Changing Careers...Maybe...Inevitable...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GlockTitan, Oct 22, 2010.

1. GlockTitan

GlockTitan

So..I have almost 22 years of military service. I can technically stay for 26..The chances of being promoted to Master Sergeant this year are zero. I declined being considered for a number of reasons, 1) I've been looked at the past three years and have not been selected, neither here nor there. 2) I'm not willing to possibly get selected/promoted and incur all the additional service obligations to see retired pay benefits.
    I've done all the necesarry paperwork to voluntarily retire. I'm sitting on the fence. One day I'm all for it, the next day I'm doubtful and all the pesemistic, negative, doomsday type scenarios start running through my head. Bills/House payment/Food on table/Insurance/etc etc.
    The military is like a big security blanket and I'm having a hard time letting go. I know it involves change, and change makes us uncomfortable. Worries about uncertainty I think are normal also. But man, how do you get over some of these hurdles. I'm pretty confident of landing a job should I choose to get out, I've spoken with a Manager at a logistics company and told me they want me...But what if?????? The what if's are kicking my backside.
    Staying "in" is easier, but I really want to seperate. I find it scarey, and I don't scare easily.....Sometimes life can suck...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. ede

ede

for me changing jobs and locations is part of what i do. can't say i really like it, but don't hate it either, it's all part of my job. to me it'd be great to retire and go to work again setting myself up for a second retirement income. i'd also think getting out would allow you a wider degree of choices and opportunities. good luck with whatever you decide and thanks and congrats on 22 years of service.

3. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

I can understand your reluctance to change. I am in the middle of changing career also. Of utmost consideration: the civilian job marker blows. It will take several years to get the wind back into it. In four or five years things will be more in your favor.

4. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

THANK YOU for your service.

I don't know what it's like in your area, but it looks bleak around here. I would not want to try to enter the job market right now. I have 17yrs at my current position and I worry that I might get "downsized" in this economy. People are being let go all the time. Some are newbies. Others are long time employees and their departments/responsibilities are being split up between other managers.

I guess I am no help.

Good luck,
    FB

5. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Tough call, I even extended a year while figuring out where I was going to move to. The way I see it is if you don't have a strong lead on private employment I would extend until you did. At least you will be doing what you know while you look.

If/when you find employment and your date comes up just go turn in your gear and clear post. It's hard to explain the feeling. It took me about six months to figure out I was really out. Good luck.

6. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

As I was reading your thread, I was going to recommend you find a job before you pull the string in this economy, but you've already done that. The what if's won't go away if you stay another 4 years, but you'll be 4 years older without any different experience.

I'd recommend you talk to that manager and discuss when would be a good time for you to start at that company.

"A job in the non-military world: Be all you can be, so Obama can tax your ass, too"

Good luck.

7. c6601a

c6601a

I would stay in. Here's my reasoning:

The economy is tough and jobs are hard to find. You say have landed a job, but have you? Do you have a written offer? Can they back out between now and when you show up freshly unemployed, looking to start so you can get your first paycheck? What if this company goes under or you do not work out in that job? Will you be able to find another job? What kind of a job? How quickly?

Bottom line is that unless you have some unusual guarantees that go with this job, I would not quit a guaranteed job to jump into the uncertainty of this job market.

It is my opinion that in 4 years either things will be a lot better and a job easier to find or they will be a lot worse and you would be happy to be in the military even if they demoted you a rank or two.

8. outd00rs

outd00rs

What is it that they say? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! From my experience over the past 3 or 4 years it's a mess out here.

I've never been in the military and can't really relate to the stability of it, but one thing I can promise you is that stability and known quantities can be worth their weight in gold.

If you are responsible for supporting a wife and children the pressure of making sure you have a paycheck can be pretty big.

I got laid off 2 summers ago and the stress level was unbelievable. Obviously different people handle things in different ways. I was able to get back on my feet pretty quickly and didn't cause any financial harm, but the seed was planted.

There is always that thought about "what if" I get the next pink slip.....

I'm not saying that to scare you, but 4 years ago I would never have thought about something like that.

9. SheepleNoMore

SheepleNoMore

You have a complicated decision to make. Lot's of factors that you need to assign weight and value to.

