Glock Talk banner

CH54 enlisted pilot?

964 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Terry G
I met someone the other day who claims to have been a Marine staff sergeant pilot of a CH54 helicopter. He's about 50yo +/-, so this would probably be about 20-30 years ago.....

I didn't want to call him out for BS, but I've never heard of any recent enlisted rank pilots. (There were some in WW2, as I recall.)

So, how about it? Anyone here with Marine aviation experience who knows for sure?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7,190 Posts
Not a jarhead, but I did look at Google. He could have been a crew chief, but flight crew are officers. The Army uses the same basic structure/restrictions with regards to their chopper pilots, which I am familiar with. The Flight Officer Act of 1942 promoted enlisted pilots to warrant officers and in 1945 the existence of enlisted pilots was discontinued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hogship

· Stop the steal!
21,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a jarhead, but I did look at Google. He could have been a crew chief, but flight crew are officers. The Army uses the same basic structure/restrictions with regards to their chopper pilots, which I am familiar with. The Flight Officer Act of 1942 promoted enlisted pilots to warrant officers and in 1945 the existence of enlisted pilots was discontinued.

That's what I thought.

Actually, crew chiefs are considered flight crew, but pilots in USArmy aviation were all officers, or warrant officers. My experience with that is limited to 1967-70 active duty as a crew chief on a Huey helicopter.

Still hoping someone with direct experience with Marine aviation will eventually come along......

· Registered
7,190 Posts
That's what I thought.

Actually, crew chiefs are considered flight crew, but pilots in USArmy aviation were all officers, or warrant officers. My experience with that is limited to 1967-70 active duty as a crew chief on a Huey helicopter.

Still hoping someone with direct experience with Marine aviation will eventually come along......
I could have worded that better somehow, but you knew what I meant. My service time was ‘75-82, but I left the infantry, and 101’st AA in early ‘80. Hueys and Chinooks both.

I tried to get into Warrant Officer flight school, took the FAST II test and set new high scores. But I couldn’t get a waiver for being 6’7”. Par for the course for me.

· Registered
517 Posts
I met someone the other day who claims to have been a Marine staff sergeant pilot of a CH54 helicopter. He's about 50yo +/-, so this would probably be about 20-30 years ago.....

I didn't want to call him out for BS, but I've never heard of any recent enlisted rank pilots. (There were some in WW2, as I recall.)

So, how about it? Anyone here with Marine aviation experience who knows for sure?
I’m calling BS on this. There are no enlisted pilot of helicopters in any service. Take a good helicopter pilot with you and have him quiz him on the operation of one. He probably flew one on a video game once in his mother’s basement!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.