Cell phones w/bluetooth

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Generalcarry, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I’m looking at the Motorola E 815 cell phone with bluetooth. I’m with Verizon but my contract is up in December. I leased a car for my wife that has the hands free set up for a bluetooth phone. I’m a total neophyte on this subject but after some research, I narrowed my choice down to the E 815. Of all the reviews I read, the two that concern me the most were:

1. Being in “EV-DO coverage areas” everything was great…
    2. “Verizon disables bluetooth file transfers”

I want the phone to work well from whatever location it’s used from, and that “ EV-DO coverage areas” does not sound good. I don’t know exactly what it means, but it sounds like I could have trouble with it.

I’m assuming that the “disables bluetooth file transfers” has something to do with receiving other media and not necessarily dealing with phone calls. Again, damned if I know.

Bottom line, if I’m riding Pinetar, Arkansas I want GOOD reception. Please keep it as simple as you can if you’re able to help me out.

2. funbob

funbob do a lil' dance

I have the e815 on Verizon with a Moto HS805 bluetooth headset and I can't recommend it enough. Best phone I've ever owned.

To adress your concerns, EV-DO is the name of the 3G high speed data technology that CDMA carriers are deploying in this country. Verizon refers to it by the brand name of Vcast and it's primary feature is to let you watch streaming video from your phone. With a data card, a laptop, and a data plan, you can get wireless internet at speeds of 400-700Kbps. It has nothing to do with coverage areas or quality of coverage as the technology has nothing to do with voice voice calls.

And yes, Verizon does have an annoying habbit of dsaibling certain features on their phones to lock you into paying more money to use their features. So unless you have a specific need for bluetooth file transfer functionality, you probably won't miss it. Though, there are a nubmer of hacks and workarounds for these limitations.

3. GreenBeret1631

GreenBeret1631

I have the Motorola V-710 Blue tooth phones on the Verizon service. I also have two Lexus vehicles that have the "blue tooth" hands off feature.

The phones work just fine for calling or receiving calls Via the system, the glitch is that Verizon has had Motorola, supply the phones, so that your phone book will not transfer to the car's system from the phone.

Lexus has a set-up where 20 or so numbers can be set up to "one touch," dial through the system. So, one can not transfer the numbers Via the Verizon Motorola V-710 to your cars system.

The local lexus dealer, (Fife, WA) who is aware of this problem, went to the trouble of buying a non-Verizon blue tooth phone and when supplied by owners did transfer a list of your numbers to from your phone to the car. (I did this.)

This was the only work around that I'm aware of for this problem. If you get a Verizon Blue Tooth phone you may run into this problem.

4. funbob

funbob do a lil' dance

Here's the official VZW BT car compatibility chart...

http://dts.vzw.com/pdf/Motorola_carkit_e815.pdf

As GreenBeret mentioned, Lexus/Toyota is problematic because OPP is not enabled by VZW, which is what those cars require for PB transfers. Now if Motorola and Bluetooth SIG would grow some balls and demand standards compliance by the carriers, this problem wouldn't exsist, but that's a different discussion entirely. The highline car dealers are smart and have been using this VZW phone to non-VZW phone to car kludge to get things working for their cusomters.

5. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

I'm with Cingular/ATT and I use my phone's BT to synch with my Palm Pilot and my laptop all the time.

I think it is the height of Bullpucky for a company to disable a feature built into something you ARE BUYING!

6. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

Be aware, the Motorola E815 is bluetooth capable, but currently only with OBEX and only after a ROM (seem) edit. "We" are waiting on another carrier to release the E815 with a different firmware that has both OBEX and OPP over BT enabled, so we can flash our phones to add the OPP functionality.

The Verizon version of the E815 is crippled, much like the V710 was.

You can also disable the EV-DO network connectivity for the phone also. I did this on my E815 - provide solid 1X (CDMA) coverage everywhere and allows the phone to get close to its advertised 280 hours / 280 minutes talk time. With EV-DO I was lucky to get 2 days standy.

More info : http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=294

7. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Thanks for your help. I'm still not 100% sure of what you're saying, but I'm kind of "running around the perimeter" of your knowledge. I see they have both the E815 and V 710 on sale. I'll get my wife the E model and try the V model myself. I have but one more VERY important question. Can the ringers be heard loud and clear? We both have the Verizon Audiovox 8600 and I can't hear the ring tones in the car.

8. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

E815 is the replacement for the V710.

Yes, the ringer volume can be turned up, and it is very loud. It uses the speakerphone to ring.

9. funbob

funbob do a lil' dance

The E815 ringer is loud and clear. No problems hearing it in the car or using the speakerphone in the car for that matter. Vibration is a bit weak, I can't feel it with the phone in a case, but in a plastic belt clip, it's fine. I'd steer clear of the V710 entirely (or at least keep the E for yourself and give the wife the V ;f). It's not bad phone, but the E815 is a vastly improved product. The responsiveness of the UI alone makes it worth getting over the V710.

10. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Well for ~$30, two E815's it will be. That will also benefit me as I'll only have to learn the functions of one phone. I'll use hers to practice on. You should see how much (and how little time) it took me to screw up her work laptop:) I'm not happy until I work the possibilities.
    Thanks again.