Check out this source for Open Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by awlglock, Nov 1, 2005.

1. awlglock

awlglock

http://www.s-j-customs.com/

Check out this site for great open and Limited Glocks. John just finished building me a Limited G24 and I am planning on getting one of those open Glocks myself. Just thought I would pass it along.

2. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

3. Carlitos

Carlitos

Tim wrote:

"all of which you can install yourself(minus barrel fitting)."

Tim, I disagree.

Take another look at Julie Goloski's gun pictured on the site above.

Notice the scope mount? The frame is modified to accept it and a custom machined mounting pin is used in place of the locking block pin. It is not a DIY job.

And frame re-contouring? Well, I suppose you could argue that anyone with a kitchen stove and a screw driver can re-contour a Glock grip. But it won't come out looking like a John Nagel gun. John is also the only guy I know who can fit the Dawson ICE aluminum/polymer mag well for a 2011 to a Glock.

I will not get into the internal tuning changes/custom parts that John manufactures for Glocks, but I will say that the changes are extensive and are certainly not drop in. Not by a long shot. As for price, take a look at the going rate for an open gun: www.stiguns.com The price of admission starts around $2400. John's guns are a bargain in comparison.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

4. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

5. awlglock

awlglock

You can find/build an Open Glock for less than John's price but you won't find one better. John had spent several years prefecting his open guns and they are tight as can be. Everything on the gun was designed by John including the comp and the magwell. One ingredient that adds to the price is the $250.00 Lightning Strike trigger group with the titanium goodies. The price is steep but you will NOT find a smoother trigger on a Glock. It puts all the other triggers to shame. Like Carlitos said, John is a Glock Expert and his price is fair to me because I know I am getting the best product with the best service. John stand's behind his work. By the way, he uses KKM fitted barrels in all his Glocks. But to each his own. If you prefer to build your own then that is all good. But now that I have seen John's work firsthand I know that nothing I can put together can touch it. John's C-More mount is a thing of beauty. It is clean and not bulky like the Carvers. John just finished building a Limited Gun for me and it is incredible. My number of "A" shots increased when I started using it. I am know saving my pennies for one of his open Glocks.

6. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

My biggest question after looking at the site was, what exactly do I get to justify the higher than average price tag. The site doesn't do much to explain that and make me want to buy one.

Reading the site, unless you know the smith(I don't, never heard of him), there is no way to tell what makes his guns better than anyone elses.

7. awlglock

awlglock

I agree the site could be more detailed. The site was just launched so the amount of detail and information is going to improve as time goes on. John is a friend of mine that I shoot with so I know his skill is worth the price he charges. But since you don't know him you have a point about the site needing more detail. I will let John know.

8. GlockSpeed31

GlockSpeed31

His website is still under construction. I spoke with him & his partner last month and one of our local matches. I got to try one of his triggers on a limited gun and it was the best Glock triggers I have ever felt and I have been shooting Glocks from the time they started importing them. As far as never hearing his name, you will continue to hear his name as time progresses. When a World Champion shooter (Julie G.) uses one of his designs at a National match and places very well, then there must be something there!

Not only does John build custom Glocks, he also owns his own landscape business, raises a family, shoots and helps out at almost every local matches and still finds the time to build guns. And to top it off, he is a super nice guy that will talk to you about various problems or concerns or even ideas. Once I get the money, I will be buying one or two from him.

9. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

TimWarner,

If memory serves me correctly John Nagel is known as Mad Scientist on Glock Talk and also in Brian Enos forum. So if you want to get to know him better just do a search on his posts.

I was able to see some of his early work last year when I stopped by to see Carlitos in Virginia. (I’m there every other week) I wasn’t able to test fire the gun but I did get to dry fire it. The gun felt balanced in my hands and the trigger was quite good. Over the years I've had three Glock open guns built by NHO and while they have been good major guns the Achilles Heel of those designs has been the Doctor sight. They just don’t hold up.

If I was to build another Glock Open gun I would definitely give John a try since I am of the opinion that the C-More sight is the way to go for 9x19 major/minor.