close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cheap airline tickets?? Military discount?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by CarlosC, Mar 31, 2012.

1. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

I'm retired AF and would like to fly my mom and dad out to spend some time with me. What are the best places online to buy them round trip tickets, possibly using a military discount?

2. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Expedia. Orbitz.

I am not getting why you think retired AF makes your parents eligible for a military discount?

But here is a hint. If you fly united in uniform and current military ID they will upgrade you space available from economy to e-plus and you get to board with their highest tier of frequent flyers (eg before first class).

Dana

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

What I was getting at was my purchasing the tickets and getting a mil discount, then sending it to them. Not sure if that's somehow illegal or would violate any discount terms. See what I'm saying?

4. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Tickets are generally non transferrable and only good for the person named on the ticket. The name and birthdate must be submitted to TSA secure flight system and the ticket holder must be approved by TSA to fly.

No. You cannot buy a ticket in tour name and send it.

Dana

5. razageorge

razageorge

You are wrong. You can buy tickets for anyone you want, I have done it myself. As long as their name is on the ticket then that's all you need.

If you haven't flown recently then the way it works is you purchase the ticket for their name, Joe Blow or whatever, online and use your credit card and info to make the purchase. Send the link to the E-ticket or they check in at the airport and you are all set. Done it plenty of times.

Trying to find a Military discount is another story altogether.
    ps, the best discount I have found are just booking early or signing up for email alerts from Expedia, Orbits, etc,. or directly from the airline. They will have online sales every so often. Where are you trying to get them to, point A to B?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  6. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Did you read what I said? I didn't say you couldn't buy tickets for someone else. I said they were non transferable and then explained the secure flight program.

No. I havent flown much recently. I am only on about 50k miles this year....

dana

7. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

Try USAA travel services.

1-800-571-4208

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  8. razageorge

razageorge

Your response did not appear to address his question and as long as the OP does not get confused by your answer, that's all that matters.

9. devildog2067

devildog2067

Why would you think that tickets in your parents' name would be eligible for a military discount, is what DanaT is asking.

What Dana is saying is, even if there WAS a military discount (which is not something I've ever heard of) it would only probably only apply to CarlosC's ticket. He can't purchase a ticket in his name and transfer it (it's illegal post 9/11) and if he were to purchase a ticket in his parents' name and pay for it (which is perfectly legal) they likely wouldn't qualify for any military discount that exists.

10. razageorge

razageorge

I understood his post but it came off as "no, you cannot buy a ticket for someone else".

OP asked: "What are the best places online to buy them round trip tickets, possibly using a military discount?"

"No. You cannot buy a ticket in tour name and send it."

His answer came off pretty condescending, to boot.

"I am not getting why you think retired AF makes your parents eligible for a military discount?"

Unfortunately for the poster, there is no real Military discount for air line tickets. He can get a discounted flight through SATO travel if he was on Military orders and still active duty, for himself or family listed on orders.

(This is now becoming a bigger stink than it should be)

11. AlexTheSquid

AlexTheSquid

In all honesty, after flying across the country a handful of times while on active duty, you get as good of a price, if not cheaper, by booking through Kayak or Expedia or such. I can vouch for the upgraded seating on United though, too bad it has to be in uniform. Navy doesn't allow us to fly in uniform unless its dress whites/blues... not fun to fly in those.

12. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I am also retired AF. I don't know if it still exists, but there used to be an airline ticket category called military reserved. It was cheaper than a regular reserved seat ticket, but more expensive than standby. I don't recall if you had to fly in uniform or not, but back then (we're talking 1960s) you had to be in uniform for a lot of things you don't now.

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

USMC only allows the utility uniform on base, and I think that's a great rule. Honestly, all of the sailors and airmen I see running around airports in their ACUs or ABUs look like *** in my opinion. Field uniforms are for the field.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

This is Glock Talk - any post regarding any special treatment or appreciation for the military or police is nearly always met with posts about how the military and police are nothing special and every Glock Talker selling insurance and used cars is entitled to the same respect, etc., blah, blah, blah. You'll get used to it. Apparently there's a lot of ... envy in the internet gun world.

Based on years of experience here - that's what DanaT was really saying.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Boy some hate out there. Someones cornflakes must have gotten wet this morning.

When I traveled on Government ID I seldom found the "government rate" any better then ASKING or checking what other discounts were available. Strange but true the government does not set up best deals. (who would have thought that?) :)

Best plane tickets I have found is check the normal search means. (Orbits, travelocity, etc) and if possible search multi days. (3 days before, after) Ideally check at least 14 days before planned departure date.
    Avoid stops if possible. (they are PITA, waste time, possible delays, rush to next flight, mech issues....) Plus they often cost MORE then nonstops (assuming airports have NS service.)
    When you find fight date, time, etc that works. Go to airline that will be doing flying (if both directions are same carrier) I am of the OPINION that when there are issues/delays... saying that you bought ticket from DELTA (and having basic info on their policy) MIGHT get you better treatment then "I paid for this ticket on www.dirtcheapticket.com and I want a motel room for night"
    It likely does not matter. I just feel I have a better "contract" when I purchase direct from their site. (and sometimes they offer perks if you buy online direct, i.e. one free checked bag)
    Good luck.

16. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

What Larry said.
    Compare airfares on Orbitz (or any other ticket broker), buy on the airlines' websites.
    Also check SWA and AA websites seperately, because they don't share their data with those ticket brokers. If you buy from Travelocity, your customer service is from Travelocity...which can be a pain if things go wrong.

This is doubly true with hotels.

17. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Wow.

What I said was why does one think that there should be discounts for parents of retired military. You extrapolated it from there.

I would bet dollars to donuts that I have done more for active military flying that you have. I suspect that one flight from LAX to Honolulu i have done more. I was in the Xmas mood and burned all my 1st class upgrades so that soldiers could sit in 1st. it was quite entertaining. When the FA came and asked what people wanted for dinner they were passing. Then the FAs explained dinner and drinks were complimentary in 1st.

Now how I chose the ones. Two were injured (leg brace on one and arm brace on another). The baptism that was flying if he wanted an upgrade. He turned it down and recommended two soldiers that were more deserving than he was.

Would I upgrade a cop that was sitting there? No. They are well paid and can afford to buy their own tickets.

18. AlexTheSquid

AlexTheSquid

Oh I agree... we still cannot wear our utilities to the Airport and I hope never will... but I would rather wear my service uniform (khakis) instead of dress blues.

19. devildog2067

devildog2067

I thought you could wear the new peanut butter cups while traveling...?

20. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

One hint (secret). If you fly united (I don't know about other airlines) if you are active military (or immediate) family traveling under hardship (I don't know all the details but I believe family going to see wounded soldier are in it), there is a mileage plus program where people donate frequent flyer mile so that active military can use them. Also, for those that participate in mileage plus, you can donate miles for them to use.

I don't know requirements to use them, but donating you can do online from your MP account.

Just a tip.

Dana