close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Changing a Glock Recoil Spring

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by lbritt, Jan 29, 2005.

1. lbritt

lbritt

If you purchase a new recoil spring, say for a G17, does the spring come captured in a new guide rod or is it just the spring by itself. If it is by itself how do you remove the old spring without damageing the plastic guide rod?

Thanks

lbritt

2. bigtinva

bigtinva Megalomaniac

If you purchase stock Glock parts, the guide rod and spring come as one assembly.

3. lbritt

lbritt

Does Glock offer complete recoil spring assemblies in the 11, 13, and 15 pound springs. I have seen those springs for sale on other web sites but they are described and pictured as just the spring and not the guide rod.

Thanks

4. bigtinva

bigtinva Megalomaniac

I believe what you are seeing on those sites are aftermarket guide rods with either captured or non-captured springs. Those guide rods will have the optional spring rates that you mentioned. I dont think you can get different spring rates on stock Glock guide rods.

5. lbritt

lbritt

Thank You.......

6. MarinePride

MarinePride

I recently replaced the recoil spring in my Glock 23 with a Wolff 18 lb. spring. All I did to make it work, while retaining the stock plastic guide rod, was pry the old spring off and put the new one from Wolff on. Of course now the recoil spring is not captured, but it is now brand new and ready for a few thousand rounds of use. I put 50 rounds through it today and no problems. I might also add that when you buy a Wolff recoil spring they also include a firing pin spring. I put that in also, figured it couldn't hurt. When I ordered the recoil spring I thought it would be a captured one, but what am I going to do, but make it work;b