close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chambered round?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Doughnutman_923, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923 Blessed Are The Peacemakers

Okay, so I FINALLY got some carry ammo. (after months and months of not having any quality ammo)

-Hornady Critical Defense 165grain :supergrin:

How do you guys keep from using the SAME round as the chambered round?

The case rim gets chewed up pretty quick with the safety checks after carrying and dry-fire practice and cleaning and what-not. :upeyes:

Any suggestions or practices?

2. yellowhand

yellowhand

Chambering the round and then leaving it, except to slighty pull back slide, and see the back of the case when I pick it up to leave the house, that way, it does not get slammed/loaded as many times over the course of a year or so that I leave mine loaded with same ammo.
    I use reloads for most of my carry ammo.
    When I run a batch, I'll take a round and load and reload it it into the weapon and check for set back. This gives me a starting point for concern, say four loading before it sets back below minimum.

3. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

I load my carry gun from the magazine and the only time I unload it is at the range or to clean the gun which usually follows the range trip,some times that is done while at the range.
    I know I have loaded my gun and don't feel the need to check to make sure it hasn't unloaded it's self with out my knowledge. SJ 40

4. mingaa

mingaa

What he said.

5. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923 Blessed Are The Peacemakers

:thumbsup:

Wish I got free carry ammo outside of work. lol

6. Gnflorida

Gnflorida

I always flick a few rounds out and switch em around, but mostly I just leave one chambered.

7. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

When I RE-chamber my defense ammo, I always ease it back into the chamber from the magazine. Totally goes against the sling shot racking the slide method, but it saves it from major setback issues.

8. dmdmx2

dmdmx2

Yellowhand, because of all the liberal B.S., you should always use factory ammo for self defense. Because if you ever had to use it, the handloads would just be another negative factor the grand jury would look at. Plus when you get sued in civil court it is just another strike against you with an anti-gun jury. This is what I was taught in my concealed weapons course. Just trying to look out for you!

9. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

dmdmx2 is right as we all know. Use factory ammo for carry and reloads for practice.

10. ak103k

ak103k

This is a perfect reason to get an exact duplicate of what you carry. :)

You load one, and put it in your holster and leave it loaded. You use the second gun for dry fire and general "empty" practice.

When you go to the range, you shoot the gun in the holster in practice (including the round that was chambered). When you leave, you top off the mag that was in the first gun with a fresh round, load the second gun, and it goes in your holster, the first gun gets cleaned, and the cycle begins all over.

11. Chowser

Chowser

our dept. mandates we carry their supplied ammo in our off duty weapons.
    :supergrin:

like someone else said, once i load my gun, it's loaded. if i really want to check, i'll look at the LCI. if i don't trust the lci, i'll do the press check.

12. Genin

Genin 19k & 11b

Here's what I do, which may help you. I keep my round chambered at all times unless I am going to do some dry firing, cleaning the gun, etc. At that point I eject the round and using a sharpie make a single dash on the brass. Before I put the round back into the top of the mag to be chambered again I check to make sure there isn't any set back. Any round that has been re-chambered 3 times (3 dashes from the sharpie) gets put in a seperate box to be fired next time at the range and a new fresh round is added to the mag. Kind of OCD/anal but hey it works for me.

13. DocWills

DocWills

Use the same round, hand chamber and stop fooling with it when its loaded so much.

6 months or 3 rechamberings off a magazine is about right.

Max I would run the chambered round out of a mag is due to setback.

More than 6 months on the same round you run a risk of oil intrusion on the primer.

14. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

This is a great practice as setback does happen with repeated chambering.

The OP could also use the highly effective LCI extractor on his Glock to see that there is a round in the chamber by sight or feel without retracting the slide.

15. JBnTX

JBnTX

Can anyone cite a case where a person was convicted on the fact that he used reloaded ammo in a shooting?

16. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

Good question. I wonder if it has ever happenned anywhere? :upeyes:

17. DocWills

DocWills

Factory ammo is preferable due to the civil phase of the trial not the criminal. No criminal issue as far as I have found over the years.

It would be an issue in civil, have no doubt.

18. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

I'm another fan of the loaded chamber indicator... It was put there for a reason :)

19. oldman11

oldman11

Good question, I would like to hear the answer to that also.

20. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Setback won't occur if you: (1) Hand load a round into the chamber. (2) Gently lower the slide until it touches the cartridge's head. (3) Turn the pistol's muzzle up at a 45 degree angle. (4) Slowly pull the slide to the rear while turning the opposite side of the slide towards the floor. (5) The cartridge will slowly slip out of the chamber until it reaches the point where its rim slips underneath the extractor claw. (6) Then just let the slide go; and the cartridge will be correctly inserted into the chamber. Sounds complicated, but once you learn, 'the drill', it's easy. Using this method you'll never cause a bullet to setback.

NOTE: Mas Ayoob has done, at least, one article on the subject of using reloaded self-defense ammo. As usual there were no surprises; and he recommends against using your own reloads for self-defense. Exactly, 'Why' escapes me? I dismissed the article, then; and I continue to do so.

Legal Problems With Reloaded Ammo

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012