Century CETME, is there anything cool I can do with it?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by goodguyswear9, Apr 3, 2010.

1. goodguyswear9

goodguyswear9

I finally got a USP and now I want a rifle but don't have alot to spend. I've seen the Century CETME rifles for sale often for $500. Is that a good price for those? If so is it possible to put say this: http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1515&idcategory=8 on it to make it more authentic? I don't know anything about this stuff but I'm sure most of you. I know I have to keep the US made parts to a certain level. Also are the Century guns made from real G# surplus parts and which ones could I easily replace to make it less American Century junk? Thanks!

2. rtl

rtl Robby The Guy Millennium Member

no idea if you could add that, but it wouldnt be worth it in my opinion. the best thing you could is just find a good one with straight sights and no screws protruding into the bore.

3. rhino673

rhino673

I had one and wasn't impressed. I sold it and bought another ak.

4. goodguyswear9

goodguyswear9

HKparts has a nice PTR-made receiver for like $150 so I guess I could replace the Century one since I hear that is the worst thing about them; I'm interested in these since I can't afford a better G3 clone and I could slowly upgrade a Century using surplus or authenthic components.

5. Telecaster

Telecaster

My experience also. I bought one around 4 years ago. Sold it to a friend within a month. That thing has seen a half-dozen owners since then. I can't remembering it malfunctioning, but it was very inaccurate. I mean 12" groups at 100yds. I probably just had a lemon, or it was the ammo. I bought a case of some Australian surplus at the same time I purchased the rifle.

They do look cool though-
    [​IMG]

6. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

I had one of the Century CETMEs that was all camo.....Took a while to fix the sights and find the best ammo, Argentine or Portagese mil surplus 308 shot very well....got combat accuracy (about 2 inch groups at 100 yards) But the sights were a PITA! Scope mounts and such wasn't much better. I had bought it for $400.00(some years ago) had no problem selling it for 500.00 with included 10 mags.
    I didn't feel I could depend on the weapon. I already had a 308 bolt and a M1A....but I picked up a AR10A4.......now those are 308s you can depend on. I get sub MOA with all of them.

7. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Every one,I know, who has had one basically says they are NOT recommended. Your choice.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  8. ubersoldat

ubersoldat

Ive owned three, kept one. This one runs excellent, no issues at all.
    As for "not recomended" I dont know about that, GT seems to have alot of shooters who dont have smithing experience.
    (that and many here would shy away from this rifle yet think the wasr is a great gun )
    A x51 that is under $300 and needs some work to make them run like a top is always going to be a deal for me, but they arent for the new guys or those who dont like to get their hands dirty.
    The older ones that came in from century were pretty good, the later were, well, more works in progress. This one cost $259 from j/g where I could look at it first hand.

They are great guns when they are in good shape and function correctly. Best bet is to look at one first hand before buying to make sure it hasnt been destroyed on importation.
    As for accuracy, with milsurp I get 4-6@ 100, but with better ammo I get better groups of course. But what can one expect for a rifle that is 50/60s technology?
    Of course they arent my m1a, but then again, my m1a with glass cost over $3k...
    I dolled mine up with some HK stuff, and love to shoot it, really fun gun, but obviously not the best for ammo cost now, but Ill never sell it.
    [​IMG]

9. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

It is what it is, why are you making it something it isn't?

10. ubersoldat

ubersoldat

I just noticed the link with the HK trigger that he wants to put in the cetme, didnt even notice it before:faint:

So, why WOULD one want to replace one of the only parts on the cetme that doesnt have issues?

11. RS7

RS7

Every CETME I've ever handled has had a horrible trigger. I don't consider the CETME a quality rifle.

12. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

It is not even a trigger. It is a trigger housing.

13. smokin762

smokin762

If you have not bought one yet then I would not recommend that you do.

About 5 years ago, I bought a Century CETME. It would not keep a good group. I took it to a gunsmith and he told me the barrel was shot. He told me to get a new HK barrel from P.O.F. and he could put it on for me.

I decided not to put any more money into it, I figured I would sell it and buy a different one. The second one had a new barrel on it from Century. This one had chambering and ejection problems. I made another trip to the gunsmith and he said the chamber looked like it was machined with bad tooling.:upeyes:

I sold it and never attempted to buy another Century rifle. I should have just bought a PTR 91. They are at least a factory gun instead of a parts kit and I have heard good things about them.:crying:

14. amd65

amd65

My Century CETME has been trouble free, and is a real blast at the range. The trigger was fine, but I had Bill Springfield do a trigger job for the heck of it...now it's great.
    The barrel on mine was excellent...are you sure your gunsmith knows what a fluted chamber is?

15. goodguyswear9

goodguyswear9

Like I already said, I'm thinking about buying one and making it look like a G3 without spending 4k to get a real HK rifle.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  16. goodguyswear9

goodguyswear9

Most of the guys on HK Pro tell me to stay away from it too.

17. Adionik

Adionik

They "look" really cool...but as everyone is stating, they seem to be crappy.

18. smokin762

smokin762

Yes, the gunsmith I used knows what a fluted chamber should look like. Mine was an example of what they should not look like.

The gunsmith I have used is also a licensed builder. He built my L1A1 and a few other rifles that I have owned. They all have worked flawless. I used them at Bullet Fest without a hiccup. I take him the parts that I want to be used and he builds it.

This is just my opinion but I think you might be in the low percentage of people that just got lucky. From what I understand, Century Arms has a few different gunsmith that builds their guns and some are rather good at it but some my be new to the field and are still on the road of learning.:dunno:

19. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

The G-3 and CETME are two different guns. The CETME came first and then the Germans modified the design into the G-3. By trying to make it more "authentic", you're actually coming up with a hybrid.
    If you want a G-3 and don't want to pay $4k, get a PTR, although the PTR is still a departure from the G-3. Years ago when the PTR came out, the company used to list the differences between the PTR and the G-3. They called them improvements. If I recall correctly, one of the differences was in the fluting.
    Your second option for a G-3 is a Century G-3 (Century makes a G-3 and a CETME). I have had one for 6 years and it has yet to miss a beat. No jams, no FTF, no FTE, nothing. It has eaten everything I have fed it, including Pakistani ball, except for the ones with the primers sideways or backwards. Accuracy has been exceptional too.

[​IMG]

20. smokin762

smokin762

I would suggest saving your money to buy a nice rifle. It doesn't have to be a 4K rifle but a little extra money towards a rifle of better quality can bring a lot of happiness instead of misery.

I have been down the road of misery before by wanting to save a few bucks now and it ended up costing more money than what it was worth.

Keep resale value in mind. A quality rifle will also hold some resale value if you decide to sell it later because your taste has changed in what you like or you just want something different.

With a rifle that has questionable quality you can lose your butt on it. I have seen guys at the gun show walk up to guys that have rifles for sale and ask is that a Century gun? The guy selling it would say yes it is. The potential buys would then just walk away. I have had this happen to me too.

I am just letting you know what can happen when buying a Century rifle. I am not trying to be a CAI hater, I am just letting you know of my experience with them.:dunno: