close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Charcoal revisited...

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by PDogSniper, Nov 18, 2004.

1. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Ok, here's my quandry... My Kingsford grill burned out finally after about five years so my quest has been to find the ultimate charcoal grill....

One of my issues that I had with the Kingsford (kettle grill), even though I did like the way it cooked, was that the curved botton did not allow for even air flow, consequently the outside of the coal bed did not heat as evenly as the center...

Tonight I went shopping for a new grill and landed on a Char-Griller. It's a cylindrical type grill (800 sq in bed), has adjustable coal heights but it only allows air flow from one end and a chimmey at the other end... I do like the fact that it has cast iron grates... It has a optional smoking chamber which I didn't purchase at this time...

It seems to me that the grills with the curved bottoms have a hard time distributing the heat evenly towards the outside of the grill due to choked air flow from the curved bottom...

I guess my issues are who decided that a grill had to have a curved bottom as opposed to a square bottom with air vents equally spaced...?

Anyone else ever ponder this issue with charcoal grills...?

Oh, by the way, I did find some "lump charcoal"...;)

Comments...?

Here's a teaser...;c [​IMG]

2. noway

noway

one simple solution is a offset firebox with grill seperate from the fire source.

e.g

a true smoker...

You can even get better heating with a simple built 50gal horizon laid BBQ with the coals stack on one side and the exhaust on the opposite. You cook all of the slower meats on the side opposite the the fire and can erect a simple catch/water tray with support made of bricks. This is my method of a simple BBQ.

btw, nice looking steaks on that grilll. Call me when they are medium done. I'll bring the potatoes and beer.
    ;c

3. lwt210

lwt210

This smoker has changed our lives. We luv the thing and use it all of the time.

It converts over to grilling simply by building the fire in the main cooking chamber. I ordered a couple of extra grates for the coals and man does it do a number on steaks, chops, fish, burgers, dogs....you name it.

We have grilled corn, baked potatoes, and smoked all sorts of meats ranging from pork butts to turkey to chickens to ribs. I am cooking the Thanksgiving meal on it in a few days and the family is already getting impatient.

I got this one at Walmart for like 160.00 plus tax. The thermometer was an extra 14.00 and the extra racks were like five bucks a piece.

4. noway

noway

{It converts over to grilling simply by building the fire in the main cooking chamber. I ordered a couple of extra grates for the coals and man does it do a number on steaks, chops, fish, burgers, dogs....you name it.
    }

yeap the offset smoker is a blessing for cooking outdoors for BBQ. Not a big fan or charbroil but it will do.