close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Central Air Question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DWavs, Jun 20, 2012.

1. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

This will be the third summer since we had our 2.5 ton Carrier unit put in. Do most people schedule a certain maintenance routine or just wait until something goes awry?

Everything is working fine but was curious.

Thanks!

2. G17Jake

G17Jake

I clean the condenser unit each year with a hose.

My AC is 20 years old, so I should probably have it checked to see if it is running at max efficiency.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

3. sputnik767

sputnik767

I honestly can't imagine what a "scheduled maintenance" thing could discover in a properly-functioning unit. There are only a few things that can go wrong with them, limited to electrical issues (fuses, wiring), mechanical issues (busted compressor, etc), or freon leaks. None of those things are apparent unless the problem is clearly present. Just my opinion, and no, I'm in no way affiliated with the industry.

4. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Carrier pushes a yearly checkup service.

Being that new, other than changing the filter on a regular bases, there isn't much to do until it starts acting up. I'd buy a gallon of coil cleaner, mix it as directed and spray the outside condensor with a bug/garden sprayer, let sit a few minutes to foam out all the debris and rinse with a garden hose. It's caustic so don't let the pets drink the run off. If you don't have many grass clippings, dirt, or tree sap/leaves/debris, you can get by cleaning it every couple years. I turn the breaker to the outside unit off and clean mine yearly, but we have a lot of debris getting sucked into ours. The inside evaporator coil can go several years without the being cleaned if you keep the filter changed regularly. Most people never have them serviced or cleaned until they have a problem.

5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

We run our A/C 9 months a year. I actually have 3 central units: 5 Ton, 3 Ton and 1.5 ton. Every few years I have the company come out and clean the coils. I don't think it does much unless they remove the coils and re-solder.

You should have a condensate drain line off of the condensing unit with a T coming off. Check the pan for clogs and pour some bleach in the line to clean out the slime and prevent it from clogging.

6. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to KY to NC to OH to VA to GA to NY to FL....
    That is obvious.:supergrin:

:wavey:

7. VA27

VA27

GeoThermal is the way to go. Nothing outside to worry about. My first unit lasted so long that there were no parts available to repair it, and the new unit was so much more efficient that the electric bill went down.

8. TnGlocker12

TnGlocker12

This is what I have and am so thankful that my builder installed this system.

9. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I just had an issue with mine last night. Seems the condensation drain line was running to an old sink in the basement that hadn't been used in at least 6 years (before I moved in). At some point the drain clogged and overflowed into my basement. I repositioned the line last night into a floor drain, but am pretty pissed now.

Is it normal for 2-3 cups of water to drain from the condensation line?

10. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

It's humid here and I've seen them drain a steady stream of water. A couple of cups an hour sounds like very little.

John

P.S. - I have a 25000 btu (or 2.08 tons) Frigidaire window unit that's rated to remove 8 pints per hour.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  11. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

thanks John.

12. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Depends on how long it's been running. It can pull a lot of humidity from the inside air under most conditions. When it's really humid, many will trickle an almost constant stream, in many areas of the country.

ETA: nevermind...:zipmouth:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Mine has heat attached. And humidifier, too. I get the whole thing looked at annually. No problems in 10 years, but there have been worn out parts replaced from time to time.

14. 3RASER

3RASER

As others have said, not much you can do until it acts up. You can do several things though. 1. Change filter every year. 2. Pour 1 cup of bleach through drain line every month. 3. Gently wash coil with water hose-careful not to lay over fins (if it appears dirty). If it is not cooling, possible freon or capacitor problem/ which is common. And yes, it is normal for water to run through the drain line, but not the emergency drain line. That means water is in the emergency drain pan, and there is a stoppage in the primary drain line. That is an easy fix to, just blow compressed air through the line with a hose. If its humid outside, the coil inside could freeze up. In that case, turn on the fan to melt the ice, and then it should run fine.

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I run mine all summer long in 90+ humidity and the coils don't freeze. I don't believe it is normal.

16. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I buy a preventative maintenance plan with my regular AC guy. Costs me $200/yr for two systems plus I get a discount on any service needs I have have. Cheap insurance IMO.

Greg

17. 3RASER

3RASER

They usually don't unless it is dirty, or it has a low freon level.

18. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Very good advice. Keep the condensor clean.

:cool:

19. rgb03

rgb03

This. Good info here. I install for a living and this is what I tell people to do. Be careful not to over spray the area that the wires run into. They are made to withstand normal storms but aren't water proof. Also spray from the top down aiming the hose on more of downward angle. You want to drive the dirt etc down and out not further into the coils.

20. MLM

MLM

I believe low air flow across/through the condenser will cause it to freeze up also. Typically caused by dirty filter restricting the air flow.