CFL Bulb caught lamp on fire in my daughter's bedroom 1:30am last night

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sdsnet, Feb 7, 2010.

1. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

My daughter woke up last night to a burning smell and woke everyone up. I ensured everyone got out of the house and started to investigate the source. The smoke alarms didn't go off and there was no smoke, only a burning smell. I thought the smell was coming from the attic which the ladder/door is above her doorway. I looked in the attic and because I didn't have my glasses on I thought it looked like the heater exhaust pipe had come undone from the heater box. I went back outside to check on everyone and got my glasses. I went back up the ladder and saw that what I thought was the open heater exhaust pipe was actually a black motor next to the heater pipe which was secured. At this point I saw smoke coming in the attic from my daughter's room doorway and the smoke detector went off. When I got down I looked in her room and found her desk lamp shade burning but no visible flames at that point. I unplugged the lamp and pulled it from the desk (not smart) and it landed on the carpet and burned a hole in it but the fire appeared to be out. I called 911 (should have done that first) and noticed the small basket on her desk was on fire with 1/4 inch flames. The outside of the basket wasn't hot yet so I carried it outside and placed it on the ground of our patio and stayed outside. The fire department arrived and sprayed some water on the carpet area and basket to make sure the embers were completely out. The fire department inspected the lamp and bulb and showed me where the electronics for the CFL appeared to have caused the fire.

We were very very fortunate. And Congress is making the entire country buy these things by 2014.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

I hate those things. I never ever leave a lamp on, always had a phobia of them. I'll leave outside lights and the bathroom light on for the dogs, that's it.

3. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

Glad everything turned out okay.

4. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Next thing you know they'll be shutting down the landfills for mercury contamination....

5. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Hey, the goverment knows what is best for us. We should just do what they say. We as a whole elected them to do so. Just get in line, and wait for instructions of what to do next. This is the posting while drunk forum right?

6. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I prefer incandescent but since my daughter likes a light on at night I figured a CFL would run cooler. That was a mistake.

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

That's scary.

I'm glad it wasn't worse.

8. G30SF/F-250

Thats what I meant to say!:embarassed:

9. milglock707

milglock707

Glad you are OK but I personally trust the CFLs over the incandescents any day because of the heat issue. I have had it happen twice with an incandescent where it started a small fire because some object came too close to them. However, the mercury in them might be an issue later on.

10. AA#5

AA#5

I had a similar experience with one of those bulbs a couple of years ago & THREW ALL THE REST AWAY!

Was the bulb installed in a device that had a dimmer switch? That's what the instructions on the package caution against. I started to smell burning plastic & called the fire department. I thought it was the TV. They checked all over the house & didn't find anything. Later, after they left, I noticed the lamp didn't work & saw the melted plastic. The lamp did have a dimmer switch but I didn't want to take chances with any other bulbs.

Ironically, I bought these bulbs because I thought they were safer because they run cooler than regular bulbs.

11. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

That is VERY scary. Was the lamp on?

12. Mellio

Mellio

I had an incident close to that but it didn't make it quite that far. I was in the house by my self and started to smell an electrical type fire. I was running around the house half panicked looking for the source of the smell. The smell was getting really strong and I truely thought my house was going to burn. I went to the electrical panel and killed the main breaker and continued to look for the source of the smell. I finally found a CFL in my bathroom that was starting to melt down. It was not nearly as far gone as yours was but if I wasn't at home who knows what might have happened. The shade is glass though so it may have just melted down without cathing anything else on fire but who knows. :dunno:

Glad everyone was OK and your house is still standing.

Maybe we should all remember to kill the main breaker first thing (after getting the family out) any time you smell anything getting hot in your home. Most fires are electrical and that could stop the short from getting hotter and actually going to flames.

13. G30SF/F-250

Good advice, I will put that in my memory bank. Good thinking!

14. RioKid

RioKid

Well darn it. I was planning on replacing incandescents with the CFL's as they burn out. :faint:

15. PA86

PA86

Can someone shed some light on this? (No pun intended).

I keep lots of reptiles... should I be stocking up on incandescents?

16. actionpup

actionpup Psycho Pup!

Bottom line is it can happen with nearly any light fixture and type of bulb. I have experienced multiple fires or near-fires with incandescent bulbs in lamps. I hope you report this to the manufacturer. If it happens enough with that particular model, perhaps a recall should be issued. I hope it was an isolated incident.

17. Just1More

Just1More

Never put a 100 watt bulb in a 60 watt rated lamp.

18. Nords

Nords

We had one of those start on fire at work in a ceiling tile. Luckily it didn't spread, but I'm still not very trusting of CFLs.

19. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Go to walmart.

Go to the lightbulb section.

Look for Decor LED Accent brand bulbs.

Stock number 2026LED-65K

Available in bright while (bluish) and warm yellow. These are going to put CFL out of business. Thank me later. 1.5 watts. Cool to the touch.

[​IMG]