Just a few of the things to consider.
    Take home income.
    Security of civilian job.
    Work hours.
    Job satisfaction.
    Job challenge.
    How much of civilian pay are you willing to put into 401K?
    You won't need medical insurance, but will have the option.
    Your civilian co-workers won't get orders in a year or two. You will have to work with them for many years.
    What is your military retirement option plan? If a variation of high three or last three, stay to get full benefit of your current rank.

If you opted out of testing, you more than likely damaged your future promotion chances.

There are probably more than a hundred other things to consider also.

10. DennisP

DennisP

Here is a thought, get out and use the new GI Bill and go to school for something that intrest you. The new G.I. Bill is fantastic (10X better then when I got out and went to college) and you could most likely be very comfortable going to school with the GI Bill and your retirement.

Something to think about.

Dennis P.

11. GlockTitan

GlockTitan

I haven't pulled the string yet. The retirement paperwork is still sitting on my desk. Weighing all the pro's and con's, and taking in everyone's opinion. Thank you for your advice.

12. GlockTitan

GlockTitan

Exactly. Responsible for a wife and kids. I don't worry about "me", I worry about my family. I don't want to cause them any unnecesarry hardships due to "me" making a bad decision. I am the person that they rely upon, and I don't want to fail them........Alot of sleepless nights lately.. My wife tells me, "you have to make the decision, I can only support you in what you decide".

I always tell my Soldiers...If you have to think about doing something twice, it's most likely not a good decision.....Maybe I need to start following my own advice.
    :dunno:

13. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

We get a LOT of military folks over in the LE world. I'd guess that damn near half the folks in my 400+ man agency have military service of some type. One of my buddies did 20+ years active duty USAF, before coming to us. My uncle retired as a chief from active duty USN prior to becoming a deputy sheriff. If you're interested in that line of work, most agencies love military folks.

14. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

The choice to retire or ETS is hard to make. It won't come any easier four years from now.

It seems to me you passed up promotion because you are ready to move on. If that's the case there's no reason to kick the canteen cup further down the road. If you have an employment offer in writing I'd take it, no reason to prolong the inevitable.

Best of luck.

15. RichJ

RichJ

Problem is, a degree doesn't mean squat right now in this job market. When you get it you will then own an expensive piece of paper and zero experience to attach to it. Meanwhile there will be hundreds of newly laid-off people with managment level experience who will be applying for the same job you are.

My advice is to stay where you are and enjoy a guarenteed paycheck. Whatever you do, don't make a decision until after the first of the year when you know how the Nov. election results are going to play out and how all the new 2011 taxes are going to affect the econmomy.

16. chris in va

chris in va

You're in high demand right now, believe it or not. Get your ducks in a row, talk with employers and you'll find the transition to civilian life will go a lot smoother if you have a job already lined up. Understand you'll probably be making 3-4 times as much as you are right now.

There are also groups dedicated to help with military/civilian transition fears, might want to look into those.

17. texasglong

texasglong NRA Life Member

Some things for you to consider:
    80% of the jobs created in the US in the last few years have been in Texas.
    You will have retirement from the Military plus the GI bill. A lot of options there.
    As far as a career goes, a three legged chair stands alone, all else falls. This means you shouldn't just have retirement and a job, you should have retirement job and something else. You may consider getting a Real estate license, a small side business(tax breaks) or a part time job.
    It is not like you will be pennyless, you will have the retirement from the military. You have a lot of choices that you can make.
    If you are ready for a change, go for it. The world awaits.

18. dp509

dp509 2009 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

This.

Will you be in a part of the country that you and the wife will be happy to live in.........If you got this job, and were laid off....Is the economy good there and would you be able to easily acquire another job.....PRAY ON IT AND MAKE A INFORMED DECISION....

My .02 :wavey:

19. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

You don't get your degree for today. . . You get it for tomorrow. . .

You don't wait till the job market is booming again and then say "maybe I should get a degree". I just started a MBA program this year. It will take me another 3 years to finish. Hopefully by then the employment outlook will be better.

Another option is to stay in the military WHILE working on your degree. many schools have accredited programs that are 100% on-line with flexible schedules. (City U of Seattle for example)