Changing law

Discussion in 'GATE NFA/Class III' started by Chainlink, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Chainlink

Chainlink

I realize changing laws takes more than writing a congressman or senator. I live in a state that allows CC and Class 3 weapons but does not allow suppressors. I have no idea the route to follow to start a move to change this law or one like it. Here we have what many consider very relaxed laws, but I want to suppress my hobby in decibels not laws.

Recently many shooting ranges here have been under attack even though they have been there for years. It seems a few transplants bought or built homes near them even though they knew before hand about the noise. Now in their opinion it would be prudent to get rid of them. I have watched my state start aligning themselves with a lot of California's ways of thinking. Things like this are signs of a slippery slope I would like to see go the other direction.

Signing petitions are fine but then what? I really don't know how to start or which direction to attack first. But I believe changing the direction or at very least drawing a line in the sand for them to concentrate on would negate the antis of gaining ground in other places. But of course my true goal is to be able to obtain a suppressor legally.

Thanks

2. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner Millennium Member

This is a political strategy question kind of out of the scope of NFA law.. however, my own personal opinion is that it might be approached as a almost "freebie" bill for the pro-gun crowd if the legislature and governor were receptive to the idea. I don't know that a big PR campaign would be the best way to do it. Maybe piggy-back it on something related- that seems to work for the other side.

3. Chainlink

Chainlink

I didn't really see myself going into an all in out battle so to speak. But since I had posed the question I have gotten a little data and a few ideas to further my cause. I need a lot more data ie:crime, taxes,..... to go to the table with a solid argument in favor for. I will post my progress and such as I go along.