cell phone (what to get next) question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by larry_minn, Aug 23, 2019.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I started with the bag phone, magnetic antenna, roaming... The brick.

Then small, front pocket flip phones. "Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life on this planet".
    I keep the phones until they are no longer supported. Dunk them in water (Mt Dew once) but 5 yr life span is short for me.

It's happening again. My phone won't work after Jan 1st. They told me thus last yr but it got delayed. I am told my phone will not work after midnight the 31st of Dec. plus I can no longer buy a basic phone, get $50 back and done.. Phones from $5-60 a month. (Maybe more)

The IPhone 7 32gbis $5 a month. Moving to IPhone 8 64gb is $15 a month.

Gor person mainly using the phone to talk, text, maybe gps, start trying some apps as I have 8 gb wifi a month..
    IS the 8 worth 3x the money? I will be buying two. I liked the front pocket without looking like I was happy to see someone of the thin phones.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019

2. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I'm not an iPhone fan, but the one good thing about them is that they keep the updates current. I finally got one after waiting months for security updates from my carrier for my Samsung, Motorola, etc.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  3. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

I’ve Had the same I phone for years. But I use it for calls and texts. Not a social media guy so the new phones do nothing for me.

4. larry_minn

As I forgot to be clear. I don't want to pay a lot. I am amazed what a phone can go thru. Take it apart, flush with clean water (met dew case) cook in solar oven, reassemble keep using.
    I have dropped it from 8' and put it back working. Keys are worn, but I know where what is...
    It likely would last another yr before first battery fails. It still goes 3+ days between charges.

5. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    My iPhone SE cost $130 on Craigslist. I bought it so I could take it to xfinity Mobile. Ymmv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Dave514

Dave514

'No Touch' interface. Either by camera recognizing your eyes, with special glasses, a sensor over your ear...something is going to allow you to control you phone without touch or speech.

7. Liftedpsd2010

Liftedpsd2010

iPhone 8 is definitely worth the extra money. It’s water resistant and trust me it really is. Here’s an underwater picture I took with my 8[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I didn’t know the newer phones could take underwater pics. I knew they were water resistant though. Very cool picture.

9. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

10. Liftedpsd2010

Liftedpsd2010

Yes I’ve had mine 2 years November and take it with me everywhere. That was in the Bahamas. I’ve never had it deeper than about 6ft. But I do take a lot of under water photos with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. larry_minn

A couple say 5meters for up go 60 minutes. Just got email. Free phone,,new line only. So see if I could cancel, get new with same number. Or get new line. Nobody has my number again.... Might be worth it..

12. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Who is your carrier? LostWife and I have a Samsung Galaxy Prime, some call it a J4,5,6,7 or the like. It may be a little slow for the modern phones, but we like the size (I saw an endorsement here? for a Note 10. 6.8 inch screen. Really? That's a tablet)
    Anyhoo, we like the phone and know we'll be buying something some day, just hoep it is a while. $100 will buy a lot of phone if you don't have to spend $1K on one to impress your friend, and it sounds like you don't.
    My parents have a IPhone 8, of some designate, and love them. I don't "I" anything, so can't help you there.
    Happy Shopping

13. jmohme

jmohme

14. jmohme

jmohme

+1 on the SE.
    It is the last of the iphones that are not obnoxiously large.
    Pesonally, if not for the weather radar app, I would probably have gotten away from not so smart phones a long time a go.

My wife and daughter both have the latest/greatest iphones. I have seen nothing they do that justifies the price. My wife still has to walk to the end of our driveway to get a strong enough signal to make a call, yet it will still butt dial from inside the house.

People tell me that these phones have awsome camears.
    I have awsome full frame Nikons, and don't care about phone cameras with image sensors the size of an apple seed.
    In fact, I jsut bought a new D850. Now that is an awesome camera.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  15. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

$800+ for a phone is just insane.

bandsaw and jmohme like this.
  16. berto62

berto62

But, it's not just a phone. It is a pretty powerful information device that you can carry in your pocket

17. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

I giggle every time someone make the argument about the "Awesome camera" in a phone. It may have a huge digital footprint, and most take good enough for the people who live on the thing and look at them on small screens, and even larger in some cases. That isn't the downfall, it is the lens.

18. jmohme

jmohme

My ipad is a better information device than a phone and I am more likely to have my ipad with me than my phone. The phone is a PITA!

LostinTexas likes this.