close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CF card for my new XT

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Glkster19, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Glkster19

Glkster19

On POTN everybody has love/hate stories about which brand, which size, which speed that you just have to get/not get. I guess my 1st question since I'm an ebay junkie is have any of you bought cards off ebay. Seems from the POTN folks there are more scammers selling fake San Disk cards than there are selling legit San Disk cars.

Anybody using Pro Ridata cards? Most seem to like them.

For the XT users, how many photos can be stored on a 2GB, 4GB cards? I shoot everything in the highest quality setting.

Thanks

2. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Why buy from ebay and run the risk of getting a fake card? The risk seems to be very real, based on all the comments I have seen. Go to www.dealram.com to check out some of the latest prices from reputable vendors for various brand name cards. FWIW, I own and use CF cards from Crucial, SanDisk, Lexar, and Kingston, and all perform as exepcted.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I echo Fred. Stick to those cards and you shouldn't have any problems. In addition to the cards Fred mentioned, I have a Kodak that has never let me down.

I prefer 1 gig cards. I do not want all my images on one larger card because of the risk of loss if I loose the card or if it becomes corrupted for some reason.

I also have a couple 512 mb cards I picked up for $8 each last year that I always leave in my bag. I suggest you pick up a spare, whatever size you want is fine, but keep one in the bag at all times in case you forget your card and discover it when you are getting ready to shoot an hour away from anywhere that you could buy a card :rofl:

On an XT, shooting RAW on a 1 gig card I get around 72 images. The count starts at 72, but sometimes you get a few more or a few less than what it predicts depending on the shots' data. I think I used to get around 250 shooting large JPEG but I can't remember exactly now. I don't have any bigger cards so I can't help you there.

4. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

It boggles my mind to see those of us who were very adament about which film we used, try to save a few bucks on the cards for our multi-thousand dollar digital outfits.

no offense, :supergrin:

5. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Meat Popsicle

My 10 megapixel XTi, with a 2gig CF card, in it's lowest resolution setting can shoot 2704 pictures. It RAW (it's highest resolution setting), the card will hold 193 images.

I always shoot in RAW. I have three 2 gig CF cards, but I've never totally filled one. I came close, but switched cards before it filled totally so I wouldn't need to swap cards at a critical moment.

IMHO 2 gigabytes is "just right".

6. Glkster19

Glkster19

No offense taken, I was just asking if anybody has had problems other than with the San Disk on ebay. Like I said on POTN, I've had 3 diiferent brand name cards I've bought on ebay and all have performed superbly. I am taking everyone's advice here & at POTN and have been looking at B&H, Abe's, etc for new cards.

Aside from Crucial, the 3 others Fred listed are the one's I've been looking at along with the addition of Ridata, I think thats the name of it. Several people at POTN seem to talk real highly about that brand.

Thanks folks

7. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Lately, many online retailes are selling the Sandisk Ultra II 2gig for around $35-$40.

A while back fry's had the 2gig Sandisk for $35 shipped. I have two of the Sandisk and one A-Data 2gig I got off newegg.com. Lots of people on POTN will say that the RiData or A-Data or Patriot are just as good. I've never had my quit on me but if I'm shooting something important...I'll stick with the Sandisk Ultra.

Edit to add: Here's the one on amazon.com. $38. Good price.
    http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDCFH...397410?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1176654255&sr=1-11

8. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Cool. I wasn't directing my statement at you. I was referring to people I see on other forums that buy cards made from companys they've never heard of before. ;)

:supergrin: :supergrin:

9. Glkster19

Glkster19

Good price also? Extreme III for $46.42

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_i=B0001CNMFM

Edited to add: Did some shopping around and $46.42 for the San Disk Extreme III is a helluva price.............

...........so I ordered 1. Should be here about the same time as my camera.

10. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Yes very good price also and you might want to research a little b/c I could be wrong but I think the XT can only write up to speeds supported by the Ultra II...so you wouldn't see any difference in camera shooting. However the card will download faster IIRC as long as you have the requisite card reader to handle the speeds.

11. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Yes very good price also and you might want to research a little b/c I could be wrong but I think the XT can only write up to speeds supported by the Ultra II...so you wouldn't see any difference in camera shooting. However the card will download faster IIRC as long as you have the requisite card reader to handle the speeds.

12. Glkster19

Glkster19

Too late, see post above your last one :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

13. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

No biggie, only a few dollars difference. Look into the Sandisk Extreme reader or maybe a firewire reader. That SHOULD support the read speeds that the Extreme III has. Good luck and enjoy the Rebel...

14. Glkster19

Glkster19

I'm hoping to enjoy it. Wife has been saying I need a hobby other than golf since golf in MI is a part-time hobby. So I decided this is interesting. If I can take decent pics with a point and shoot then I've gotta be able to take better pics with a better camera, right. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

At least that's what the 2 new photography books I bought tell me.

15. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Did you get Understanding Exposure? That's the one most people seem to suggest if you're looking to use your camera beyond the "auto" mode.

16. Glkster19

Glkster19

Understanding Exposure was not 1 of them, however, you're about the 5th person that has recommended that book so it is on the short list of next purchases. One book was "The Joy of Digital Photography" and the other I can't remember the name of but I think the author was Scott Kelbe I think or something close.

17. Glkster19

Glkster19

Was just pointed out that Circuit City has them for $49.99 if you have any of them local to you.

18. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

REally don't matter what book you get, whatever is best to help you understand how aperture, shutterspeed and ISO will affect your shots. Not just for good shots when then you'll be able to get "creative" and play around with a real shallow depth of field for one shot while for another you might want everything in focus.

Any plans to upgrade the kit lens??

19. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

good point.

easy now, give him time to learn. :supergrin:

glockster19, don't get scared by all of the "the kit lens su***" hype.

it happens on the both the Canon and Nikon forums. these lenses aren't too bad, once you learn their sweet spot. which is usually between f7 and f11. :thumbsup:

20. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

I've taken some great shots with the kit lens when it was my only lens...but I realized how much can be done with the cheap 50 1.8 or my new Tamron 28-75 f2.8

I was just suggesting is all...we all know once you're bit by the bug you'll be hoarding lenses in no time.

Case in point...I started off with just the kit and now I've got 5 lenses including my prized 70-200 f2.8L :)