Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just want to get some suggestions - as I'm going to have to change (unless you have some better ideas) my house gun out soon.

A little background:

My wife and I are expecting our first child (a son) VERY soon, which will probably lead to my changing out my house gun at some point.

I'm a gun person - basically familiar with a wide range of platforms and have been shooting (including quite a bit of competitive shooting) since about age 5 (so 25 years). My wife is new(er) to guns, and does shoot with me a few times a year. She is comfortable with guns and a fairly skilled shooter in general, but I wouldn't call her an enthusiast by any means.

I'm a long time shotgun guy- meaning that I shoot an ton of sporting clays and do a lot of bird hunting - but really only shoot handguns about once a month. Because of this, my house gun is currently a field grade pump gun that I don't have any other use for but isn't really worth enough to bother to sell it (hence I don't mind leaving it out of the safe) - it's a Moss. 835 24" with 6 rounds of Rem. Managed Recoil OOBuck in it (kept chambered - I HATE it when people talk about the rack of a pump scaring someone out of the house...the first sound that gives up my element of surprise is going to be much louder).

With a little guy on the way, I have to (at some point in the next year or so after he gets mobile) make a change to something more secure then a cocked and locked 12ga laying under the bed.

I'm thinking about doing one of the easy access handgun safes for the bed room. This would be nice, as I could also toss my CCDW gun in there at night.

What are people liking in a full size handgun, preferably with a rail to add a light? What light do you guys like? Since my wife does shoot, but will never be one to go shoot weekly, I'd rather do something more fool proof, meaning avoiding an external safety.

My initial thoughts go to perhaps keeping it REALLY simple and putting one of my full sized 357's in there (leaning towards a 6" Colt King Cobra stainless) with 125grn Speer GD and not worrying about the light. Sure it's only 6 rounds before a slow reload, but it's a pretty good six, and since I'd be keeping my carry gun in there at night too, there would often be either a G27 or LCP in there as a secondary.

There is some appeal to a higher cap. semi auto though - what are your thoughts?

·
Banned
3,031 Posts
Get an eight shot 357. Too heavy to carry around but I think it is a perfect house gun. No magazine spring to get tired, no safety to forget about when you are rapidly awaken to life and death situation and eight shots will fool anybody trying to count your shots to six if they see revolver in your hands.

Eight shot S&W is pricey but eight shot Taurus is half that price. I have Taurus and it seems to work just fine when I take it out to shoot.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just another possible option:

Keep the shotgun and lock it in the closet if it has a solid door. Or, buy a cabinet/armoire that matches your furniture and locks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I want to keep a shotgun 'outside' of the safe as well and I have two kids under 5 years old. I recently came across this product and am planning on ordering one in the next couple of months: http://www.shotlock.com/

Another GT'er let us know that Costco.com has them at the best price he could find. Like I said, I don't own one yet, so I am can't speak of the quality of the unit.

Also a much less expensive option is the Loc Box from Mossberg found on their website under the acc. tab "firearm saftey and security". I hope this helps and let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have a low cost idea for you: Hang your .357 revolver in a shoulder rig on a hangar in your closet among your clothing. Out of reach for toddlers and quick access.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I have a low cost idea for you: Hang your .357 revolver in a shoulder rig on a hangar in your closet among your clothing. Out of reach for toddlers and quick access.
Sorry, Range Rat, but I have to disagree with this method of "securing" a loaded handgun. I have been rather amazed by the ability of toddlers to climb. IMO, the only sure way to prevent children from gaining access is to lock the thing up. A handgun box with programmable pushbutton lock mechanism provides both security and reasonably quick access.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Sorry, Range Rat, but I have to disagree with this method of "securing" a loaded handgun. I have been rather amazed by the ability of toddlers to climb. IMO, the only sure way to prevent children from gaining access is to lock the thing up. A handgun box with programmable pushbutton lock mechanism provides both security and reasonably quick access.
My thoughts exactly, and I have a 14 mo old. I use a Ft Knox pistol box with a simplex pushbutton lock mechanism, with a G23.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I do have a Gun Vault mini-valut that my father-in-law gave me for Christmas this year (we have a tendency to trade gun-related stuff every year, as no one else in the family will get us that type of stuff :) ) , so I'll probably eventually put something in that.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Glock in your caliber of choice with a light attached in one of those bedside quick access safes.

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
I'd consider three main things: ease of training and shootability for your wife, ease of properly securing the firearm when stored yet realistic ability to get to the firearm if needed and lastly hearing damage that the three of you will undoubtedly get if the firearm is shot indoors without hearing protection.

Your current method is unacceptable unless you have an alarm system and even then it's not something I would do but you're an adult and from what I gather, not the dumbest guy to own a firearm. Get a lockbox close to the bed and use it.

Your wife could easliy be trained for a worst case senario with 100 rds. and a sunny afternoon. If you want her to be proficient, more time and ammo will be required.

Now you have to think about hearing damage. To me that rules out a 357 magnum for your primary HD weapon. I'd look at a large, heavy 45, 40 or 9mm and use sub sonic ammo. A handgun is a good idea since at least one of you may have to carry or hold your child while defending your castle.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your current method is unacceptable unless you have an alarm system

I guess I have to ask - why is that? I'm assuming you are talking about at the current time, as the alarm issue wouldn't be a factor in keeping a toddler safe in the house.

Honestly, if theft is the issue, from a possession standpoint I don't care to lose my current HD gun. From a getting more guns on/off the street standpoint...come on...I live in Kentucky. There isn't a man/woman/child that doesn't have access to as many guns as they want. My tv could be converted into a couple of guns of this class within an hour by anyone that wanted to do so, and I don't keep it locked up.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
for me it's a g30sf with a rail and a tlr1s. 11 rds of 45 and light when i want it. i love it when people talk about giving up your position with a light. my home is only so big. at 2 in morning most intruders know you're in the bedroom which is easy to determine in my home. i'm not an operator on a battlefield. not really worried about giving my position away. i changed from a 1911 on the nitestand for a couple of reasons. for 2 seconds after i wake up i don't know who i am and 3 more rds. like a revolver, i just have to identify friend or foe (lite) and pull the trigger (G30sf).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Get a nice Glock 17 or 19.
Just do not chamber a round.
There is not a little kid in the world that can rack the slide.
also when I bought my first gun the store owner told me to take the
gun home and let the kids touch it and hold. It takes the mystery out of it.
If you try and sneak it into the house the kids will spend their childhood
looking for it. that's how they get hurt.
My kids never messed with my guns.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would go with a platform similar to your carry gun. In a stressfull situation such as home invasion, you probably will revert to muscle memory. If you carry a semi like a G27 or LCP, you might get a little jammed up trying to reload a large frame revolver. That being said, I would go with a G23 or G22. This would give you the same manual of arms and the same ammo as your carry gun.

If you have your heart set on a .357, I would recommend a S&W 586 or 686 if you are looking at a large frame .357. They have a smooth trigger and are very solidly built.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would go with a platform similar to your carry gun. In a stressfull situation such as home invasion, you probably will revert to muscle memory. If you carry a semi like a G27 or LCP, you might get a little jammed up trying to reload a large frame revolver. That being said, I would go with a G23 or G22. This would give you the same manual of arms and the same ammo as your carry gun.

If you have your heart set on a .357, I would recommend a S&W 586 or 686 if you are looking at a large frame .357. They have a smooth trigger and are very solidly built.

I'm not as worried about myself as my wife. I grew up shooting...a lot. And still shoot very often. While not a combat/defensive shooting aficionado, I have many hours doing more than punching paper (lots of hunting and competitive shooting) and generally have a gun on me (LCP is riding on my ankle at the office today).

My wife on the other hand can shoot the heck out of her little Buckmark, and will also shoot my larger framed guns with lighter loads (like 357's with .38's or my larger steel framed autos like the BHP). My worry isn't about her being able to shoot, it's about her under stress having to remember something like an external safety or reload... as I know she has no interest in REALLY putting in the training time. Sure she MIGHT, and probably would, remember these things...but I don't like probably.

·
Registered
625 Posts
.357 sounds good. My primary house gun is a full-size Springer 1911. I chose it over the Glocks because even though it has less rounds in the mag, it has better night sites (practice clearing the house in the dark) and it's heavy enough that it makes a better club. Backed up with several loaded mags, I feel good relying on it.

Whatever you choose, please make sure it's stored in an easy-access safe. I've discovered on my own that kids will get into places that you never dreamed. There are no safe hiding places to put an unsecured firearm. I have several Gun Vaults and have found them to be a good solution.

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
Correct.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I agree with what you guys are saying - I'm no kid expert, but I am of an age range where lots of friends have young kids.

I'm not worried about my kid at age 4+ really, it's when he is like 2-3 that I worry.

I think older kids aren't as much if a concern if they are familiar with guns and know the safety protocols.

I grew up in a rural area where my grandfather (who lived next door) and I spent our days in the woods hunting and fishing - and always had guns around. I started with toy guns in the woods with him (him having a real gun) as soon as I could walk, then by about age 4 progressed to air rifles, then on to my own real guns by 5. By about 7 I was allowed to take my rifles out in the woods alone. By about 10, I often packed a handgun in the woods.

I was reloading (unsupervised) my own pistol and shotgun ammo by age 12. In fact, I was the only one reloading in the immediate family, I have one uncle who got me started and learned the rest from books (this was pre-internet).

My dad is also a former Army DI, and although he didn't have much time to hang out in the woods during my youth, he did teach me a healthy dose of gun safety. My brother and I knew where the unloaded guns were, and that the Security Six in the bed room drawer was indeed loaded. We also knew we could shoot any of the guns anytime we wanted to, as long as we talked to dad first - but were to leave them alone otherwise (this was for 'his' guns, we started getting 'our' guns at about age 7 - which we had full access to.)

·
Registered
625 Posts
...I'm not worried about my kid at age 4+ really, it's when he is like 2-3 that I worry.
Still worry after 4. I assume that they'll have friends over? Don't assume that the friends are trained/savvy/intelligent/etc... I know folks in their 70's that I'd never leave around an unsecured firearm.

·
Prime Example
4,913 Posts
I too have children...a 2.5 year old and 3 month old.

I keep a bedside pistol (M&P 9 with TLR2) in a cheap locking guncase, soon to be replaced by a GunVault. Pistol is also my daily carry, so it's always condition 1. However, it is not my primary HD.

My AR is my primary HD gun. It sits in a case in my closet, unloaded, no mag. I keep the mag in the same case as my pistol.

If need be, the plan is to quicky get the pistol, grab the AR mag and get to the closet to make ready the AR. May sound like a chore/takes some time, but it's not. I can perform it quicky, even in the dark.

Yeah, bad guy is probably going to hear me load and chamber the AR. It is what it is. I'd rather face a threat with 30 rounds rifle than 17 of pistol, and this is the best method for me, of keeping little hands safe should he snoop into the closet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts