close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cheap things that save you tons of money

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glockdoc21, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Landmonster

Landmonster

Yes, and it is healthier too.

Anything cheap like this that also improves your health will also save money later in life: Lower medical costs, lower insurance rates, fewer dental cavities, etc.

2. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3. Landmonster

Landmonster

Here's a main reason why I'm on this site.

• Using Glocks is more cost effective than using Sigs, Hks, or 1911s. :rofl:
    • 9mm is more cost effective than .45 or other exotic calibers.
    • Using a gun for self-protection is actually a reasonable means to defend your life and property. Cheaper than being a victim.

4. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    :rofl:

5. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

And savings on the cancer treatment.

6. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Spending more on hi test for the riding mower than like the last one that died after beating itself to death where the mechanic could no longer peen the cylinder. Saved maybe 50 bucks over 3 years by using cheaper gas, then after it died having to spend 1000 on lawn care for the last year i owned the place waiting for the house to sell cause no mower.

Didnt realize that run on knock and ping wasnt just a quaint annoyance at shutdown but damaging the engine.

New 42" gets hi test only and now that its broken in will get Pennzoil Synthetic Platinum for this seasons oil change at 7 fiddy a quart. Crankcase is less than 2 qts, get over it.

Some money is not worth saving.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  7. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

8. ZombieJoe

ZombieJoe

Agree, I save where I can. I quit smoking in September, I started changing my own oil about a year and half ago, etc, etc. But I also like to go to Red Lobster once a month, when out of town I might go to a strip club (no more then 2x a year). Im not a robot, and will not live like one.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. Rcsteffen

Rcsteffen

I cut my own hair, work in my own vehicles, and do most of my own construction when needed. Save's a ton.Wife just quit smoking too!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. Adjuster

Adjuster

I just purchased a angle grinder from Harbour Freight for $18.00 and a 10 pack set of grinder, cut off and flapper wheels for $8.00. I have or had some rebar type hurricane anchor bolts sticking out of the ground in my yard. Dug down about 6" around them and the angle grinder cut through them like butter. Instant satisfaction at an extremely reasonable cost. If the grinder breaks down tomorrow I will still be satisfied. This in fact might be the only time I will even use the grinder as I sure don't have any further need for it at this time.

/

11. Detectorist

Detectorist

Straight Talk phone
    Skillet
    Using hot dogs for catfish bait
    Don't have to pay much for medical care...US Army veteran.

12. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Reading the ingredients labels on over-the-counter meds, and buying the (MUCH) cheaper knockoff with the same ingredients.
    (here's an example: "Excedrin" and "Excedrin Migraine" are the EXACT same ingredients in the exact same dosages...pure marketing. Of course, generic "headache pain reliever" is also the exact same thing: Tylenol and Caffeine.)

You guys who cut your own hair....you rockin' the mullet?

13. itstime

itstime

Ditto on this. And it's pretty cool to go old school.

14. FH Alum

FH Alum

Bicycle. For small local errands it beats the price of gas in my truck. Also has health benefit to walk/bike when logical.

Good shoes. Good quality boots and dress shoes that can be re -soled will last decades, look better, have more class and are more comfortable.

An expensive suit can be brought down by cheep shoes.

Good shoes/boots can dress up even jeans and a casual shirt.

15. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

I only change my sox once a week, saves on my soap bill and my neighbor's e-Lec-tricity. His bill, because I'm wired into his meter! :)

16. kirbinster

kirbinster

Buying Ammo in bulk on-line, so much cheaper than at the range.

Buying a pair of lightly used '02 Toyota Prius in 2005 when no one wanted them and they were cheap. Have been great cars and we average 45 mpg on them.

The best (but not cheap) thing was installing a 10KW solar array on my roof in 2005. System paid for itself in just over three years and has been a cash cow ever since. Best investment I ever made.

....and no I am not an environmental nut, far from it - I only bought these things because stupid Liberals got government to subsidize them and they made economic sense.

17. Rcsteffen

Rcsteffen

That might actually require some skill. High and tight is easy.:cool:

18. Altaris

Altaris

When I was growing up we had a neighbor that would only allow the house to flush the toilet once per day. It was a husband, wife, and 2 kids filling that thing up too. This was to save water for the planet(they were hippies), and to save money on their water bill.
    They had several other weird money saving habits, but that was definitely the grossest of them.

19. Z71bill

Z71bill

I bought the same HF grinder 8 or so years ago to cut re-bar for a sidewalk I was putting in -

I also figured it would be 1 use -

Have used the darn thing dozens of times since.

----------------
    I got a free multimeter at Harbor Freight -used one of their free with any purchase coupons.

I am sure as heck not an electrician - but thought it was sort of cool.

First thing I discovered -

Flashlight was dim - so - like always I figured it was dead batteries - was about to replace them - pulled out my multimeter and discovered two of the D cell batteries still putting out ~1.55 volts - but the third battery was only .6 of a volt.

Since discovering this - I always check all the batteries before I replace them - I was surprised to find how many times only one battery out of 3 or 4 was actually bad.

I try and put batteries with about the same voltage together in the same devise - and use the ones that are starting to get weak in my wife's battery operated candles (she has many of them all over the house) - that way I always have new fresh batteries in my critical (home defence:upeyes:) flashlights.

20. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Yep, that would have saved some money for sure. :wavey: