Cheaper components you actually like better than the more expensive option.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Jbritt, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Jbritt

Jbritt

I’ve tried every (almost) Mount for my ACOGs (ta31, Ta01nsn, TA33). I’ve had bobro, Adm, larue, Geissele, SLR, GDI.

my favorite mount for my ACOGs? Midwest Industries TAV1 for my TA31 and TAM for my TA33. My TA01 has the ta51 Mount cause clone rifle.

I don’t know if they are better or worse all I know if they all return to zero good enough for me but I love the MI lever system and it’s considerable cheaper than the others.

Any similar examples of this that you guys found in your quest for the perfect rifle?

2. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

I wouldn't consider MI cheaper or less quality than most of the others you listed.

rock_castle, Turk3196 and evlbruce like this.

3. Jbritt

Jbritt

I don’t consider them cheaper quality at all. I like them a lot better than all the other I mentioned. But their stuff is considerably cheaper and they are far from the hype of Geissele (who I like) and Larue (who I also like).

4. J-Doo

J-Doo

I love MI. I’ve started using their metal flip up sites on a few builds and their free float rails are outstanding. The sites can be found for roughly $100 compared to almost $200 for Troy or Diamondhead.

5. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

Magpul flip ups.

There is not a BUIS I prefer to them. Darn sure wouldn’t spend anymore. And I’m not even a huge Magpul fanboy, but they just plain work.

Valmet likes this.
  6. uofaengr

uofaengr

All of my QD mounts are ADM. Personally don't need anything more.

I like the basic Anderson ambi safeties that run about $20 and they now have a scalloped version.

Magpul buis work fine for me.

NAZG26 likes this.
  7. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Toolcraft BCG.

rock_castle, Jbritt and J-Doo like this.
  8. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

This for me ^^^^

9. ede

ede

My wife has Magpul flip ups. Not that it's bad I just think it's funny when I can say my wife has whatever. Guy I worked with got his truck lifted, my wife's truck was lifted more. Always told him when he talked about his truck.

10. Qman2

Qman2

I gave up trying to go cheap because it cost me so much more money. Bought a cheap holographic optic for me AR for $120 which included a 4x scope too. Neither would hold a zero. That meant that the replacement Eotech coat me $120 more

Just_plinking and cheygriz like this.
  11. evlbruce

evlbruce

I use MI on everything.

I really like the Primary Arms Cyclops, and the ACSS is the bees knees.

12. ACE31

ACE31

^^This all day every day^^

13. Jbritt

Jbritt

Yes. Toolcraft is most certainly another one.

I also found I prefer the Vickers 10 dollar extensions over the TTI 35 dollar extensions for the 43.

I still prefer KAC BUIS but I haven’t bought any new ones in years. I think if I ever need another set of BUIS I’ll try the Magpul pros.

14. 0311INF

0311INF

GI web slings.

The new high speed plastic and nylon stuff with qd attachments, buckles and so forth just don't make sense, and can't usually be used to shoot with.

I learned with a GI sling as a shooting aid and they carry a rifle just fine, thanks.

Jbritt likes this.
  15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

They work just fine. Maybe some don't because of shoddy design or implementation but there are good ones out there. If a basic GI sling works for ya, great. I suspect most pros are running more than that these days.

16. Jbritt

Jbritt

While I like GI slings, one thing I will never change regardless of price is my BFG Vickers slings.

17. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

This inexpensive bi-pod from Amazon.

20191209_125145.jpg

18. 0311INF

0311INF

I'm not sure what scenario would require me to utilize a fancy modern sling. Certainly I can see a use for one on long patrols. I carried an M249 for a year and definitely appreciated patrol/slung carry.
    However, once contact is made, hitting the dirt or finding cover and engaging with a sling around your back/shoulders is not the best tactic.
    I guess with today's ridiculous static drill training where instructors have students stand in front of targets and transition to pistols, maybe then a sling like that is good.
    Otherwise, it's in the way, the typical design with multiple straps and buckles gets caught on everything, and it often has it's own "manual of arms" that adds to complexity.
    I have a magpul MS4 which isn't too bad but...still no. No one stays slung up after the shooting starts.