close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

chambering weapon through the slide

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MarccraM, Feb 27, 2010.

1. MarccraM

MarccraM

I'm sure this has been addressed at some point, however I couldn't find anything on it.

Was at the range with a buddy and he would always load a mag.. Pull the slide back drop one in the barrel through the slide let it go and then insert the mag.

I said wow I don't know how great it is to chamber your gun that way.. He said he had done it that way for over 2 decades so he was happy to continue..

I honestly don't know... Is that an acceptable way to get the first round in?:dunno:

2. garand4life

garand4life

I tried that for a G23 a lodged the round in the barrel. I had to use a cleaning rod to remove it. That is a lot of stress on the extractor. Wonder how many he's replaced.

3. raven11

raven11

it might break the extractor because the extractor has to "jump" over the rim

4. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Truth ^

It is bad juju. It will damage the gun (on most guns). Some guns are designed (inadvertently) so that it won't harm them as much. In these guns, the extractor is built slightly differently.

The proper method is to load your magazine. Insert magazine into gun. Rack the slide; remove magazine, then top off magazine. Lastly reinserting the fully loaded magazine into the loaded gun.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  5. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

In some cases you can get away with it, but in some guns you may break or chip the extractor. I always chamber from the magazine and then top off the magazine if I want that extra shot.

6. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

The only time I do this is with snap caps during dry fire practice. I assume (hopefully correctly:whistling:) that the aluminum rim is soft enough to not damage the extractor.

7. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

No. Load one off the mag.

8. RickD6023

RickD6023

The generally accepted means to get one in the pipe with a full mag is to insert a mag with at least one round loaded, strip one round off the top by racking the slide, remove the mag, top it off and re-insert.

During GSSF, IDPA, and USPSA competitions I use a stripper mag.

9. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

If your buddy has a Beretta 92FS/M9, it's fine, they are made to do that. Anything else and he's asking for a chipped extractor claw.

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

Makarovs can handle it, too...in fact they are made for it.