Changing uppers on an AR

Discussion in 'GATE NFA/Class III' started by exmdshooter, Mar 19, 2010.

1. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

Just curious about the rules for changing the upper on a Class III AR. I expect it's not an issue so long as it's not a short barrelled upper which would require an additional stamp, or would it? How about putting a dedicated .22 LR upper on the gun for some inexpensive full-auto fun - any issue there?

If not, can you recommend such an upper that's known to function reliably in FA?

TIA for your reply.

2. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner Millennium Member

There is no such thing as a "Class III" AR-15. Class 3 refers to the type of SOT - Special Occupation Tax - a dealer (FFL) must have to deal in NFA weapons. A Class 2 SOT is the one for manufacturing.

Individuals possess NFA items on approved Form 1, 4, or 5's.

As far as AR-15's and the NFA, the most common two things are: machineguns (pre-86 for individual possession) and SBR (short-barreled rifles). It sounds like you're talking about a machinegun based on an AR-15 receiver. Note that only pre-86 machineguns are transferable to individuals.

Note that a Form 4 has includes a description of the item, including barrel length, overall length, and caliber. These fields need to accurately reflect the configuration of the item.

Additional SBR "uppers" do not require stamps - the lower is the NFA item, however, you cannot possess additional "SBR" uppers if you have any additional non-SBR/pistol AR-15 lowers. This would run afoul of constructive possession according to the BATF. See this thread for a discussion http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1198172

With that taken into account, there is nothing wrong with using a .22LR upper on a registered AR-15-style machinegun. I know there is a version of the Ciener .22 kit that will work full-auto. As far as I know, the Kuehl and Spike's Tactical uppers should also work.

-z

3. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

Mr. Smith: thanks - and I apologize for my confusion r.e. the terminology. I'm engaged in my first foray into NFA territory.

For clarification - I am buying a pre-86 AR15 machine gun; my Form 4 / tax stamp is currently pending (in the hands of the BATFE). The gun has a 20" barrel.

Can I buy a short barrelled upper and put it on this receiver, or not, since the gun was registered and came to me with a 20" barrel?

Can I assume from your final comments that it's OK to put a (non-SBR) .22LR upper on this registered receiver?

Sorry if you already answered these questions, but I can be dense at times and want to make sure I understand your reply.

Thanks again!

4. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner Millennium Member

The 16" barrel rule does not apply to machineguns, so a registered machinegun lower can have a SBR upper without any additional "SBR" related paperwork.

With regard to the description of the rifle, the Form 4 should reflect the configuration of the item. The easiest way to modify this is to amend the description by submitting an update to the BATF. I believe you can list multiple configurations.

5. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

Thanks - now I understand!