close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Checking out used Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by aalmcc4, Mar 23, 2010.

1. aalmcc4

aalmcc4

My local shop has a large number of police turn-in Glocks. 19s, 17s, 22s, 23s, 31s and a 32. All are priced @ $375 with one or two @$400. Most have some holster wear (slight) and seem in good shape cosmetically. All but 2 are Gen 3 guns. All come with 2 or 3 hi cap mags.

How do you check if a Glock is mechanically sound?

Is there a process to check it's mechanical condition?

I heard that there is a test you do where you press down on the chamber or something to see if the barrel moves down????

Are these good prices?

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. Lawnboy

Lawnboy

I paid $400 out the door for a Detroit Police G22 and 3 magazines. It has some holster wear. Hopefully I didn't get taken!

3. minderasr

minderasr NRA Life Member

I went looking for a used G19 at my local fun shop. But they had none. So I ordered a new one. Can't wait till that baby arrives!

4. Chopper Dave

Chopper Dave

Field strip it. Look for anything that looks obviously broken. If you can, disassemble the slide and ensure that the striker is in good shape. Cycle the action a few times, pull the trigger and make sure the gun clicks.

Frankly, Glocks are so damn simple, and there's very little to go wrong with them, that there isn't much to write here. Sure, I've been working on Glocks for years and I could give it a more thorough test, but it's likely not necessary. Cycle the action, pull the trigger. That's really all you need to do.

5. k80clay

k80clay

Police 23s around here are $315.

If you're buying from a reputable shop, have them take you through the gun. Ask for a 3 month guarantee (esp. at $375). If anythings FUBAR'd from the get go, it will show up during this time. Otherwise, you can replace parts pretty cheap. Police trades are either maintained by department armorers, or are distributed by Glock post-trade in. I wouldn't worry too much.

6. Mtn Jack

Mtn Jack

315.00 that's like half price get one don't look back. I do a complete strip every few years mine is 22
    years old next month, not much to go wrong. Good luck.

7. glock_n_boom

glock_n_boom

Truthfully you can get a new one for almost that price via GSSF Pistol Purchase Program. I don't see a great savings on used Glocks esp. when you factor in the GSSF discount. But for what it is worth, one could always let an armorer walk through their gun (no matter where one purchased it from - new or used) who would replace any worn out parts for free most likely within reason. If you are set on the used ones, I'd be sure nothing real obvious is bad wrong then I'd get the nicest one in the bunch and not worry too much since Glock stands behind their products....

8. GlockCrazz27

GlockCrazz27 Glocky Glock

I bought a used 23c about a month ago. I got 4 10 round single stack mags(AWB in 2000) and 2 hi-cap 23 mags(13rnds). $379.00 out the door.

9. jim123

jim123

I'd buy new if that works for you.
    I rented a g17 at a gunrange to show a friend how to shoot. They did ok with a .22 so we got the g17. I shot 3 or 4 rounds and handed the gun over. They were doing well but started missing the target alltogether. I thought they were just getting tired so I tried it. I was missing the whole target 90% of the time. As the gun warmed up from all the shooting, you could not hit anything. I wonder how many rounds that gun fired in its life. Just a thought.

10. jim123

jim123

I'd buy new if that works for you.
    I rented a g17 at a gunrange to show a friend how to shoot. They did ok with a .22 so we got the g17. I shot 3 or 4 rounds and handed the gun over. They were doing well but started missing the target alltogether. I thought they were just getting tired so I tried it. I was missing the whole target 90% of the time. As the gun warmed up from all the shooting, you could not hit anything. I wonder how many rounds that gun fired in its life. Just a thought.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  11. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

u guys really get cheap guns. I can't find anything used for under $400. Or new for under $550. south Florida.

12. aalmcc4

aalmcc4

Well, in my neck of the woods, new 17/22s etc don't get any lower than about $510 plus tax, PICs. You're looking at close to $550 OTD new retail. I have no LE/Military discount option.

