers

KYglockers A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

I am 100% serious, I use a stone and a strop! Learned from my father when I was young and have never thought of anything else. Although I have been trying out a diamond "stick" for lack of a better word, but still turn to the strop after the "stick" The funniest part about this......Im 24 years old!! HAHA I feel like an old man, Dead-Set on his ways!

I LOVE FOOOOOOOOOOD

8. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

i have a modest collection of waterstones, and need.. just.. One More..

and a few dozen useable kitchen knives..

say, 20 stones and 50? knives.. just counting the kitchen types.

And the knives i use determine the stones, and the stones i use determine the knives.

I wouldn't have a mechanical sharpener of any description except a low speed fine grit combo belt/wheel grinder. and that would be for repairs. and i'd love to have one, but it'd lock me into a task ..

home appliance sharpeners are arguably useful, but as far as produce an elegant edge, by my standard, i've never seen it.

I think slicing 1/8 inch strips off a cigarette paper is a fair test of 'sharp enough to quit' and it takes me eh, 4 different stones to get there. the last bit is vanity maybe, hard to justify, but you KNOW ITS BLODDY SHARP. and that's with a convex (clamshell) edge so it's not too thin and prone to chip.

not for the unwarned.

9. Mild Bill

1 minute with my Chef's Choice 120 and my knives can do anything 'with food'
    I need them to...
    They breeze through meat or an onion with little resistance...

Anything else is traditional---therefore cool--- but not at all necessary in 2006...

Every now and then we cooks who take pride in our 'slice and dice' occassionally
    hit a fingernail, fingertip, or knuckle...

Thank God the few times it happened my knives weren't 3 times as sharp...

;c

10. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

I need to look into one of these. I've got a set of Chicago Cutlery that that's 27 years old and needs an edge bad.... The handles need work also...

How close to the handle do these get...? Will you get a full usable blade with a paring knife...?

11. Mild Bill

It does the whole blade---absolutely...

;c

12. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

What's the diff between the 120 and the 130?

I see the 120 advertises outdoor knives and pocket knives. Just what I need. The 130 doesn't mention it but I don't see any difference between the two....

13. mirage100

mirage100

I would like to know that to.

14. Short Cut

The difference IIRC is the middle station. On the 120 it is a lighter level of diamond abrasives than stage 1, on the 130 the second station is a sharpening steel.

Now that we've had this for a little while it's become one of those products that makes me think; we should have got one of these sooner and I don't want to be without one again.

15. mirage100

mirage100

So does anyone know with one is better.

16. Short Cut

Can't help you there as I've only tried the 130. Sounds like they both work great though.

17. mirage100

mirage100

Ok just ordered a Chief Choice 130 from Amazon I hope it workes as well as everyone says it does. I need this thing bad.

18. Mild Bill

I have the model 120 like I said before...

It'll work as good if not better than that I'm sure...

I'm going to Buenos Aires for the next three weeks and I'm bringing 10 of my knives
    (and some gadgets) with me...
    I just bought this cool case to carry them...

http://209.35.185.42/ShopSite/Messermeister_Knife_Case_10_Pocket.html

I ran each knife I'm bringing thru my machine, (middle/light sharpening wheel & honing wheel)
    and in 5-8 minutes they were all sharp enough to shave the hair from the back of my hand...

All the best...

;c
    :)

19. Garweh

Garweh CLM

I am still not convinced that electrical or mechanical sharpeners are appropriate for use on high quality knives. I have two sets of knives: a set of Henckels at home and a set of Shun at the restaurant. I use a stone to sharpen the Henckels and a steel to hone the edge. I use an extra-fine diamond steel to hone the Shun (no need to sharpen, yet).

I can control the amount of metal removed from the knives when I sharpen them with a stone. I doubt that the same degree of control is possible with an electric sharpener. Theoretically, electric sharpeners can also heat the knife and effect the temper of the steel. Sorry, but I will continue to stay with the stone and steel method to sharpen my knives. I feel that electric sharpeners have ONE use: to put an edge on a knife that is so badly neglected/damaged that a stone would be hopeless.