Changing to night sights.... How difficult?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by pdblue, Oct 30, 2010.

1. pdblue

pdblue

I am wanting to change to a night sight for my G21 and am curious as to how difficult of a job this is. I do not have the $100 tool to push the rear sight in and out. Tips and tricks to get this done are welcome. I am thinking about Trijicons or Meprolights.... any suggestions? Thanks

2. bentbiker

bentbiker

I think every manufacturer will tell you NOT to attempt the change without the proper tool (pusher). If you crack the tritium vial, you no longer have night sights. Given your ID, I would think you must have access to an armorer with the proper tool.

3. hk_shootr

hk_shootr NRA Life member

A tool is a must! My suggestion would be buy the sights you want,
    then find a certified Glock Armorer locally to install the sights.

Many will install them for free or $20,.....the highest I've ever seen.

4. tuica

tuica

The gun store where I purchased my night sights installed them at no charge - but I tipped the fellow $10. Cheers

5. Slacker

Slacker Millennium Member

I installed mine on my G27 with a brass dowel and hammer. No problems at all.

6. tx787

tx787

If you send your slide to Glock they will install NS for $57 including shipping back to you. My LGS also will sell and install Glock NS for $57 if the Glock was purchased from them, or $10 more if it wasn't. Doesn't seem worth trying to DIY.

7. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I've got the tool, and using it I've learned that some sights just fit a lot tighter than others, and you won't know how tight yours are until you're deep into it. That's why using a punch and hammer is kind of hit or miss. Depending on individual skill at such things, I'm sure it works for some guys sometimes, but a lot of times they're just too tight to do it that way without messing up the new sight before you realize you're not going to get it in there.

The plastic Glock sight will push out really easy, but don't take that as any indicator of how hard the metal one will be to drive in.

It's worth paying a few bucks to have it pushed in, but only if the guy has a really good, rigid tool for doing it, like the one from MGW. The one Glock sells, in spite of being more expensive, is only strong enough to use on Glock plastic sights, and there are a lot of other flimsy ones out there that will not work well either. A bad sight tool can ding up your stuff just as easily as a hammer & punch can.

8. hk_shootr

hk_shootr NRA Life member

PDblue........where are you located?
    I would be willing to bet there is a member close to you that would be willing to help you out.

9. VOLGRAD

VOLGRAD

You can gently tap it out/in with a hammer and nylon punch. It's not a big deal.

I suggest Ameriglo NS. They are my favorites and I've tried just about everything.

10. pdblue

pdblue

I am just outside of Lubbock, TX

11. AH.74

AH.74

I recently picked up a 26 and it so happened that my regular gunsmith was out of town for a weekend. Two other guys tried to put the rear sight in, one with a nylon punch and hammer, the other I'm not sure how, and neither could do it.

I had to wait for my regular guy to get back so he could do it with the proper tool. It was so tight a fit that the others ended up not wanting to do any damage and giving up.

This was with a set of Ameriglo classics.

12. cpelliott

cpelliott

It was easy. I stopped by Glock in Smyrna one morning. It took them 30 minutes and cost around $60.

13. cole

cole Millennium Member

I prefer not to hit nightsights with a punch/dowel. Me, I'd find someone with a sight pusher.

14. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Never tried Trijicons or Meprolights, but pushed a TruGlo TFO into my G17 last week with a pusher from Brownells. There would be NO WAY WHATSOEVER to knock those in with a hammer and nylon or wooden dowel or punch.

Yes, Glock's plastic sights give you false confidence when removing them. Steel vs. steel is something else.

15. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

I agree... I have installed quite a few sets of night sights for myself and others using the dead blow hammer and derlin punch method. One thing, I alwways check is the prefit of the sight into the dove tail. If I cannot get at least 1/2 of the sight in with moderate hand pressure. I take a file to it and relieve it till I can. Then driving it home with the punch and hammer is much much easier. Now most will say doing so that is is loose, well my answer to that is either, well what is the set screw for on the Warren or Henie or dawson sights... as for the others Trijicon, Ameriglo, etc. if you had to relieve them and are really paranoid that they are loose... a drop of loctite seeped into the dovetail and cured will take care of it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  16. THE_PUNISHER

THE_PUNISHER

If you were in sw MO, I would hook you up! I finally bought the MGW tool and it makes a huge difference!

17. jhands

jhands

I was in the same boat not too long ago with a beat up G30 I bought. I wanted to put some NS on it, and didn't care too much about refinishing the slide because of the holster wear or anything - it has CHARACTER.

What the others have mentioned is true. You can send your slide to Glock and they will install Glock NS for 59 dollars plus tax in your area, free return shipping. However, they quote a turn around time of around 4 weeks. I sent my slide to Glockmeister and had meprolights installed. They are 72 dollars, plus return shipping. I paid a premium not only because of glockmeisters quick turn around, but I wanted to try the yellow rear and green front combo. I must say, the contrast of having semi different colored sights really helps line things up in low to no light conditions. Hope this helps, cheers!

18. pangloss9

pangloss9

The first gun I tried was before I had my sight pusher. I got them one-third of the way on and they got stuck. Gunsmith finished the job for $20. The second gun I tried was after I bought my sight pusher, and took me about an hour. Knowing how tight the fit can be, I'd be very very hesitant to try again without a sight pusher.

19. aglockworkorange

aglockworkorange

did you order online? my local gun store puts them on for nothing.. even if you bought them from someone else, i'll bet your local shop would still put them on for nothing if you're a good customer, or $10-$15 if not..

i would not attempt without the proper tool.