GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lean & Mean
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Guys,
just looking for a feedback. I have a Ruger P94 in 9mm that is using a non captive recoil spring guide (older model). Excellent pistol and I have some spare parts for it. Problem is that I may need a new recoil guide and thinking about ordering a replacement, custom made, steel rod from the local machining shop. The original part was aluminum and (along with the recoil springs) is literally impossible to find. I was told that the springs from P89 work great, but I still need a spare guide. Do you think it would be fine to use the steel to manufacture the part instead? Or should I order an aluminum replacement? Aluminum used by Ruger seems to be soft (I've already polished it once as it was all scuffed) and I am afraid it's going to crack or bent eventually. P94 is an aluminum frame pistol, but the guide rod locks to the steel on both ends (barrel and frame). Thank you for your answer. Cheers!

·
Lean & Mean
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go for the steel.
That's what I was thinking. Since it is a small custom made part I may as well do it right and fix the cost saving measure. Frame doesn't take much beating since the guide rides between the bottom of the barrel and slide anyway...

·
MacGyver
7,005 Posts
Guide rods don't do anything except hold the spring together and make it easier to put the spring in when assembling it. It is a low energy part. Glock guys focus needless attention on it.
Unlikely for your aluminum rod to "break" sufficiently to need a spare.
Ruger can't supply a replacement part? If not then your choice is limited if you are determined to have one.

Reactions: Nestor

·
Lean & Mean
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why did Ruger use aluminum to begin with? I'd stay with it.
Probably to save money. Older models all had steel guide rods are far as I know.

·
Lean & Mean
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guide rods don't do anything except hold the spring together and make it easier to put the spring in when assembling it. It is a low energy part. Glock guys focus needless attention on it.
Unlikely for your aluminum rod to "break" sufficiently to need a spare.
Ruger can't supply a replacement part? If not then your choice is limited if you are determined to have one.
Ruger do not carry parts for P94 any longer.

·
Lean & Mean
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The steel rod will do no harm. I put Lone Wolf stainless steel rods in my Glocks and I'm happy with them.
Thanks. I think that's what I'll go with. Should be good enough for many, many years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts