Chamber the same round

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by biscotrip, Mar 28, 2012.

1. biscotrip

biscotrip

Is it bad to chamber the same round?

example: Every time I go out carrying I chamber a round (obviously) and when I get home I clear it and replace the round (pdx1) back in the magazine.

Is this bad to do? The bullet looks fine and such

2. barth

barth

You risk bullet set back with lots re-chambering the same round.
    I would recommend rotating the rounds you chamber.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

3. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

Why clear it at all? Kids at home or other safety reasons? If at all possible, just leave it chambered. Then no problems worrying about setback, etc. and you KNOW it's loaded if needed. And less handling a loaded (or is it unloaded? :wow: ) weapon. Accidents DO happen.... :shocked:

JUST BE CAREFUL AND REMEMBER IT IS LOADED!

4. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

I asked Mas Ayoob about the issue in the self defense forum. His feeling was maybe 2 or 3 chamberings before the round goes into the pile for range use.

I have seen some ammo becomes deformed after rechambering a couple times. Another, more significant issue, is that the bullet may become seated deeper into the case. This can have catastrophic consequences since the pressure goes up dramatically and may cause the case to fail. A failed case can cause the case to split, leaving part stuck in the chamber, it can cause the barrel to fail or bulge, it can cause the frame to blow out or it can cause a combination of these and other failures.

One additional issue with rechambering I have read about but not confirmed is that it can cause some primer material to flake off and make the primer fail. I do not know if this is true or not, but it seems possible to me.

If I am working in an environment where I must frequently load and unload, I opt to carry a revolver and a few speed loaders. The other option is to be prepared to use up expensive defense ammo quicker and chamber maybe 2 times before it goes into the pile for range use.

5. 257 roberts

257 roberts

agreed, I don't have kids at home and my guns stay loaded

6. fredj338

fredj338

Just depends on the gun & ammo. Some guns & calibers & manuf are worse than others about setback. The best thing to do is compare chambered rounds w/ factory new. If they are 1/16" longer, range box or pull em down, pressure are going to be going way up beyond that.

7. Breadman03

Breadman03

On my XD in .357 Sig, I can only do it once or twice before I can measure setback, and about 4 times until it is apparent with a quick visual (how I first noticed it). I have decided my Glock 26 can chamber a 9mm an unlimited number of times without issue. I measured the top round periodically without any change, so I just rotate it into the shoot pile when I feel like it.

8. dkf

dkf

I try not to chamber more than 2 times. If you keep an eye on setback by measuring the overall length when new and before putting the round back in the magazine you can tell if you have setback.

I tested some of my .357sig reloads with XTP bullets and chambered them 8 times and got roughly .001" setback after 8 chamberings which is basically nothing and not an issue. Speer Gold Dots on other hand can setback more than .010" after two chamberings.

I keep my gun loaded all the time and have it on my person the majority of the day whether at home or away. A pistol without a round in the chamber is basically worthless.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  9. The Pirate

The Pirate Grandmaaaaaaa!!!!!!

I see no reason to unload at home, put it in a safe or out of reach when children are around.
    As far as setback goes, the only thing I have ever had much trouble with is 357 sig for some reason.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. biscotrip

biscotrip

I have a Glock 23. After reading the posts I changed my rounds. Had 180gr PDX1 now 180gr Gold Dots.

11. fredj338

fredj338

A setback of 0.010" is nothing to be concerned about, even for the 357sig. When you push 0.050" & beyond, things start changing quickly.
    I wouldn't say a gun w/o a round chambered is worthless, takes less than 1sec to charge the slide, slower yes, worthless no. Few gunfights are won on a quickdraw, very few.:whistling:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  12. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Did you mean .01" ???

13. fredj338

fredj338

Oops, typo! Yes @ 0.050", pressures start climbing rapidly in all service volume rounds. The smaller the volume & faster the powder, the higher the pressures.

14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I never rechamber a round in my carry gun. I leave it loaded and ready. If a small child in the house is a concern place the gun up high or some where holsterd where than cannot reach it. Also weakens mag springs jacking rounds in and out all the time. ;)

Good luck

CM

15. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

I've shared this a couple times, but when not at the range,I keep my G27 loaded with JHP ammo.

But before I go out shooting, I drop my SD mag, and load up with FMJ range ammo, leaving one HP in the chamber and firing it first at the range.

(of course, at SOME point, I run a box or two of new SD rounds through the gun all at one range session to make sure it's working well)

This way:
    1. I slowly rotate my SD ammo.
    2. I avoid bullet setback
    3. Over time, I assure myself that my SD ammo still functions OK in my gun

This way:

16. Inebriated

Inebriated

This is a really good plan... I usually leave my handguns full mag/empty chamber (can't carry yet, and use a shotgun for the house, so no reason to go Condition 1 now), but since my CCW is around the corner, this sounds like the best plan.

17. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

I've found the same with my G26 and Speer GD 124gr. Mostly it lives chambered, but I've repeatedly checked ejected rounds with my reloading calipers and have yet to see any setback.

18. nelsone

nelsone rank amateur

I've read that the all-copper bullets are the ones most likely to suffer setback (for a given caliber).

19. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

20. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

OWWWWWTCH! What happened to 2 & 3?