Chaplain's Corner - "...we recently lost soldiers assigned to the 56th BCT

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by RussP, Oct 26, 2005.

1. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

CHAPLAIN'S CORNER

Loss of the Best – The Best of Texas’ Pride

There are deep spiritual lessons only learned in a time of loss.

Most of you know that we recently lost soldiers assigned to the 56th Brigade Combat Team.

Holding Memorial Ceremonies for each of these American heroes is my humble privilege. The Memorial Ceremony is the time of honor and remembrance for the fellow soldiers in the theater of war.

Each Memorial Ceremony is dignified and respectful. Each Ceremony contained the traditional parts ending with the Military Honors. There is the firing of volleys; one, two, three; playing Taps on the bugle. Then there is the last salute.

Soldiers file silently past the Memorial Display to give the last salute. There in front of you are the boots, the dog-tags, the helmet, the flag of our Country and unit. They are symbols, only symbols to serve as a reminder of a life given for a higher cause.

That last salute is hard, really hard. Each Soldier comes to attention then raises their hand sharply to the “salute” position. It’s the last time you salute a Soldier who did more, gave more, gave all, and was better than you. It is the last time. It is the last time before forever.

During that last salute you swear you’ll be as good, as brave, and as courageous as they. And you dedicate yourself to their memory; their cause.

The hand comes down. You do a right-face and walk away changed; changed forever. Today you are a better American than you’ve ever been before.

You are a better American because your Soldier buddy gave all.

It changes one’s perspective. Nothing is ever the same. You recognize time as being so short. You recognize priorities for what they are: the really important things.

We will always remember. They are our honored fallen. We will:

Commit their lives to our memories.
    Dedicate our lives to honor their sacrifice.
    Honor their patriotism with our continued service to the United States.

We will trust God more and increase our faith. We will believe more, and pray more.

These are spiritual lessons learned through loss, trial and hardship.

We appreciate your prayers. Remember the families in your prayers.

CH Don Sides
    Thunderbolt 28
    10/14/2005 9:03:07 AM

2. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

3. RussP

;?

4. reconvic

reconvic Recon Marine

May he know rest in Peace.
    Semper Fi

5. TxSoldier

TxSoldier

I'm an NCO with the 56th Brigade Combat Team in Iraq. For those of you who don't know, the 56th is part of the 36th Infantry Division of the Texas Army National Guard. It has a rich tradition in military history, especially WWII. The 36ID was reactivated in 2004, and sent a BDE to Iraq. I'm part of that BDE. Anyways....I was at that memorial service CH Sides was talking about. I never really thought I'd end up serving in a wartime situation. I served 4yrs active with the 1st Cav Div and nothing ever happened. Then I joined the guard. Low and behold look what happened. The time came when my country called on me to serve her and our people. The first time you loose someone in your unit, if you knew them or not, is a hard one. It makes you think of yourself and how your family would react and feel if that happened to you. It makes you wanna do your job by the book and even better next time. We've been very lucky during our deployment here. My section especially. We've been hit by IED's on several occasions and each time either no injuries or very minor ones. I thank god for watching over all of us here and our families at home going through the hardships of being worried and scared day in and day out. I also thank all of you, the American people for your continued prayers and thoughts for us. My time as a soldier is something I am EXTREMELY proud of and will never forget. Sorry for the long post too lol.

SGT Travis Brown
    HHC 56th Brigade Combat Team
    36 Infantry Division
    Texas Army National Guard

6. RENEA

RENEA Black Rifle guy

7. RussP

Sgt Brown, you don't worry about how long a post you make. No one here will object.

God has been good to the 56th. Our prayers are covering you and every other Soldier there.

You just stay focused on your job. Keep your Soldiers focused. Not much longer now!!!

Stay safe, ya hear!!

:cool:

8. TxSoldier

TxSoldier

Thanks so much for the kind words. People don't understand how hearing things like that from people help to motivate us. It's always so nice to hear things like that from strangers, makes us feel like we're so appreciated.

9. RussP

You're welcome, but I must correct one thing. We might not have met, yet, but we are not strangers. We're part of a brotherhood of warriors who take pride in serving this great country. More deeply, though, we are part of the 56th BCT Family of Soldiers, parents, wives and husbands, children, family and friends who've sacrificed much during these long, long months. As part of the NCO corps, you've looked after your family of Soldiers, both enlisted and officer. You can be proud of that for the rest of your life. Now, bring those Texans home!!!!!!!!!!

;? ;?

10. SeriousStudent

SeriousStudent

One of the guys I work with is in the Guard over there right now. I am not sure if he is in the 36th Infantry Division. He's from Dallas. He's a LT on the medical side. A bunch of us at work are planning a homecoming for him here.

You men and women are always in our thoughts and prayers. We can't wait for you to come back home, safe and proud. We appreciate what you do so much! Thanks to your sweat and toil, our families here are safe. My son and daughter sleep safe every night, because of men and women like TxSoldier. You are truly like the virtuous knight of old, protecting the innocents and the helpless.

What you do is absolutely important. Don't ever let the nay-sayers and critics get you down. We appreciate you so very much.

;?

11. TxSoldier

TxSoldier

Thank you so much, I can't tell you how much those words mean to a soldier. Sometimes it seems like all we see on the news back home are people with the impression that we're just over here killing for the heck of it, and just against the war in general. I just wish they'd actually show some of the good stuff that has been done by us over here.

SGT B