close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Central vacuum system recommendation

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cubdriver, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

Hi All -

I'm in the middle of a home renovation and am thinking about installing a central vacuum system while everything is open and accessible. Trouble is I don't know much about brands/reliability, etc, so I figured I'd ask the collective for your thoughts.

So, does anyone have any input? Good brands, bad brands, features to look for? The house is about 1900 sq ft, 2 story, and will be mostly hard surface floors - hardwood, vinyl and tile, with a few area rugs. I presently have an ancient Electrolux canister (70s vintage) that still works very well, but it weighs a ton and is a PITA to drag around.

I'm interested in hearing people's experiences with central vac.

-Pat

2. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

My mother has one in her house. It is a huge canister in the garage, with little dustpan outlets all over the house and connectors to plug in the vacuum attachment. Personally I think it is the biggest piece of junk ever and a waste of space. My 6 year old dyson runs circles around it as far as cleaning, noise, ease of use, ease to empty, and overall usefulness. The only close argument would be weight but the dyson doesn't weigh that much, plus her attachment thing is constantly getting misplaced around the house.

3. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Same here. My mother has had several central vac systems since I was a kid. I took my Dyson over to demonstrate just how poorly the central vac system actually vacuumed. Pulled up all kinds of stuff the central vac doesn't. Now she wants a Dyson.

On top of poor suction, dragging a big vacuum hose is a great deal less convenient than a quality upright. Plus it takes up more space.

I'd never put in a central vac system. Those transport tubes at the bank on the other hand.... :rofl:

4. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

I had one. Loved it. One day it stopped working. Repairman said that a mouse had eaten a hole in the tubing. The whole system lost pressure. He said he would have to tear the entire house apart to find the hole, which would cost thousands. Bye-bye CVS.

5. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

I have an older one and love it- BUT I only use it in the garage and for vacuuming the basement stairs. I use a Eureka Boss for the rest of the house. It's a hotel.type vacuum and takes a beating. I just don't want to lug the hose around the house I guess.

6. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

I have had one in every house we have lived in. I wouldn't have anything else. All the fine dust goes outside, unlike conventional vac's that just spread it around. Suction is as good as my big shop vac. No bags to empty or buy, just dump the bucket every few months. I love not having to drag a heavy, noisy machine around the house. The best brand? Vacuflo.

7. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

That's too bad. I would think that the leak would be easy to find. A hole that large should make a lot of noise.

8. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

I've had two of them.
    We tried to use them but found it much easier to use the upright. YMMV.

9. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

To those who've had them installed, what was the cost?

10. rotjovi

rotjovi

Believe it or not, my Jayco 5th wheel came with a central VAC system directly from the factory!! I love it!!

"Look the bull in the ass and laugh!"

11. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

I wouldn't get anything installed that takes 'work' to find a leak like the one previously mentioned. (and...on that note...really? house inspectors run a camera down your toilet all the way to the sewer, and he can't figure it out?)

At any rate, a $5-600 investment in a Dyson will be significantly cheaper, and much more repairable or replaceable in 5 or 10 years...

12. mtpisgah

mtpisgah

We have one and don't use the attachments. We use the floor vent in the kitchen and one of the hall outlets with a 3' hose. Having all hardwood floors is nice because we can sweep it all up into a couple of piles and then suck it up.

13. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

The fine dust being sent elsewhere is one of the things I like about the idea. Thanks for the brand info, I'll look into Vacuflo.

Another I saw mentioned that seemed to have a good warranty was a brand called Cana-vac. Anyone heard of that one?

Thanks for the input so far.

-Pat