close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cheap things that save you tons of money

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glockdoc21, Mar 20, 2013.

1. DAKA

DAKA

Lifetime? You'll live longer and for sure have better health
    I quit 45 years ago, now at 78, the feeling that you could pick up a cigarette and start again NEVER GOES AWAY
    BUT you gotta' wanna' quit

2. DAKA

DAKA

Low flow shower head. It takes some getting used to, but it cuts both water and electric bills since you'll need to reheat less water.

When our hot water heater went bad we replaced it with an instant hot water heater, needed to run a 60 amp line, but the water hookup was super easy...now instead of keeping 40 to 60 gallons of water hot all the time we get hot water instantly, only one CON, when Florida Flicker and Flash (FPL) has one of its "bleeps" (power goes off for a few seconds, don't be in the shower...instant cold water) being in the shower when it happens has only happened once in 10 years of the Instant heater

3. rustygun

rustygun

I thought of another one that is cheaper then store bought meat. In my area we have an active 4h auction every year. I split the cost with my folks and we both get a half a steer and half a pig. The trick is to talk to the kids parents and see if there are any under weight animals so you can get them on the cheap. After butcher costs we ended up at just under 2 bucks for the beef per pound and around a buck 40ish for the pork. That is comparable in my area for just ground meat cost wise. But you also get the roasts steaks stew meat and organs for sausage and specialty items like pigs feet for my tomato sauce. Mind you not as free as home grown or shot animals but not bad value.

4. ChallengerSRT

ChallengerSRT

Not to mention you're getting more puddy too! :rofl:
    Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but my suggestion is rubbers. I've paid many tens of thousands of dollars in child support over the years and my kids don't appreciate it one bit.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  5. Deerjager

Deerjager

A tire gage for keeping tires properly inflated.
    Reloading my own ammo.
    Cooking a lot of meals at home instead of eating out.

6. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

Don't use credit cards or borrow money for cars. Saves you a ton of money and doesn't cost you a cent. I was tired of making other people wealthy.

7. knotquiteawake

knotquiteawake

Just do something like this:
    http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/

I made a variation of this and all it cost me was the screws and washers and the little coaxial adapter thingy.

End result isn't pretty but I get all the digital channels just fine now.
    [​IMG]

8. Silent Sir

Silent Sir

A lot of these above are excellent. I would also submit that the #1 saving opportunity for people who have investments is actually go to battle against investment fees and structure your portfolio in a way that is highly tax efficient. If you are retired and have a 401K know how much expense you are paying. Chances are you can roll it over to a company such as VanGuard or other provider and save thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of dollars per year depending on your portfolio.

Also, if you have both taxable and tax deferred savings if you structure your portfolio to be tax efficient by keeping you tax inefficient assets in your tax deferred accounts and highly tax efficient index stock funds in your taxable account your savings on taxes can be tremendous as well.

9. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Trump Tower, overlooking the wall Mexico bought.
    I stock up on ice in the winter when it's cheaper.:cold:

10. Desert Duck

Desert Duck

When I go on the road, I use only ice machines at hotels to keep my beverages cold. Plus I fill several of the yellow cups from Dickeys BBQ with water and freeze them for grande ice cubes before I leave. Why pay for ice?

11. eccho

eccho

I don't smoke, but I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say they know that, but can't or won't quit.

He's still got a point. Sometimes it's better to buy a decent something instead of several crappy somethings over time.

12. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

A digital TV antenna to replace my cable bill, and headaches. With net flicks, I dont miss anything.

13. Lazy R

Lazy R

If you drink much beer, try brewing your own. I did this for years. Once you advance to all-grain brewing, you can make ales that are as good or better than anything you buy, and your pint of beer will cost you about 25 cents.

The equipment investment is not bad, and you'll pay for it in savings quickly. I figured over the 5 years or so that I brewed, I saved a few grand. Kind of a fun hobby too.

14. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Crafting your own beer and wine is a little like reloading ammo. You can make quality product for less money and you can shoot more, too. :supergrin:

I make great fruit wines for $0.50-$3 a bottle, and vinifera grape wines like Cabernet Sauvignon for $3-$4 a bottle that are equal to $20 commercial wines. Making your own is a fun hobby and a useful social skill. :cool:

15. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

Every time I go grocery shopping I try to panhandle at least two people in the parking lot.

Generally I try to mooch as much as possible from family, friends, and coworkers.

I avoid people around birthdays and holidays so I can get away with not giving them a gift.

16. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Pick a fight with your wife, GF, etc before birthdays, Christmas, and Valentines. Also, pilfer office supplies and TP from work whenever possible.

17. railfancwb

railfancwb

Save even more by not flushing until that toilet paper is finished. BTW, where do you store the half used TP?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. railfancwb

railfancwb

40 years ago for me. You are right about that feeling never going away. I still slap the left site of my chest now and then for the cigs and matches I once carried there.

At some point after I quit smoking the strike strip on book matched was moved to the back of the book. Had I still been smoking, this would have eliminated my ultra cool light up procedure.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. steve581581

steve581581

I cut my own hair, give my dogs their shots, rarely eat out, roll my own smokes, fix things around the house, do all maintenance and minor repairs on my car, have a good friend who is a master mechanic, bought house instead of rent, drive older paid off car, make ol lady pay for cable and groceries. Basically I try to do anything and everything myself before ill consider paying someone to do it for me.

20. DAKA

DAKA

I hope some of you guys are kidding with your "ideas"
    then again .....here... at Glock Talk ?????