close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chamber wear?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MN-glock27, Apr 23, 2012.

1. MN-glock27

MN-glock27

Let me start off by saying that I have a Gen4 G23 with a little over 2600 rounds through it. All of those rounds have been brass cased except the last 100 rounds which were Tula ammo. I have have never noticed any chamber wear until I was cleaning my gun this morning after using the steel cased ammo yesterday. Just want to make sure that it's nothing to worry about...

Crappy pictures but it was the best I could do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One part of the chamber shows more wear than the pictures indicate but I couldn't get a good picture of it.
    Thanks

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I've only ever used brass cased ammo in my barrels, the two test-fire spent casings that came with each were aluminum case. Neither of my barrels have those markings in the chamber.

3. MN-glock27

MN-glock27

I never noticed the markings before using the steel cased ammo either, and I pretty much always look through the barrel after cleaning it and definitely would have noticed the wear marks before. It appears that the finish has completely worn away down to the bare metal when looking at it.

4. Wizz

Wizz

I use a ton of steel case with no problems on any of my firearms, I wouldn't worry about it. Definitely don't go replacing the barrel which would be a waste of money. hth

5. MN-glock27

MN-glock27

Have you noticed any similar wear? I just find it odd that after the one time I used steel cased ammo there was noticeable wear.

6. Wizz

Wizz

My chambers have thousands of rounds through them so all the chambers are shiny from wear. Could of been some fine grit in the chamber or shavings of some sort. It just looks like initial wear and after another thousand or two rounds it (the chamber) will probably look different again. hth

7. DocWills

DocWills

Steel will wear a chamber more than brass. However, I would not worry. If you are, fire a brass cased round and look at it. If theres any wear the brasswill show you.

8. PM720

PM720

Its kind of hard to tell from these pics but are you sure this is wear and not deposits from what I would think would be the softer steel cases? Just thinking out loud so to speak.

Scott

9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Get yourself a tube of Flitz Metal Polish. (Don't worry; it won't harm your barrel in any way.) Apply the Flitz to a phosphor-bronze brush and scrub the barrel. All the way through, and all the way back again. After a number of passes that steel case lube will come off. Then, don't use crappy Russian pistol ammo again.

10. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

I think Arc Angel may be on to something,most steel cased ammo has a lacquer or polymer coating on them to prevent corrosion. Possibly leaving some of it in your chamber,clean chamber well . SJ 40

11. MN-glock27

MN-glock27

Yes, I am sure. That's originally what I thought it was as well, but I spent a good amount of time cleaning the barrel just to make sure. I know it's hard to tell from the pictures but looking at it right in front me you can definitely tell it's the finish that has worn away.

12. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

With the ammo used and for the time period involved that's, like, nearly impossible! Lots of barrel crud looks like pitting or wear. (Until it comes off.) 5 will get you 10 you're simply not using, either, the correct procedure or the right chemicals to properly clean the barrel.

Have you tried, 'Donkey Gun Scrubber' yet? You just apply it, leave it sit overnight, and then get up in the morning, and scrub your donkey off. ;)

13. ijacek

ijacek

Considering that the "Jack" bottle is almost empty, those pictures look pretty good. :supergrin:

14. MN-glock27

MN-glock27

I used Hoppes #9 and let it sit for an hour or two, along with numerous passes with a bronze brush and bore snake and haven't noticed any change.

ETA: Going to go to the local hardware store and pick up some of that metal polish you recommended and see if that helps. The more I read about chamber wear after steel cased ammo the more I think you're right. Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  15. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Mysterious, 'double-tap'!

(Good for post count.) :supergrin:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  16. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

You're welcome! Hoppe's #9 wouldn't help get rid of that stuff. Maybe if you let it soak for 24 hours; but who wants to soak a barrel in a mild acidic solution for all that time? The other thing you can try is an overnight soak in Break-Free CLP. That works too; only, in my opinion, not quite as well as the Flitz. For the past 4 or 5 years I've been doing all of my initial barrel cleaning with Flitz Metal Polish. It's harmless to metal and really gets at surface corrosion and oxidation.

(Perhaps I should, also, tell you to start wrapping your cotton patches around the brush head while you're cleaning.) ;)