GSSF seems like a great deal but only one gun/year, correct?

13. Delcorbett

Delcorbett

I just bought a new G19 at charlies armory for 519 plus tax, not the gssf price but about as low as I have seen in miami, I also traded in a gently used 17 and I am sure it is for sale at 400 so used glocks can be had for cheap... Just gotta look and pounce when they show up. :)

14. aalmcc4

aalmcc4

Delcorbett,

Seems prices in S. FL & SE PA are about the same.

15. BigJoe13

BigJoe13

This is some of the stuff I do when looking at a used glock.

Step one) If ok with the guy/gal behind the counter ask to disassemble/field strip the gun. At this point you will want to verify the slide barrel and frame all have the same # on them. if they do not have matching numbers ask why and if there is documantation from Glock as to why. If you do buy the gun and they do not match you may not get as much for it during resale.

Step two) Check the muzzle end of the slide. (if the slide is off the gun and someone dropped it can bend the recoil spring tab that sticks down on the front.) Look at the slide from the side and see if it (the recoil spring tab) appears to be bent forward or back. ALSO, at this point do the firing pin function test and firing pin safety test.

Step 3) look around the rails in the frame you are looking for hair line cracks. (if you have one use a good flashlight to look into the shadows all over the frame for damage). Also look to see if the gun is a 3 pin model or 2 pin model. (Glock chnaged the .40 S&W models to 3pin for a reason, then decided to save money on makeing one model for both 9mm and .40 S&W. At this point you can decide if you want the model no mater what design it is.)

Step 4) Look down the barrel and look for dark spots in it. Or buldges on the exterior when out of the slide. This is more for private party buys as some reload and a under charged round can get stuck in the barrel and be shot out, producing the buldge or dark rings in the bore.

Step 5)Reassemble the gun. Ask if you can dry fire it or if the shop has some dummy rounds to check the trigger. First trigger pull is to see if it goes click, but keep the trigger to the rear and cycle the action. As you release the trigger feel for the reset click. If you own a Glock they mostly feel the same. Didthis feel diffrent? If so the firing pin safety plunger spring may be weak and need to be replaced.

Hopefully someone can give a better description or a link to a vid of how to do this stuff. Not saying I am 100% correct, but would like some input from more experienced guys here. The closest I have gotten to a Armorers couse from Glock is readding through the 1994 Armorers Manual.

16. aalmcc4

aalmcc4

Hey BigJoe13, thanks for a very helpful post.

17. MonsterB

MonsterB

Excellent post BigJoe...like others have said buying used is a crapshoot..you could get a 100% reliable gun, or could get a p.o.s. Considdering the cost of amo and shooting in general, you are going to spend that 100$ you save very quickly, and 100$ only gets you 300-500 rounds of amo, which can be gone in one day easy....I would wait a few weeks, save the money you would have spent on amo, and get a new one...I personally have found the gun itself is a small portion of the whole enchilada...

18. MonsterB

MonsterB

forgot to add that a new Glock is a gun that can last you for decades, maybe even forever if you take good care of it....if you buy new you can do that, but with used you just never know....you could easily have to spend the amount you save getting it to be solid....Im also not sure that the po-po take as good of care of thier guns as a regular shooting fanatic....tha being said a used police gun is normally a safe bet...get an impartial person to check it out for u if your not sure..

19. jdewberr

jdewberr

Here in Raleigh we're seeing a good amt of Sig P229 and G19/G23 showing up at our local gun shops. The 229s are both DAK and DA/SA.

20. Roarak

Roarak

Most Police guns get 100 rounds shot 4 times a year for qualification, and maybe a bit of range time on top of that. These arent rental guns that see 1k rounds a week.

Glocks last forever, i would have no problems buying a used one if the price was right. for $375, i would be all over it. Just check the basics already mentioned in this thread and save yourself 200 bucks for ammo.