Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we're on the downhill slide, and life seems to be easing up a bit, I'm hoping all of my GSSF friends are staying well and still taking due diligence.

Like the rest of you, I'm looking forward to the day when we can get back to our matches and seeing old and new friends.

Please take good care and 'See Ya Soon'!!!

Pat

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,516 Posts
...I was able to shoot in an indoor GSSF match yesterday to get my fix. Lots of precautions and limits to keep us safe.
So... what precautions and limits were the ROs specifically taking as they are are in everyone's face - and vice versa? We have two already postponed matches at two different ranges that could come up this month, if thought to be prudent. I'm one of two ROs at both and pushed for initial postponement of them early last month. Like Pat, I would sure like to get back at it!

·
Registered
911 Posts
So... what precautions and limits were the ROs specifically taking as they are are in everyone's face - and vice versa? We have two already postponed matches at two different ranges that could come up this month, if thought to be prudent. I'm one of two ROs at both and pushed for initial postponement of them early last month. Like Pat, I would sure like to get back at it!
The range is currently open to the public with precautions and observing a very reduced maximum occupancy.

The range was closed to the public. Social distancing was controlled. Many had previously signed up. Those that had not signed up but there is a very large lobby area. Everyone waited in/at their cars in the parking lot. And we were called in as squads of 6 into the classroom for a quick briefing and then went out on the range. The range has 12 lanes. They used every other lane. Shooting stations were sanitized prior to a new squad coming in.

We shoot from a firing line format. There were 3 ROs controlling it. Competitors would post their target and backout for scoring and there is plenty of room behind the firing line. Had sanitizer was available, etc.

There were over 30 shooters and about 60 entries. It took longer than normal, but went well. I never felt uncomfortable with the situation.

Everybody really appreciated the owners and staff going through the extra effort to accommodate the match.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Like many I am raring to go, but my hesitation on the next match isn't the match itself but the hotel stay it would take. That's where I'd get hammered if I caught anything.

·
Registered
911 Posts
So Professor, you don't have one RO with timer, per shooter?
No, we’ve discussed that before in previous threads.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/glock-indoor-format.1805884/.

I don’t like it because they can’t control those shooting past the par time. But, I’m not in charge of the match. The firing line concept is also very inefficient. Trying to get 12 shooters all ready at the same time. Getting next shooter to fill an open spot etc. Bothers me, but it’s not my match to direct.

·
Arms Dealer
854 Posts
LAX Firing Range in Inglewood, CA just ran a league (February, March, and April).

All three were run with a relay style format where there were two ROs in the bay and 11-12 shooters on the firing line. We all received the same start / stop signals, and really didn't have any issues with someone jumping the start or alibis.

With Match 2 being in March, it was pretty much in the thick of the COVID-19 Pandemic and turnout was dramatically impacted. For this match the number shooters was reduced by half, and there was an empty lane in between competitors.

Match 3 was pretty much like Match 2, but with a larger turnout and face masks. Still a competitor every other lane, and run in the relay type format.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,516 Posts
LAX Firing Range in Inglewood, CA just ran a league (February, March, and April).

All three were run with a relay style format where there were two ROs in the bay and 11-12 shooters on the firing line. We all received the same start / stop signals, and really didn't have any issues with someone jumping the start or alibis.

With Match 2 being in March, it was pretty much in the thick of the COVID-19 Pandemic and turnout was dramatically impacted. For this match the number shooters was reduced by half, and there was an empty lane in between competitors.

Match 3 was pretty much like Match 2, but with a larger turnout and face masks. Still a competitor every other lane, and run in the relay type format.
As I continue to say, if a venue isn't running 1:1 (RO:Shooter), there is no way to follow the rules of the game. Par time is 15 seconds, but if the competitor's last shot is 15.30 seconds or less, there is no penalty. I have 10 shots in 15 seconds down to a science and I would say that perhaps one string in five (so on average once per Division/gun) has my last recorded shot as being taken between 15.01 and 15.30 seconds. It simply is not possible to follow that 15.30 rule without a 1:1 RO.

I feel a shooter like myself would be penalized, or all the other shooters rewarded, with erroneous times, using a firing line scheme.

I looked on YouTube for a video of a GSSF Indoor match for an Intro to Indoor GSSF Competition Zoom that I am doing for my Chapter of The Well Armed Woman - to familiarize them with match procedures for next week's match... and there were NONE following the rules, using 1 RO/shooter. All videos I found were using a firing line of multiple shooters with one RO/timer.

I RO these matches and do find competitors jumping the gun (or timer) about 5% of the time. I find very few shooters coming anywhere near 15 seconds for 10 shots - most empty their gun in 6-7 seconds. I give each shooter their time after they've shot the string, to demonstrate to them the little time that they've taken, and help them to take longer and get their shots.

·
Registered
710 Posts
No way to follow the rules of the game ????
Totally disagree.
This dead horse has been beat like granny’s old rug.
I penalized 3 shooters this past Sunday and had 6 shooters on the line.
Sorry but I do not agree with your logic.
Back to original Post Topic, We are doing great and are back to shooting.
Had a great turnout Sunday with 56 entries. Everyone’s spirits were happy and jovial. So far all of us have been free of Covid 19. All this free time has been put to use in the reloading rooms and we are beyond ready to expend the stockpiles of ammo.
looking forward to Mt Pleasant next Saturday and round 2 of indoor on Sunday. Hope everyone has been safe and healthy.
Can’t wait to see everybody on the range.

·
Arms Dealer
854 Posts
It never even occurred to me that you would run it any other way than a relay format given types venue.

The CMP and NRA use the same format for their State, and National Championship and are able to manage it successfully. Running the match 1x1, just seems so inefficient, and would certainly limit the number of competitors the range would be able to get through in a given day.

I bumped the other thread since we seem to be taking over this one.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
No matches near me, don't even have my guns here with me. Side effect of cancer surgery has kept me closer to the house but I still shoot a little.

·
20,432 Posts
Ed, Always good to hear from you. I wish you a complete recovery!

·
Registered
389 Posts
It’s been typical craziness here in Ohio. Things are slowly opening up and hopefully the weekly defensive pistol matches I shoot and GSSF events will start up. I’m looking forward to the GSSF at Ft Harmar in July. Be my first outdoor GSSF match. I’m normally an SMG match shooter.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
I hope to shoot Bluefield in August.
Thats where your buddy Mike made stupid bets first year match. That was great fun.

Reactions: PM720
1 - 20 of 20 Posts