GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I was recently gifted a Gen 2 Glock 21 and I wanted to change out the sights to some night sights, I ordered the TFX Pro's and when I installed the front I noticed that it's slanted to the left. The problem is there's no room for any adjustment because the fit in the oblong hole is really tight so once it's in there's no wiggle at all, so it's slanted with or without the hex screw being screwed in. I'm just wondering if this is a normal thing or if I should go about trying to get them exchanged for another set. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

IMG_5140.jpg
IMG_5139.jpg
IMG_5138.jpg

·
Private side
11,407 Posts
Loosen it, hold it tight with pliers and tighten the screw.
ETA- if you take it all the way off, verify that the raises section that fits the sight hole in the slide isn’t at an angle to the rest of the sight. If it is, sight is faulty. Otherwise you either have room to move it or it’s slightly crooked in the hole.

Reactions: Lt. Donn

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,268 Posts
Installed many TruGlo sights on Glocks and have never seen a front sight that couldn't be moved to center - even without holding with pliers. Heck, I think @BamaTrooper even used my G30 with TruGlos at a GSSF match a few years back. But his shooting is questionable, at best! :animlol:eek:_O

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loosen it, hold it tight with pliers and tighten the screw.
ETA- if you take it all the way off, verify that the raises section that fits the sight hole in the slide isn’t at an angle to the rest of the sight. If it is, sight is faulty. Otherwise you either have room to move it or it’s slightly crooked in the hole.
Installed many TruGlo sights on Glocks and have never seen a front sight that couldn't be moved to center - even without holding with pliers. Heck, I think @BamaTrooper even used my G30 with TruGlos at a GSSF match a few years back. But his shooting is questionable, at best! :animlol:eek:_O

Thanks guys, I’m currently at a bbq I will try this when I get home and provide updates

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I was recently gifted a Gen 2 Glock 21 and I wanted to change out the sights to some night sights, I ordered the TFX Pro's and when I installed the front I noticed that it's slanted to the left. The problem is there's no room for any adjustment because the fit in the oblong hole is really tight so once it's in there's no wiggle at all, so it's slanted with or without the hex screw being screwed in. I'm just wondering if this is a normal thing or if I should go about trying to get them exchanged for another set. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 825504 View attachment 825506 View attachment 825508
Was the sight you took out crooked?
Check the hole to see if someone used Loctite and it dried crooked.
Loosen the sight and push with your thumb which should straighten it, then retighten.
Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was the sight you took out crooked?
Check the hole to see if someone used Loctite and it dried crooked.
Loosen the sight and push with your thumb which should straighten it, then retighten.
Good Luck
There was no loctite around the hole as the original sight is one of those push in types that you can remove with just pliers. It basically hadn't been touched in 25+ years. I went ahead and cleaned the surrounding area with clp and also cleaned the hole with clp and a qtip before trying to install the sight. I'm hoping I was just being a weakling and there is actually a little room for adjustment, I'll find out once I'm home. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so I tried everything, either I'm doing something so wrong that I need to check my IQ, or something ain't right lol. I'm gonna try to show you guys what's happening with a video after these pics.

Here you can see the screw isn't in and the fit is tight enough that there's no room for adjustment
IMG_5150.jpg

Here you can see that there isn't a gap on either side, it's pretty flush
IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

It's slanted enough that you can slightly see the right sidewall when looking straight down

IMG_5155.jpg

Here are the vids, youtube was being a pain in the ass so I had to upload it to streamable, apologies in advance. Keep in mind, both of these videos are without the screw in, literally just pushed into the hole.

In this first one you can see what's happening, I have the sight aligned straight, at least what my eyes see as straight, and as soon as it goes into the hole it slants left with no room for adjustment

https://streamable.com/bxmole

This next video is just me trying to adjust it with my fingers, using a decent amount of pressure. I'm just not using pliers because I don't want to break anything in case I need to exchange them. If I'm not using enough force or doing something wrong please tell me!

https://streamable.com/po9965

Basically, as soon as it goes in that hole it's crooked no matter what I do.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Does the hole in the slide look crooked?

also if you look at the sight you should be able to tell if it’s machined wrong. If it’s the sight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the hole in the slide look crooked?

also if you look at the sight you should be able to tell if it’s machined wrong. If it’s the sight.
I honestly can't tell for the life of me, I took some pictures of both the slide and the bottom of the sight.

IMG_5198.jpg

IMG_5199.jpg

IMG_5202.jpg

IMG_5203.jpg

·
Registered
270 Posts
This has happened to me more times than not when replacing Glock sights. This is not an unusual occurrence in the least and there is a very simple solution. I know it doesn't look like it, but there is enough slop in the fit to allow for adjustment. Don't loosen the sight. Adjust the jaws of an adjustable wrench to fit the sight, then twist the sight to make it square to the slide. I would not use pliers, as pliers could mar the sights. Once adjusted... it will stay put.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This has happened to me more times than not when replacing Glock sights. This is not an unusual occurrence in the least and there is a very simple solution. I know it doesn't look like it, but there is enough slop in the fit to allow for adjustment. Don't loosen the sight. Adjust the jaws of an adjustable wrench to fit the sight, then twist the sight to make it square to the slide. I would not use pliers, as pliers could mar the sights. Once adjusted... it will stay put.
I will try this tomorrow, but I'm not sure if there is any slop in these at all, I have to slightly tap them out with a punch every time I take them off because they're in so tight. I hope you're right though! Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
19,973 Posts
This happens everytime I've installed sights. I just use a pair of needle nose pliers, hold the sight straight and tighten it down

Reactions: FullClip

·
Registered
19,973 Posts
Definitely gonna try this tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks!
I usually just put electrical tape on the plier jaws. No scratching the sights that way

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I usually just put electrical tape on the plier jaws. No scratching the sights that way
I got the masking tape and electrical tape ready! I was just hesitant to force it too much in fear of breaking the damn thing lol

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
The hole in the slide does look crooked from the inside pic, can't really tell from the outside pic. The protrusion on the sight that fits into the hole in the slide doesn't look crooked.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The hole in the slide does look crooked from the inside pic, can't really tell from the outside pic. The protrusion on the sight that fits into the hole in the slide doesn't look crooked.
Ugh that's literally my only fear with the whole thing lol I mean I could always file down the right side of the insert on the sight a little bit if it comes to that. We'll see how the plier method works. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts