Check out Mon Tulfo's Column today

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Allegra, May 16, 2005.

1. Allegra

Allegra

It seems the chief PNP is considering deputizing PPSA members as law enforcers
    Yung top std and prod shooters daw gagawin SWAT entry team ;f

2. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

On Target : How about deputizing civilians for police work?

Posted 01:06am (Mla time) May 17, 2005
    By Ramon Tulfo
    Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A21 of the May 17, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

WHENEVER there's a spate of crimes involving the use of guns, antigun advocates' No. 1 whipping boys are citizens who hold licensed firearms or those applying for a gun license.

This is unfair. Licensed gun holders or those applying for a gun license go through a very strict screening process in acquiring a gun. The Philippine National Police (PNP) makes them undergo requirements that, figuratively, have them pass through the eye of a needle. Among them are a neuropsychiatric exam, a drug test and a seminar.

In other words, a licensed gun holder most probably would not commit a crime because he would remember all the hardships he went through to obtain his firearm.

Criminals and policemen who commit crime don't go through such rigid tests in acquiring a gun. Criminals use unlicensed guns in robbing banks or kidnapping for ransom. Rogue cops failed the neuropsychiatric test or paid off those who gave it; otherwise, why would they harm citizens they have sworn to protect?

Why don't antigun advocates focus, instead, on criminals and rogue cops who commit wrongdoings? These are the people who should take the blame for crimes involving the use of guns.

There's a proposal to deputize members of the Philippine Practical Shooting Association (PPSA) as police agents. Director General Arturo Lomibao is interested in the idea and has ordered a feasibility study. In a talk I had with him last week, Lomibao said he would meet with PPSA top honchos to sound them out on the proposal. Rep. Juan Ponce "Jack" Enrile of Cagayan is PPSA president.

Under the plan, gun-carrying PPSA members would arrest malefactors when they see crimes being committed in their presence. Although any citizen could do that, a civilian deputy policeman has more power to do so because he would have a police badge.

The PPSA is a group of shooting enthusiasts who hold regular competitions to hone their skills. Many PPSA members are also law enforcement agents or military personnel. The civilian members of the PPSA are mostly prominent citizens who have distinguished themselves in their respective professions or fields. In short, they don't need salaries; they are driven by the desire to help create peaceful communities. The PNP's crime-fighting capability would be boosted if the plan pushed through.

Using prominent members of the community as deputy policemen is not new. In some towns and counties in the United States where they lack policemen or sheriffs, civilians are appointed as deputy sheriffs or deputy policemen to help in law enforcement. Many of them are prominent members of their communities. They work part-time and hardly receive any pay since most of them are highly paid professionals. Why doesn't the PNP give the idea a try?

3. vega

vega

Just like the minute men in Arizona who guards the border and help minimize illegal entry of alien.

vega

4. brawnless

brawnless Junior Member

Licensed gun owners have to go through a screening process - but not necessarily harder than what a police officer would have to "go through".

If I remember right there was an article yesterday about a cop shooting a civillian due to a traffic altercation.

Also, "prominent" figures have been involved in irresponsible gun handling before. Imagine spoiled rich kids who are able to acquire police badges to go with their guns. If they can get past the gun license screening, why can't they get past getting a police badge when it becomes available to civillians? They won't need to be paid to be a "civillian police", in fact, these guys will pay big money just to be able to be a "civillian police"!

There was an incident in Alabang where some teens fired their pistols indiscriminately. Police were able to catch them but their father was able to get them out of the precinct plus the guns they used in the shooting!

Yes, civillians can arrest bg's. Having "more power" to do so does not really depend on the badge... it's on the gun. The caveat here is that there would be more loopholes to arrest (more so to convict) someone who has both a PTC and a Civillian Police Badge!

my 0.02

:)

5. Kiddo

Kiddo

Good point brawnless. Prominent =/= good members of the society. When applying for a PTC or a firearms license, you can even opt not to take the neuro, drug and seminar anymore. Just pay the people at the gunstore. Theres a shop here in my place that offers PTC for 15k, lahat lahat na, nothing to worry about. 15k is easy money for these *prominent* types. Some people who have connections in the military even have MOs issued to them. Sino nga yung naghuhunting ng daga at his backyard with his M4? His name escapes me but I bet isa yun sa mga unang maging deputized civilians. ;g With the current system we have, na everything can be taken care of given the right amount of grease money, I don't think that this can solve the crimes in our country. Thats just the same with arming members of the media since they are under much threat nowadays. Hindi kasi porke armado na, safe na. One mediaman who was recently killed was armed, yet he didn't survive the encounter. This will make policemen more tamad, since they would think that civilians can take care of themselves already. We all know how the sheeple mentality here in our country. The way I see it, disadvantages > advantages. YMMV. :)

Edit to add:

Reserve officers are a different story though. Pwede siguro i deputize yung mga Reserves natin, since they go through training, but people with no formal training shouldn't be deputized. Again, YMMV. ;c

6. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

I heard they also do this in Hongkong.

7. jasonub

jasonub

ok since ayaw ninyo, how about ppsa members who place at least 85% so that master class shooters lang. bihira yan kasi;f

that way mahihirapan ang mga puro yabang. They have to practice a lot and end up being responsible gun owners

Me ayaw ko, id rather just compete. If free ptc... pwede na rin;f

8. 9MX

9MX Rei!

hi vega,

can you elaborate on this. why are they called "minute men?"

as for being deputized, hmmm...it depends on the implementing guidelines. but since we always rant being the whipping boys of anti-gun dreamers, i think we should pitch in.

9. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

"thanks, but no thanks!"

10. juramentado

juramentado

i agree with Kiddo. I can see a lot of money changing hands just to become deputized cops and have PTCs. I won't be surprised that the first ones to sign up are criminals themselves.

let's face it. In this country, nothing can be done without some corruption setting in.

11. vega

vega

During the revolution, they need volunteers and these are the civilians who could be ready in a minute's notice.

vega

12. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Shooting prowess is not enough to become a "Deputy" or "Posse". To become an LEO/Reserve LEO, one must complete a recognized police course. If the Philippine government adapts the methodology of community policing in the U.S., then it is possible for the citizenry perform as deputies.

FYI, a reserve LEO goes through the same academy just like the full time sworn LEO. There are only minor differences: the badge has an "R" prefix, he or she does not get paid and must agree to work at least 8 hours per month.

13. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

I'm afraid it's going to be another money-making opportunity for scalawags in power. Money will inevitably blur the screening process in favor of unqualified individuals of questionable character and deep pockets.

All this new program needs to hit the dirt is another Ryan Jaworski for it to topple down like a house of cards.

14. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

I am in the Naval Reserve but I think that jerrytrini is right in stating that one must have added Police Training to become an effective agent of civilian law.

15. Allegra

Allegra

Ako papayag ako
    i think i have the attributes of a local cop
    Malaki tyan, i like to sit all day and do nothing, I gotta rusty gun , and I really dont like paying for anything

Pero i think I can bring down the criminality in my neighborhood
    Hope it pushes thru

16. 9MX

9MX Rei!

jerrytrini is right on the necessity for police training.On second thought, this can be implemented but the PPSA should be left out of the picture.Because it only takes one accusation to make the cookie crumble.

17. CarlosDJackal

CarlosDJackal

I am a Volunteer Deputy here in Virginia. In my agency, there are more than 40 of us. We have full Police powers once we are sworn in. But we have to go through some mandatory training beforehand. The ability to shoot is not as important as having the maturity to decide when to do so and be able to deal with the public.

The problem I can see with this is unless they put effective checks and balances in place, every kuya, pinsan, and barkada of the Barangay Captain, Mayor, or Police Chief will become a Deputized Officer. This will lead to these guys misusing their new-found "authority".

They need to approach this with caution because even here in the US, it has led to some problems.

18. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Good shooter = good police? Well, there's your problem. ;Q

99.99% of a cop's time isn't about shooting. Shooting is just a perk which is far and too few in between. ;f

The concept can be good. But so is legally acquiring gun licenses or PTC's. The problem is the "strict" implementation of the process. You're good if you strictly pay cash up-front. :(

19. riddler

riddler

Very strict process? Anybody with money and can "name drop" can get a license there.

~rf ~rf ~rf

20. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Correct. And PPSA should really deliberate on this proposal as it is double bladed in nature. At stake is PPSA's name; all it takes is one erring member to put PPSA in bad light.