Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,was at cabelas yesterday,they had some cheap herters steel cased 9mm in a tuna can,900 rds for 209.00,what a deal,if it goes bang anybody use this crap in their g19?-jeff:wavey:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've never used them, but I wouldn't be afraid to run anything through my G19

As for price, seems decent. However, you can get Federal 9mm at Wal Mart for about $1.50 less per 50 than that

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
It's actually $189.99 per can now. By FAR the best deal I've seen on 9mm in a while. That said, there's also tax and the cost of gas to make the trip.

I happen to live less than 30 miles from the store so I plan to pick up 2 tins this weekend...plus I have $100 in club points and a $100 gift card....$200 for 1800rds. can't beat that with a stick! Well...reloading is cheaper...but I like having the ammo sealed up in the cans. Means it'll keep pretty much indefinitely. I've shot stuff from the early 1900's that was in cans...fired fine!

Only thing I've noticed with this polymer coated stuff is you have to scrub the barrel/chamber REAL good or else it cakes up and causes cases to become stuck. That's in my AR with Wolf anyways...

-Emt1581

·
Registered
140 Posts
somebody just had a thread about this ammo. it wasnt the 9mm it was the 45acp. case split and blew the magazine out the bottom of his G21sf. I believe they are paying him the replacement cost of his gun and the ammunition but still, after reading about that I wouldn't run it through my gun.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233375

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
somebody just had a thread about this ammo. it wasnt the 9mm it was the 45acp. case split and blew the magazine out the bottom of his G21sf. I believe they are paying him the replacement cost of his gun and the ammunition but still, after reading about that I wouldn't run it through my gun.

Woah! Never heard of that happening before. I'll have to give that thread a read. Still, I've never had any such problems with the steel cased stuff. Glocks seem to love it. I'm guessing it was an isolated case.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
NRA Life Member
6,799 Posts

This is the same thread I was just going to mention. I can promise you my guns won't be seeing any of it after seeing the pics on what happened to his gun. It looked OK from the outside, but he mentioned that the case had gotten stuck in the chamber. He is lucky to be okay, and getting a check for a new gun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Herters is by far the filthiest ammo I have ever used. I bought a box of 9 and 380 to test it and by the end of the box my TCP would jam every other round. The walmart federal is much better ammo going to stick with that

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have not used that ammo. I would ask people that run shooting schools if they see that ammo and how it works. That indecent on the other thread could have been a 1 time problem. If you don't think that the big name ammo companies have not had this happen you are naive.

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
The Federal 115 gr at Wally World is the way to go for cheap, decent
factory 9mm ammo IMO. $9.47 per 50 around these parts.
I haven't seen 9mm at Wally World that price in years. Hell the new orange box stuff used to be $17 or $18 bucks a box before they dropped it to $12...because no one was buying it. :dunno:

-Emt1581

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Well I just got back from Wally World. Yall were right...I almost didn't believe my eyes but BRASS cased Federal WAS $9.47 a box. I called ahead to make sure they had it. When I got there the woman only wanted to sell me 5 boxes...I said NOO...I talked to the manager and he said I could get 10+. So after a few minutes of getting her facts right, I got 17 boxes! :supergrin:

I guess since the hoarding on ammo last year they started out with a 2 box maximum and then raised it to 6, then "a few days ago" they took away all limitations.

-Emt1581

·
Crusty Member
11,014 Posts
Buy a Dillon and you can turn out quality brass cased FMJ 9mm for around $120 per thousand. Then that $9.47 per 50 deal at Wal-Mart doesn't look so hot.

In the good old days, which weren't so long ago, I could mail order CCI Blazer from Natchez for under $100 per 1000 rounds.

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Buy a Dillon and you can turn out quality brass cased FMJ 9mm for around $120 per thousand. Then that $9.47 per 50 deal at Wal-Mart doesn't look so hot.

In the good old days, which weren't so long ago, I could mail order CCI Blazer from Natchez for under $100 per 1000 rounds.
Good old days...it was 7 years ago!! I used to do the same thing...CCI Aluminum for around $97 SHIPPED! :crying:

-Emt1581

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Herter's is crappy ammo. One of my lease partners brought some out and we had several FTFs with a Walther PPS. And, as mentioned, some guy here had major problems with his Glock using this ammo. It's very dirty.

·
NRA Life Member
69,879 Posts
hey guys,was at cabelas yesterday,they had some cheap herters steel cased 9mm in a tuna can,900 rds for 209.00,what a deal,if it goes bang anybody use this crap in their g19?-jeff:wavey:
Not that good a deal really - Wal Mart is selling Federal brass cased full metal jacket for about $170 for 900 rounds in 50 round boxes. Winchester White Box is running around $210-215 for 900 rounds in 100 round boxes.

Considering I don't want steel cases inside my chamber and Federal and WWB is pretty sure to be better quality, I'd go to Wal Mart.

·
NRA Life Member
69,879 Posts
I haven't seen 9mm at Wally World that price in years. Hell the new orange box stuff used to be $17 or $18 bucks a box before they dropped it to $12...because no one was buying it. :dunno:

-Emt1581
I just recently (2-3 weeks ago) bought 15 50-round boxes of Federal at Wal Mart for $9.47 each.

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
I just recently (2-3 weeks ago) bought 15 50-round boxes of Federal at Wal Mart for $9.47 each.
Read my lower post. ;)

I just might go and buy the rest of the area wal-marts and buy out their Federal 9mm stock as well. I'm running low on 9mm (under 2000rds) and need to replenish my supply. :)

-Emt1581

1 - 20 of 30 Posts