Glock Talk banner
1 - 6 of 37 Posts

· DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,233 Posts

10,233 Posts
The trouble with plain tarps, sheets, painter’s canvas. Is that the wind gets up underneath them and knocks all of the brass off. Unless you stake the ends down (then you trip over the stakes) or put weight on the ends. Mesh tarps at least in the last two years that I have been using them I have not had to do any of the above. Yes you have to pay a little for them but they are well worth the price in the long run. Plus I probably get 99% or more of my brass back using the mesh tarps.

10,233 Posts
Thats what is so nice about the CED. Mesh Tarp with the weights built in. Very nice really.
Steve I might have been misleading. I have not used any stakes to tie the mesh tarp down, nor do I use any weights to hold the ends down. If the wind gets under the tarp it just goes out the mesh holes and the tarp does not move. Maybe with 30 plus winds. But so far it was worked out using anything to hold it down. No need.

10,233 Posts
I gotta agree with unclebob about the mesh tarp but get the big one, this is the one I use…..

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ft-x-19-ft-11-1-2-half-inch-finished-size-mesh-tarpaulin-93625.html

Just lay it out, no staking it down. I stand a couple of feet in from the front and left edge and have recovered 99.6% (lost 2 of 500 last outing) of my brass.

When your done, pick the tarp up by the corners and stuff it and all your brass into a big tote

http://www.lowes.com/pd_286360-5143...&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=tote&facetInfo

Plenty of room for the tarp and other “necessities” for the range.

Went you get home, lift out the tarp leaving the brass in the tote, dump the brass from the tote into coffee cans (I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again………the smell of burnt powder and coffee grounds……Nirvana!) to be sorted in the comfort of your own home…………while watching NASCAR if ya like.

sig357fan
I do the same thing except at the range I put the cases in a mesh bag. Shaking the bag gets rid of a lot more of the sand, and it also lets me know if I have a split case by the sound. I then fold up the tarp and put it in the brown colored one in the picture except mine is blue that I got at Wal-Mart it was a lot cheaper. I also leave my target stands, Gopher pick up tool in the case. Cuts down on the dirt in the vehicle also.

10,233 Posts
I really don't see how a 2'X2' Net is going to catch my brass.
It does if you get the gun and net at the right angles and have the gun about a foot from the net and you only shot at one target. You also need to make it where the net stay open, if not the brass just kicks back out. Also some people put a hole in the bottom of the net so the brass falls out and into a container.

10,233 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1rfEZv_5Uo&feature=related
I like this one. Would be very easy to make out of ½” PVC pipe. 48X84 fiberglass window screen. Some rivets to hold the screen onto the 3 cross member PVC pipe. Instead of tying the ends up I would just put two buckets at both ends. Could even make it fold the same way by using treaded fittings.

1 - 6 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.