close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Changed my props

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Geko45, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Boat props that is (not airplane props).

Some may remember my boat thread a couple/three weeks ago. Well, I bought it with bad props as that was part of the reason why I got such a good deal on it. The seller had gotten a quote for $900 to swap them out which would have involved pulling it out of the water and trailering it to them (in a trailer I don't have yet).

So, I put my wrenching skills to work. Ordered new props online for $500 and swapped them out today while the boat was still in the water. My boat uses dual counter rotating props so there are no torque effects to make the boat favor turning to one side. Makes for a smooth ride, but a bit more of a pain to replace. Also cleaned the air filter, put on a new alternator belt and adjusted the carb idle setting. Significant improvement!

Here are the old props. Yep, pretty danged shot!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  2. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Have you checked the zinc anodes as well? That first prop looks a bit corroded.

3. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Looks like the props from the low waters here in Lake Travis.:rofl:

4. Adjuster

Adjuster

I changed my props many times under water with mask and snorkel. Pretty easy once you get a system down. I only had one prop but could change it out in 5 minutes. I kept spinning hubs is why I changed it so often.

/

5. Geko45

It took me a bit longer as this was my first time doing it, but I stayed completely dry! Legs a bit cramped from leaning over the swim deck, that's all. I can't believe they were gonna pay about $400 in labor to have it done for them!?

6. Geko45

My dad used to be in charge of policing Lake Travis back when he was with Travis County Sheriff's Dept.

7. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Bent airplane props can be quite pricey ... (Don't ask how I know.... :frown:

8. Geko45

Ughh! I feel for ya! The thought of nosing over one day sometimes keeps me up at nights.

:shocked:

9. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Wuz an 'occupational hazard' operating at some of the rough fields I used to base at ! ...

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

That guy drive around Lake ShallowandGravel a lot? Wow. I think I worry too much about caring for my boat.

11. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Once upon a time, we were water skiing in Lake Waco (a friends boat). The best skier amongst us was out there doing his thing.

We were blasting along the MIDDLE OF THE LAKE at a pretty good clip when the motor BOOMED up out of the water and almost did a backflip into the boat.

The skier immediately let go of the rope, and the driver shut down the motor.

The skier gradually came to a standing stop, took his skis off, and walked to the boat in ankle deep water.

12. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

I'm not a boat person, but couldn't having a prop that out of balance damage shaft bearings?

13. Geko45

Almost certainly if not promptly addressed. I've only taken her out so far on low RPMs. Today was the first day I got to run her at wide open throttle. Got up to about 40mph on a short stretch. On a calmer day, I might be able to get her up to 45mph or so.

14. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I'm not a boat person either, I'm a decent mechanic and a decent machinist. Considering that those props are the only thing supplying all the thrust for the boat to move through the water, and the bearings are stout enough to handle that amount of force for a significant amount of time without failure...........

I would think that the load on the bearings from an out-of-balance prop, while not an ideal situation, pales in comparison to the load generated by just working exactly as designed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  15. Adjuster

Adjuster

Outdrives and lower units is the part that a prop attaches to below or behind the motor. They are actually very resilient and durable as long as you keep lube in them, water out of the lube and don't strike any solid objects. Almost all pleasure boat props these days come with a rubber hub or some other type of break away hub so that if you do strike something it will tear up the prop but not the drive system.

/

16. Whiskey Six

Whiskey Six Marine 0369 Platinum Member

I grew up on Lake of the Ozarks. Hitting partially submerged driftwood was a regular occurance. Did not make my Mom happy when it happened.

17. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

guessing you noticed how the vibration went away after getting rid of those 2 paperweights.:whistling:

18. Geko45

Oh heck ya! Smooth as silk!

19. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

You can have those rebuilt for alot less then the price of new ones. You can have them change the pitch to give you more of a hole shot if you pull skiers.

20. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Typically just a damaged prop like shown won't hurt anything if the operater knows somethings up and limps back to the dock, but a prop that is severely out of balance prop (like a partial or whole blade missing) can really wreck a gearcase if the operatoer doesn't bring the rpm's and load way down.. I've been into fishing and racing boats my whole life and have seen most everything that can go wrong from the flywheel down...

Last year during a drag race I saw a suddenly damaged prop immediately break the propshaft which immediately slung the revvs up which threw a rod out of the block that broke a fuel line, fire, damages cowl, broken exhaust housing, gearcase housing, etc... Literally ruined the whole engine minus the clamp bracket that bolts to the hull, but even that got tossed out due to concerns of hidden damage from the instantly insane vibration... Granted, that is worst case scenario of a maximum output competition boat that I threw in for conversation...