close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Changing Insurance - Concerns?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by J_Rico, Jun 19, 2012.

1. J_Rico

J_Rico

Howdy,
    About to change auto insurance companies for the first time in 22 years. Anything of which I need to be aware or special concerns?

Asking the insurance company the same thing, but what say you guys?

Going to make sure that insurance #2 is in place before canceling number #1, but what else should I be watching?

2. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Avoid that Mayhem guy.

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I assume you brought in your current insurance policy to "new" place and compared them side by side?

Just because both have a "200k/400k" limits does NOT mean they would pay the same.
    Uninsured/underinsured levels? limits on driver?

Some basic questions I would check. Does it cover me when driving a rental, does it cover any driver using my car (with my permission), Even if that driver is not lic? (I had a guy work for me who's car was broke down. So I got him one day. He needed to go home for noon for some reason and asked if he could take extra car. For some reason I took him home, said take rest of day off. Later I found out his lic was suspended. I checked my insurance WOULD still cover me if he got into accident. (as I was NOT informed) Course he might lie.....
    Check medical levels, point of replacement/repair, OEM parts or bone yard...
    Some perks I like. 14 day on any car/truck I buy. I sign check/I have insurance.

4. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

That you should re-shop insurance every two to three years. You will likely discover that you have been overpaying for quite awhile.

Don't put to much faith in what your agent tells you (unless you lucked out and have one of the few good ones). I personally wouldn't have mentioned it to them until I had a better quote in hand and wanted to see if they could beat it.

Excellent. My only other advice is to remember that these guys work for you. It's ok to insist that you get the most for your money.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012