Glock Talk banner

Cera Coat and a glock

3525 Views 19 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Larry33kc
My wife's brother n law has gotten into the cera coat process. He said that he sand blast, strips the gun, and then bakes it in the oven. He wants to paint my G33. No way I will let him touch the plastic. What do you think about the slide. I carry the G33 a lot and the finish is worn. Is there any protective layer under the black that the sand blasting will remove. The worn appearance does not really bother me but would look cool painted. What do you think? Should I leave well enough alone/
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,842 Posts
I have 3 Glocks cerakoated and a fourth in the shop now. All of these have slides done only. Also had an H&K45c slide done and an FN45 done completely - frame and slide. My FN is on display on the website for the guy who does this work- Mod1 Firearms. Glock's tenifer coating is tough but the cerakoat is better in my opinion. It holds up extremely well and is much easier to clean internally and keep clean.

Attachments

· Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
32,590 Posts
I have 3 Glocks cerakoated and a fourth in the shop now. All of these have slides done only. Also had an H&K45c slide done and an FN45 done completely - frame and slide. My FN is on display on the website for the guy who does this work- Mod1 Firearms. Glock's tenifer coating is tough but the cerakoat is better in my opinion. It holds up extremely well and is much easier to clean internally and keep clean.
Tenifer is not the top finish you see. Tenifer is a metal treatment, a ferritic nitrocarburizing process, that treats the metal to an actual depth. Glock no longer uses Tenifer, but instead uses another type of ferritic nitrocarburizing metal treatment.

OP, if you have the slide Cera Coated, the metal treatment will remain, no worries there.

· Rimfire 1010101
1,912 Posts
I've had a couple Glocks Cerakoted.

My FDE Glock 22's slide is Cerakoted burnt bronze.

I had a Glock 26 Cerakoted, slide and frame.

I was concerned about the frame. The shop where I had the work done had several examples of polymer frames they've Cerakoted to prove they know what they are doing. The shop also guaranteed a replacement pistol if they screwed up the frame. I went for it and was pleased.

Would I let a novice Cerakote a polymer pistol frame? Heck no.

· Registered
4,651 Posts

· Registered
16,924 Posts
If he does a good job and you trust him why not? I have my BHP at the coater as I type this too it down last weekend he said give him a month and $100(probably $150 because he is replacing the rear site also) and it will be like a new gun...cant wait!

Should look something like this..imagine this but a Browning Hi Power :) with some fancy grips on it

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/...n-with-H146-Graphite-Black-and-H167-USMC-Red/

· Registered
9,061 Posts
Cerakote is a baked on paint finish that will not hurt your original gun. But it will look like crap when it starts to chip and wear off. Much worse than if you left the gun alone to begin with.

· 10mm Philosopher
6,634 Posts
* * * Glock's tenifer coating is tough but the cerakoat is better in my opinion. It holds up extremely well and is much easier to clean internally and keep clean.
After I tired of the monolithic factory color of my Glocks, I looked around at several coatings & metal re-finishing options that, aside from having an esthetic appeal, would still impart some practical benefit for the cost.

I initially considered hard chrome, but ultimately went with Robar's NP3 on the barrels, slides, and slide internals of my G20 and G29. The NP3 finish has an inherent lubricity to it, very slick to the touch, so using more than a drop of lubricant is unnecessary. Plus, post-shooting clean-up is a breeze since the powder and other gunk won't stick.

The ceracoat paints look nice, but that's also true of the NP3. Another option to consider.

Reactions: CBennett

· Registered
3,566 Posts
I had CCR do my G33's slide and barrel in CPII recently and I'm very impressed with the quality. I paid about $70 to have both done including shipping both ways. They run specials all the time and mine was a Father's Day deal.

· Just sayin'
4,682 Posts
I want my guns to have a factory black or blued finish. I like it plain Jane. Unless it is a stainless revolver. If I ever did an aftermarket finish I would go with a Robar coating.

· Registered
3,566 Posts
I prefer black too but my G33's slide was showing some wear. The CPII is supposidly very durable and the price was right. While I would have preferred black, the CPII is growing on me. They have a new 'dusk', darker color that I may try on another Glock later.

· Registered
624 Posts
>>I have 3 Glocks cerakoated and a fourth in the shop now.<<

Ok, so who should I be considering?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.