Changing BCG

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Reb 56, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Reb 56

Reb 56

If I wanted to change my BCG to say a BCM would I need to have it head spaced or would it be a drop in part? Also any advantage to getting a chrome plated carrier and bolt?

2. vettely

vettely

I recently changed a barrel and did some research on this. Bottom line is that the manufacturer of your barrel should build it with proper head space. So, to answer your question the new BCG should be a drop in change but it is not a bad idea to check the headspace with a proper Go/No go gauge in either .226 or 5.56.
    IMHO a chrome bolt is not really woth the extra $$. I would like to have a Robar NP3 coated BCG or the Fail Safe but they are kinda pricey.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010

3. thisaway

thisaway

BCM offers their BCGs with "Ionbond" coating, which basically does the same thing chrome-plating does---makes the bolt easier to clean and aids lubricity.

4. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

This is correct.

It should drop in, but it can never hurt to use a go/no go gauge.

5. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Dropping a new bolt in on an used barrel is almost always good to go, but like the others have said, the gauges will give you some peace of mind.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  6. Reb 56

Reb 56

Thanks for the helpfull tips think I'll go with the BCM bcg. Probably get a go-no go gauge just to be sure.

7. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

BCM is excellent.

8. wmcco-5

wmcco-5

Recently R&R'd a RRA BCG w/ a BCM (auto) on a rifle with less than 1 m down the tube. Matched up perfectly. If you don't have gauges let me recommend the (real deal) GI field no-go gauge. It's FAR easier to use and does the job! It's so quick you can check every gun at the range for excessive (dangerous) headspace in 3 minutes or less...i.e. 15 seconds each.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  9. smokin762

smokin762

Where did you get your GI field no-go gauge? I don't think I have ever seen them before. It sounds like something I would be interested in getting. Just to have.:whistling:

10. wmcco-5

wmcco-5

Here you go; http://www.billricca.com/collectors_corner.htm. Scroll down to the M16 maximum headspace gauge, about 1/3 of the way down the page. It's really not needed in this day and time but for that extra "warm and fuzzy" feeling, everyone should have one in their range bag.
    It sounds expensive until you see how well made it is, (machined steel), and how easy it works. It's a bargain!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  11. smokin762

smokin762

Thank you!:wavey:

12. furioso2112

furioso2112

I have no experience with BCM's IonBond BCG (I have an IonBond-finished barrel, though, and can say that the finish has a really nice appearance, if that matters - very uniform in application and color).

I do have a Young Mfg National Match Heavy chrome BCG, though, and to me, it has paid for itself in time cleaning after just a few cleanings. Granted, many recommend that it is unnecessary to clean a bolt tail to like-new after each shooting, but I like to clean my entire BCG to new-looking at least every thousand rounds or so. The chrome bolt is FAR easier to clean than the other standard bolts that I have used. WELL worth the extra money to me.

I am not opposed to a BCM IonBond BCG - if it cleans up as easily, I'd happily run one in a gun. Kind of depends what your non-essential preferences are.

13. wmcco-5

wmcco-5

Just a footnote to my earlier post: The BCM BCG is most excellent!!!