Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to update my address on my CHP for $10 under the new law, as I had to go to the circuit court anyway for work. When I went to pick up my "re-issued" permit, I looked it over to make sure everything was correct.

My name, address, description, etc. were all correct, but the date of issue and expiration had shifted - the "re-issued" permit expired in 2013 (instead of 2010 as it should have, as my last one that I was merely "updating" was issued in 2005). I politely pointed this error out to the deputy clerk, who immediately realized the problem. She and the other deputy clerk conferred, apologized profusely, and said they'd take care of it and call me when it was corrected. I told them I'd be happy to take the extra 3 years for free, but if it wasn't updated in "the system," it might cause me some problems in 2011 if I were ever stopped by the police.

The lesson here is that if you take advantage of the address change provision, make sure that they keep the original expiration so you don't end up expired by accident.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a question on the new change of address provision.....

My permit was issued by the clerk in Arlington. I have since moved to Alexandria. Will the Arlington Clerk change my permit to my new Alexandria address? The last time I investigated this (prior to the new change of address provision) I was told that Arlington can not issue a permit with an Alexandria address. I was told that the address would be updated in the system and that when I go to re-apply I will apply through Alexandria.

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a question on the new change of address provision.....

My permit was issued by the clerk in Arlington. I have since moved to Alexandria. Will the Arlington Clerk change my permit to my new Alexandria address? The last time I investigated this (prior to the new change of address provision) I was told that Arlington can not issue a permit with an Alexandria address. I was told that the address would be updated in the system and that when I go to re-apply I will apply through Alexandria.
I was in the same boat because I now live in a neighboring jurisdiction and it was not an issue.

I can't tell you for sure whether the Arlington Clerk will do it, but s/he is supposed to under the new language added to 18.2-308 and effective July 1. The statute is now very clear that the court that issued the permit is the one that you go to for a change of address, and there is no reason why they can't reissue it with your correct address in Alexandria. All they are really doing is printing a new card and updating your file.

The person you spoke with is correct in that when you go to actually renew the permit, you would go to Alexandria assuming you still live there when it comes time to renew. What we're talking about is just a change in address, not a renewal.

Just to emphasize, you are NOT required to update your permit address - only your driver's license or state ID that you carry with it. Updating the permit itself is optional.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was in the same boat because I now live in a neighboring jurisdiction and it was not an issue.

I can't tell you for sure whether the Arlington Clerk will do it, but s/he is supposed to under the new language added to 18.2-308 and effective July 1. The statute is now very clear that the court that issued the permit is the one that you go to for a change of address, and there is no reason why they can't reissue it with your correct address in Alexandria. All they are really doing is printing a new card and updating your file.

The person you spoke with is correct in that when you go to actually renew the permit, you would go to Alexandria assuming you still live there when it comes time to renew. What we're talking about is just a change in address, not a renewal.

Just to emphasize, you are NOT required to update your permit address - only your driver's license or state ID that you carry with it. Updating the permit itself is optional.
Thanks. Called and they told me for $10 they would change it. Looks like I will be heading over there on Friday. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use my permit as my 2nd proof of address when they run a NICS check. I suspect you may have problems with this if the address on you permit is different than the one on your DL.

·
Scallywag
103 Posts
I use my permit as my 2nd proof of address when they run a NICS check. I suspect you may have problems with this if the address on you permit is different than the one on your DL.
Erm, if you've got a permit there is no NICS check.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is up here in the Virginia. Or I should say at least I get charged $2 or so for one each time I buy something. Hey, at least we don't have to get the sheriff's permission to make the purchase (yet).

·
NRA Member
30 Posts
There is a NICS check even if you have a permit. I still get put on hold with my permit.

·
Salty Collar
985 Posts
If I am moving from Hampton to VB should I go ahead and get the address changed? I am military so my DL is a different address and state.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts