Challenger, go at throttle up.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by G19Tony, Jan 28, 2020.

1. J_Rico

J_Rico

byf43, n2g and flyover like this.
  2. Z71bill

Z71bill

It has been a long time - my memory may be off -

But IIRC some engineers warned about the o-ring issue - but were ignored / over ruled -

It would cost too much to fix it and that would embarrass a few people -

Did any of the people that over road safety of the crew ever get punished?

More likely promoted.

3. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I was working the shuttle program at that time, and the word came at work, and stunned all of us ... We gathered around TVs while the networks had really no useful news on it ...
    In the aftermath, I recorded every video of every network of every camera angle trying to figure it out .. The official report would be waaaay downstream ... :sad:

I didn't figure out the 'O' ring until the news came out on that, but I did figure out it was all over when the strut failed, let the rocket pivot into the top of the main tank, crushing it and liberating the liquid oxygen into the burning slipstream of the leak of fuel from the main tank. There was a brilliant yellow flash and 'that was all she wrote' ... :crying:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    pjanthony and byf43 like this.
  4. Cmacc

Cmacc

5. 1L26

1L26

Heartbreaking!

The Challenger happened on a very good friend's birthday. Then Columbia happened on mine!

May God rest their Souls.

aircarver likes this.
  6. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

The leadership culture was as much to blame as the o-ring. RIP.

7. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

I was sitting in 11th grade English class hard to believe its been 34 years

pjanthony likes this.
  8. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Doing a paint job in the basement of St. Patrick’s Church when the crew got the news.

FullClip likes this.
  9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Just got done at my girlfriends house and was driving back home when I hear it on the radio...

FullClip likes this.
  10. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

^^^This!
    I have a copy and read the entire Rogers Commission report on the Challenger accident back in the day. It is available on line at:
    https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/outreach/SignificantIncidents/assets/rogers_commission_report.pdf

The report cites earlier shuttle flights that experienced partial burn-through of the O-rings, and nothing was done about it. The commission's finding start on page 76 of the report.

byf43 likes this.
  11. teeceetx

teeceetx

I was in my company cafeteria getting an early lunch, and the server asked if I had heard the news. I had not. But the news spread, and the remainder of the day was rather somber. I'll never forget it, and I'll never forget that this was a preventable event. No one was held accountable.

12. Lazy R

Lazy R

Walked into a furniture store in Columbia Falls, MT to do some business. All the TV's were on and showing it. I turned around and saw the thing blowing up. Took me a minute to process what was happening......yep the thing actually blew up.

As I remember the brass was warned plenty about the danger of the O rings with the cold temperatures they were having, but they pushed the launch anyway.

pjanthony and flyover like this.
  13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

flyover likes this.
  14. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Apollo. IF memory serves me, it was called "Apollo 1B" at the time. 100% oxygen atmosphere. Shortcuts and short circuit. (Include design flaw where main hatch seals from inside and due-to- pressure, would NEVER allow the hatch to be opened when fire started.)

Challenger. Management. Defective seals. Cold weather.

Columbia. Ice. Management. (I also believe that the crew should have been told that there was damage on lift-off.

I truly believe that all of these deaths could have been prevented.

pjanthony likes this.
  15. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

I was in England coming back to the dorms from campus when it took place. Took the Leytonstone Shuttle, which, as always, was late, overcrowded, and slow.

Got to the gatehouse/mailroom, in the pouring rain. The older gentleman attending, inquired as to the Shuttle, or what I'd heard of it. He had a brutal cockney accent, and his age and dental condition didn't help with his enunciation. So, I thought he was commenting on the Leytonstone bus, with which we were all familiar.

"Same as always," I said, or something to that effect.
    "What?" the fellow seemed greatly surprised.
    "What do you mean? It happens all the time." Being late, I meant.
    "it does?" he appeared to be in shock.
    "Yeah, same as last week."
    He looked at me like I had two heads. We went back and forth, talking past each other for another 30 seconds or so, before I wandered off, slightly confused.

In retrospect, had it not been such a terrible tragedy, our little back & forth would have made a pretty good Monty Python skit.

I got back to the dorm and they were all watching replays of the disaster on the telly. Just awful.

16. norton

norton

We insured a metal heat treating plant in Indy. After one of the shuttle disasters-either this one or the one that followed-I did a routine walk through of the plant for insurance purposes. They had heat treated a few parts on the shuttle that exploded. The owner told me the day after the disaster he got a call from NASA. They were sending engineers to review his data, what work he did on the parts and his equipment. Owner was sweating bullets as the engineers did their on site review. He got a clean bill of health and was very relieved.

FullClip likes this.
  17. norton

norton

On the day of the Challenger disaster I was in Northern Indiana to perform a walk through inspection of a large Agricultural Fertilizer Chemical Dealer for insurance purposes. I heard about the disaster on my car radio, and when I went into the Dealers office/sales area they had it on TV. Needless to say we watched the coverage for a few minutes.

18. Mister Clean

Mister Clean

In the 1980's I was employed as an engineer while working for a Department of Defense contractor.

During the launch my entire team was huddled around a 28-inch television in our lunch room.

One of our heavily classified projects was in the payload section of the Challenger to be deployed during the mission. We watched in abject horror during the tragedy.

For the next hour (and into the rest of the day and the evening) the only thing that was broadcast on the major networks was the replay of the launch and the explosion. Over and over and over and over and over . . .

Then we went back to work to finish building the next "package".

G19Tony likes this.
  19. Rotn1

Rotn1

One of about 5 days I remember vividly.
    Still saddens me to this day.

byf43 likes this.
  20. Mister Clean

Mister Clean

From the History Channel website:

"Though popular wisdom about the 30-year-old tragedy holds that millions of people watched the Challenger’s horrific fate unfold live on television—in addition to the hundreds watching on the ground—the fact is that most people watched taped replays of the actual event. All major networks carrying the launch cut away when the shuttle broke apart, and the tragedy occurred at a time (11:39 a.m. Eastern Time on a Tuesday) when most people were in school or at work. CNN broadcast the launch in its entirety, but cable news was a relatively new phenomenon at the time, and even fewer people had satellite dishes. Though the general public may not have been watching live, NASA had arranged a satellite broadcast onto TV sets in many schools because of McAuliffe’s role in the mission, and many of the schoolchildren who watched remember the disaster as a pivotal moment in their childhoods."

My place of employment had a half dozen or more of those huge, 16-foot diameter(?), satellite dishes (with Andrew Corporation logos), pointed skyward adjacent to our building. We were able to watch CNN live back in the day. Those satellite dishes had other uses, too. Wink. Wink. Nudge. Nudge.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020